Cleaning Stators

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4th4orce

Reaction score
Thanks for the invite I have a pair of Aerius that I bought used and need a thorough clean. Ive removed the side panels and the bottom grill. Ive cleaned the woofer baffle and grill. How do you clean the stators? Has anybody done it the YT way

Last edited:
Hola and welcome,

Here is a trick for you: Martin Logan Shower Cleaning PDF

Your Aerius were made in the early 90s. Sometimes you need to replace the stat panels. They are expensive, but the new panels hold a 5 year factory warranty. If after the shower they still are not working nicely, a replacement is a must.

Happy listening!

Thanks. To be honest Ive only had them less than six months so havent really had time to properly evaluate them as I havent finished building my system yet. I powered them up and had a brief listen from an ipad so the situation was less than ideal. However I noticed an intermittent rattling at low frequencies which sounded a little bit like a torn woofer. After inspecting them that has been ruled out. They do need a new set of feet/ spikes as the current ones are unable to locked down properly and I suspect this maybe the source of the problem . I will reread the thread on this subject before buying .What I do want to know is will I have to dismantle the subwoofer box to take the old inserts for the spikes out. The main problem is they have become loose and are no longer secure in the wooden base.
Hola and welcome,

Your Aerius were made in the early 90s. Sometimes you need to replace the stat panels. They are expensive, but the new panels hold a 5 year factory warranty. If after the shower they still are not working nicely, a replacement is a must.

Happy listening!

Hola and welcome,

Happy listening!

Hola and welcome,

Happy listening!

yes , be sure to get the 'loose ends' secured and then you can better evaluate the overall condition. Good luck and welcome aboard !

How do you know it's a stator problem and not a woofer problem? You say the rattle is at low frequencies, which are put out by the woofers. Since the feet are loose, maybe there is more than that wrong in the woofer compartment. I have had zero problems with my original Aerius: no issues whatsoever. I bought them used 20 years ago. Maybe they were misused or mishandled before you purchased them? What amps were they used with by former owner(s); how loudly were they played, how clean and dust/smoke free was that environment, etc etc.

Attachments

• Manu date.txt
    38 bytes · Views: 11
  • Hi-fi system 4 email.jpg
    Hi-fi system 4 email.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 13
Hola,

Sometimes I had a bad position where the coil of the woofer scratches the magnet. Just moving the woofer position did fix the problem. The top now is at the bottom. Do this on both woofers. Also, I had a loose cable touching the woofer's cone. This gave a really annoying bass sound. Just check this for the woofers.

Regarding the stats, all the surface area of the diaphragm should produce sound. If you have certain parts of the stat panel dead, you have to replace the panel. If you have dull sound, with the aid of a good shower might bring them back. The disassembly procedure is about the same as it is with the shower cleaning procedure.

Happy listening!

Thanks. To be honest Ive only had them less than six months so havent really had time to properly evaluate them as I havent finished building my system yet. I powered them up and had a brief listen from an ipad so the situation was less than ideal. However I noticed an intermittent rattling at low frequencies which sounded a little bit like a torn woofer. After inspecting them that has been ruled out. They do need a new set of feet/ spikes as the current ones are unable to locked down properly and I suspect this maybe the source of the problem . I will reread the thread on this subject before buying .What I do want to know is will I have to dismantle the subwoofer box to take the old inserts for the spikes out. The main problem is they have become loose and are no longer secure in the wooden base.
Hi,
I don't know if this will help, but I used me ascent i for a brief time without feet/ spikes as I was rearranging my room. I was hearing rattling, whistling and other noises that accompanied the bass notes. It turned out to be air escaping through the threaded spike inserts.

Latest posts

Back