Classe CA2200

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rynopr

Which amp besides the Classe CA2200 allows you to hook up a surround pre/pro and a 2 channel pre simultaneously without hooking and unhooking?

In general how do Classes sound with ML? What about this model specifically--any experience?

Thanks

Just last weekend I got to hear Summits driven by a new Classe amp. Not sure of the specific model number but it was stereo and sounded sweet with a wide, deep, tall soundstage. The dealer said the previous week he had driven it with a three channel amp intended to drive the mains and center of a HTS. Evidently when used in stereo mode the unused center channel power supply is recruited in some way to improve power delivery. The dealer said the first person who heard it took it home and then bought it to avoid returning it. If what I heard is any indication of what the rest of the line sounds like, I think ML and Classe are a synergistic match.

I am running a CA-400 on Summits and am very happy. The sound is sweet and full that is toward the warm side. I am running AudioQuest Rockefeller and the sound stage is a little set back, wide and deep. This amp is a couple of generations back and I have not had a chance to audition the latest offerings from Classe. I would hope and expect that the CA-2200 is a great amp. I have a lot of their stuff and have been very happy with the quality, performance and service. Though hanging out here is causing me to think about tubed amps......Steve

rynopr said:
Which amp besides the Classe CA2200 allows you to hook up a surround pre/pro and a 2 channel pre simultaneously without hooking and unhooking?

The function you speak of is related to the 2ch preamp, not the amp itself. The pre needs to have "HT passthrough" to allow you to use a processor along with it.

You would hook up your 2ch preamp to your front (L/R) amp as if it were a 2ch system. You processor's front L/R outputs would be an input to the 2ch pre. The rest of the channels (center, surrounds, sub) would go from the processor to your other amplification.

Processor Passthrough...

dyazdani said:
The function you speak of is related to the 2ch preamp, not the amp itself. The pre needs to have "HT passthrough" to allow you to use a processor along with it.

You would hook up your 2ch preamp to your front (L/R) amp as if it were a 2ch system. You processor's front L/R outputs would be an input to the 2ch pre. The rest of the channels (center, surrounds, sub) would go from the processor to your other amplification.
dyazdani,

Yes, I agree that is want my processor (Pioneer 59Txi) does it switches over from stereo to full 7.1 surround. The processor controls the amplification depending on the mode of listening requested.

dyazdani said:

Absolutely true. And most contemporary 2 channel preamps have that feature.

I'm using Classe Audio CA-2200 coupled with its pre CP-500 to drive my ML Ascent ina only 2 ch. audio system. I'm actually very happy with the setup. The sound is sweet and full and is closed to the sound you get from a tube amp plus all the dynamic of a SS amp.
Speakers were setup according to my room acoustics by my local ML dealer and I get a wide and deep sound stage. The bass is gorgeous and tight. My system is wired with Kimber select cables (XLR IC, KS-3033 HP, jumpers home made out from Kimber as well).
The amp itself does not heat too much but is quite heavy (around 80 lbs).

Okay,

A review article mentions it's ability to do this.... Which pre/pro's have a pass through for 2 ch. stereo then?

Thanks

The Musical Fidelity A5 integrated amp does. You simply use the A5 to power your main L&R speakers and as the pre-amp for your music source. You then connect the L&R main pre-outs from the receiver into the A5s HT/processor input.

When you listen to 2-channel music, just use the A5, no need to even turn on the receiver. For HT, turn on the receiver, select HT bypass on the A5 and "calibrate" the HT system. The A5 in bypass mode simple acts as an external power amp in the HT setup since all of the controls and pre-amp functions are "bypassed".

rynopr said:
Okay,

A review article mentions it's ability to do this.... Which pre/pro's have a pass through for 2 ch. stereo then?

Thanks
Audio Research, Balanced Audio Technology, etc,etc, etc. Any 2 channel pre with a spare input can be used for this purpose.

aliveatfive said:
Audio Research, Balanced Audio Technology, etc,etc, etc. Any 2 channel pre with a spare input can be used for this purpose.

Yes, but if there is no bypass mode, the pre-amp functions will still be active and require you to set the main LR channel level from the 2ch pre.

dyazdani said:
Yes, but if there is no bypass mode, the pre-amp functions will still be active and require you to set the main LR channel level from the 2ch pre.
I have done this in the past and it is a pain IMHO adjusting levels on both, compared to having the HT passthrough and using a singe volume level.

Dan

Right, I don't want to fool with that. That defeats the whole purpose in my opinion.
Okay, does Anthem AV30 or upcoming, Statement D1, Arcam AV9 (Pretty sure AV8 doesn't), top model Adcom, or Parasound C1?

Last edited:
dyazdani said:

Not true, the feature that makes the CA-2200 work is that it is switchable between imputs (balanced and RCA), therefor one can hook their Processor and two channel pre both up at the same time and toggle from the amp to which feed you want.

Latest posts

Back