Cleaning Nordost cables.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asindc

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a pair of Nordost cables that have gotten a bit dirty. I know Nordost makes a product called ECO-3, but it costs $40 a bottle, and I can't see using it that much.

What household product(s), if any, would you recommend to clean the cables?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, even if you don't own Nordost cables.

Anthony

Jewelry cleaner can be used. The liquid kind you would dip a diamond ring into.

Last edited:
It will run about $30 but a product called Kontak IMHO and others is probally the best out there and well worth the money and will last a long time. It is a great idea to clean all your cables and least twice a year. It is probally one of the best tweaks you can do. ECO-3 is a teratment not really a good cleaner.

Cable cleansing...

SugarMedia said:
Jewelry cleaner can be used. The liquid kind you would dip a diamond ring into.
SugarMedia,

I just wish, I had some Nordost cables, to dip into liquid jewelry cleaner... :rolleyes:
Well, I wonder if this kind of cleaner would work for all kinds of cables too?

Cheers

-Robin

asindc said:
Hello All,

I have a pair of Nordost cables that have gotten a bit dirty.
Are you talking about the metal contact part at the ends or the flat plastic run part?

asindc said:
What household product(s), if any, would you recommend to clean the cables?

Anthony,

Just cleaned my Red Dawns with the 'wedding ring cleaner' and did notice a small improvement, and it wasn't my imagination. Funny you asked about this very topic, as I stumbled on the answer two days ago.

Hopefully this weekend I will get a chance to use the end of a Q-tip w/ the cleaner to really get into the SPM's and give them a thorough cleaning.

Let me know your results.

Regards.

Sorry to jump in late on the thread...I know it is not a household product, but I use the Caig De-Oxit and Pro Gold on all my contacts. Twice a year I tear down my whole system and clean and treat every connection and find it well worth the time and effort.

Dan

DTB300 said:
Sorry to jump in late on the thread...I know it is not a household product, but I use the Caig De-Oxit and Pro Gold on all my contacts. Twice a year I tear down my whole system and clean and treat every connection and find it well worth the time and effort.

Dan

I do the same thing, every six months with Caig's.

The stuff works wonders.

I also use Pro-Gold, but I switched from De-Oxit to Kontak I feel it does the cleaning part much better. I cleaned a pretty oxidized cable with De-Oxit a couple of times and then cleaned the same end with Kontak it remove even more. I then reversed the process on the other end and used kontak first then De-Oxit and it did not remove more. Give it a try I think you will like it.

Anthony,

I got a reply back from Nordost, and they said jewelry cleaner is very beneficial, but to stay away from the heat shrink area, and to use a cotton ball.

kach22i said:
Are you talking about the metal contact part at the ends or the flat plastic run part?

I'm talking about the flat plastic run part, but the advice on cleaning the contacts is well-received also.

SugarMedia,

I'm encouraged that you used jewelry cleaner on Red Dawns with good results. That means my Solar Winds should be able to hold up. :)

asindc said:
I'm talking about the flat plastic run part
Well, then let's start this over. :)

Just e-mail Nordost, they may say soap and water or they may say a vinyl or plastic cleaner.

Just in case you have microscopic pin-holes in the line, I would stay away from damp sponges. I would also stay away from ammonia (Windex), because just like vinyl records may lead to cracking.

Are these runs exposed to UV? Becareful, Armor-all is the Devil - never use it.

Ask Nordost what they think of "303" Protectant and cleaner, I love the stuff on my car - developed for the aircraft industry where a crack in the rubber windshield moulding at 300 mph is unacceptable.

http://www.303products.com/main.php

kach22i said:
Well, then let's start this over. :)

Just e-mail Nordost, they may say soap and water or they may say a vinyl or plastic cleaner.

Just in case you have microscopic pin-holes in the line, I would stay away from damp sponges. I would also stay away from ammonia (Windex), because just like vinyl records may lead to cracking.

Are these runs exposed to UV? Becareful, Armor-all is the Devil - never use it.

Ask Nordost what they think of "303" Protectant and cleaner, I love the stuff on my car - developed for the aircraft industry where a crack in the rubber windshield moulding at 300 mph is unacceptable.

http://www.303products.com/main.php

I did call Nordost, but ended up having a conversation about the virtues of ECO-3. Not that I blame them, but the whole point of calling them was to find out about alternatives to their product. Oh well...

I've got Goertz cable and while I'm not sure that they are dirty, they do get a nice layer of dust on them. I've been using some dusting cloths that my wife got at the dollar store. They are basically Swifter cloths but generic.

I use Caig for all connections, I too take my system down every 4-6 months. My area is very dusty and it builds up quickly.

Latest posts

Back