Cleaning Aerius stats

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cfrahme52

My Aerius are from 1996.
They still sound great and work like a charm.
I've never had a bit of trouble with them.
I've routinely vacuumed them and ocassionally used compressed air to clean the panels.
Lately I've noticed that the circles in the perfs are not as clear as they used to be.
Other than the shower method, does anyone have any suggestions for a more thorough cleaning? Is it even possible to get these little dust spots out of the perfs?
Also, are replacement panels and woofers available for a speaker of this age?
Thanks,
Charlie

I've not read about a "compressed air" method of cleaning. Sounds dangerous, like it could stretch the mylar.

I don't have the answers you seek, but I'm interested in what you find out.

cfrahme52 said:
Lately I've noticed that the circles in the perfs are not as clear as they used to be. Other than the shower method, does anyone have any suggestions for a more thorough cleaning? Is it even possible to get these little dust spots out of the perfs? Also, are replacement panels and woofers available for a speaker of this age?
Someone posted here about using some Q-Tips to get into the perfs and better clean the panels. Took quite a bit of time if I remember, but the results were good. You can search for it, or maybe they will reply here.

Panels and woofers parts are always available from ML - just give them a call to find out pricing.

Dan

be careful

DTB300 said:
Someone posted here about using some Q-Tips to get into the perfs and better clean the panels. Took quite a bit of time if I remember, but the results were good. You can search for it, or maybe they will reply here.

Panels and woofers parts are always available from ML - just give them a call to find out pricing.

Dan
Hola...don't use any fluid at the Q-Tips that could contain Ammonia...Ammonia is very bad for the stat panel...it wash away the conductive coat of the diaphragm...happy listening,
Roberto.

The canned, compressed air is a product marketed for photo/computer use called DUST-OFF. It doesn't come out with any tremendous force. I do have to be careful not to shake the can during use.
My original users manual reads: " Dirt and dust may be vacuumed off with a brush attachment connected to your vacuum cleaner or you may blow them off with compressed air."

DTB300 said:

Dan
Yep, Q-Tips are great for cleaning those little holes. Tedious but really did the job. I did it on my Sequel IIs and the penals looked like new. Simply stick the cotton bud in (but not that far in to punch a hole in the film! :eek: ), give it a twirl and proceed to the next. Might take you and hour or two to complete.
Ben :cool:

Last edited:
kach22i said:
I've not read about a "compressed air" method of cleaning. Sounds dangerous, like it could stretch the mylar.

I don't have the answers you seek, but I'm interested in what you find out.
I've used compressed air with an air gun to clean out the area where the foam and the Mylar meet at the edges. A few hairs and stubborn dust particles would not come loose with the regular vacuum treatment. Mylar is very robust and I would say this is a safer way than poking around with Q-tips or something similar. :eek:

Last edited:
enilsen said:
I've used compressed air with an air gun to clean out the area where the foam and the Mylar meet at the edges. A few hairs and stubborn dust particles would not come loose with the regular vacuum treatment. Mylar is very robust and I would say this is a safer way than poking around with Q-tips or something similar. :eek:
I have an air compressor on loan from a friend, air rivets on my hovercraft skirt. What would I set the pressure to? Right now the dial is set at 90 psi.

The setting is OK, but I would use caution and not get too close to the diaphragm. The air gun actually dictates how concentrated the compressed air is so your judgment needed when doing this.

I found hundreds of uses for using compressed air to clean out tight spots so I felt quite comfortable applying this to the speakers. Practice first using the compressed air on anything around you first. Detailing the dashboard on your car is a good place to start as you will get a feel for how the air bounces off obstacles and the surface. After a while you will know just how much pressure is needed to remove dust and what not. :)

Always test the quality of the compressed air first. Sometimes moisture has collected in canister and will expel during its immediate use. Common sense will go a long way when using this tool.

Latest posts

Back