closest to pass

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony A.

Reaction score
what have most of you found that mates almost seamlessly with pass labs amps? i have the x350 and am looking for a cheaper amp (with high output ratings) for my center and surrounds. i used to own an anthem amp which imo was pretty close in performance to the x150. anyone else have experience mixing and matching with pass amps? thanks.

I would buy two second hand Pass amps from the Aleph range. Not very expensive these days.

true, but they are pretty low powered and, although excellent for 2 channel, i just don't feel they have enough power for dynamic ht.

One of the dealers that I deal with recommended Bryston 9B SST (three channel version) for my center channel and surrounds. I bought that amp and I am very satisfied with it. The front channels are driven with ARC VT 100 III (tube.) I found the sound of the amp to be quite neutral with no emphasis in any frequency area. Upper mid-range is not strident as it is with some solid state designs.

BTW - this amp is modular so additional channels can be added at a later date. Each channel is rated 120 watts into 8 ohms.

Last edited:
Some may disagree but you may be surpised by the Sunfire Cinema Grand. I used to use it for my centers and surrounds and I found it be very very good. It is just not the last word in bass clarity if you drive your center much below 80hz.

Anthony A. said:
true, but they are pretty low powered and, although excellent for 2 channel, i just don't feel they have enough power for dynamic ht.

That's true... Theta makes zero-feedback amps as well, like Pass, but these are also very expensive... Maybe Parasound will do the trick?

garmtz said:
That's true... Theta makes zero-feedback amps as well, like Pass, but these are also very expensive... Maybe Parasound will do the trick?

Is there really such a thing as a zero feedback amp? You mean global feedback?

bryston seems like a good idea although i have never heard one. a couple local dealers who carry both bryston and anthem say the brystons are much better. now, when i compared the pass x150 to the anthem mca30, i found them to be quite good together. now, if i have the pass x350 for my front l/r would it be a bad idea to use a different amp for the center, sides and rear? if this is okay, what would you choose: bryston or krell kav for the center and rears?

Last edited:
I have always found that using different amps results in SERIOUSLY worse integration. I have used a Parasound 5-ch amp and Chord 2-ch amp (on the fronts) together and what earlier (with Parasound amps all around) had sounded like a holographic image, then totally collapsed into a separate front and back soundfield, with no real imaging between front and back AT ALL. Going Chord all the way (and using the same cables for all channels!) resulted in that holograpic 'bubble' again!

I can only give you one good advice just keep on saving money until you can afford an X3 or X5 Pass amp... The only way you will ever be REALLY satisfied... Maybe try second hand?

great, thanks for the advice i think i will stay with the pass stuff all around.

Anthony A. said:
great, thanks for the advice i think i will stay with the pass stuff all around.

Believe me, in the end you will be glad you did it this way...

Back