Class "A" Amplifiers ~ Revealed by a Pro...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
I just found a rather interesting artical by Mesa Boogie Company founder, Randell Smith. :) I am considering the Road King II .v2 ~ 212 Combo Amp. for my electric guitars. Though I was thinking that Mr. Smith's Class "A" tubed amp artical applies to our kind of audio on some level as well. What do you think?

,http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/Smith/ClassA-WebVersion.htm

I have read so many interesting reviews of the Road King II tubed modeling guitar amp. :music:

I used to use a Mesa/Boogie 400+ Bass amp. 12 6L6's, 4 AX7's and 10 NASA grade capacitors pushing a 4-10" cab. and an 18" folded horn sub cab. I held my own with a guitar player using Two Marshall Stacks... yes, my ears are still ringing.

Mesa Boogie ~ Road King II .v2 Combo Amp.

Satch,

That must have been an amazing sound. :D

:music:Check out what I am considering in the near future...

Attachments

• rkng2_w6t.jpg
    rkng2_w6t.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 162
  • RoadKing-Series2-RearPanel-LGcrop.jpg
    RoadKing-Series2-RearPanel-LGcrop.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 160
Hi Robin,

Do you think you really need Four Channels? That Amp probably weighs a Ton! Unless you have a roadie with a strong back, I'd think about maybe a Two Channel model.

Satch

Sometimes less is more

Here is a shot of my current club rig.

1950 Blond S-9 Swingmaster Kay Bass with SWR Natural Blonde acoustic upright bass amp. Takes me about 5 minutes to set the whole thing up.

Satch

Attachments

• 000aaTT2.jpg
    000aaTT2.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 153
The Road King Combo is listed at 106 lbs. I believe...

Hi Robin,

Do you think you really need Four Channels? That Amp probably weighs a Ton! Unless you have a roadie with a strong back, I'd think about maybe a Two Channel model.
Satch,

I think the amplifier weighs more than me. :)My son said he would move it for me. Honestly, I think we wants me to buy it so he can play it as well. He's becoming quite the guitarist in his own right, which is wonderful to observe. :music:He's my youngest son but he's 6'3" and a very strong young man. :)

Lovely Stand-up Bass and Amp...

Here is a shot of my current club rig.

1950 Blond S-9 Swingmaster Kay Bass with SWR Natural Blonde acoustic upright bass amp. Takes me about 5 minutes to set the whole thing up.
Satch,

Really beautiful Bass and amplifier. :)You must make some beautiful music with your set-up. :music: Do you play any other instruments or sing as well?

Robin,

That is a real beauty! I have heard them make some REALLY nice clean sounds as well as amping up for some super rectified distortion! Just awesome!

I have a bunch of amps. I always like the little Peavey Backstage 208 so I have an old one of those, but it really is not a very good amp.

My Marshall JCM600 (602 w/ dual 12" speakers) is smooth as butter and I love the warm tones it throws out there.

Normally I play through an emulator of some kind though. A Line 6 POD, Beheringer V-amp PRO, or a Roland VG99 so for me I need a SUPER NICE acoustic amp that is just clean and pure so each of those effects systems can reproduce the amp that I am requesting it to sound like... So, instead of carrying around a full on PA system, I can use my little Fender Acoustisonic Jr. amp. Very nice and very clean...

Keep us posted Robin!

James

Excellent Sound...

Robin,

That is a real beauty! I have heard them make some REALLY nice clean sounds as well as amping up for some super rectified distortion! Just awesome!

I have a bunch of amps. I always like the little Peavey Backstage 208 so I have an old one of those, but it really is not a very good amp.

My Marshall JCM600 (602 w/ dual 12" speakers) is smooth as butter and I love the warm tones it throws out there.

Normally I play through an emulator of some kind though. A Line 6 POD, Beheringer V-amp PRO, or a Roland VG99 so for me I need a SUPER NICE acoustic amp that is just clean and pure so each of those effects systems can reproduce the amp that I am requesting it to sound like... So, instead of carrying around a full on PA system, I can use my little Fender Acoustisonic Jr. amp. Very nice and very clean...
James,

:DWow! :bowdown:what wonderful equipment you have. My son is influencing me considerable as to what I should purchase. Tubed beautiful 'Tones' are the thing for some of the songs he or I or we play on some of our guitars and songs. The Road King II .v2 tubed modeling amp. really has got it all going on. The only thing that concerns me is the weight, as Satch so rightly pointed out. I don't want my son to hurt his back or anyone else for that matter so I think I might be able to go with seporates i. e., a Head and 2 x 12 cabinet, which can be moved seporately.:)

I have my large Mackie PA system in place at home and for large gigs but for small gigs, I will be purchasing the Fender Passport 500 PA system for use with my voice as well as my acoustic guitars. The Passport only weighs 54 lbs. but some of my friends and I can handle that...:)
Some day I may purchase an acoustic guitar amp like the Roland SA 300 but I'm still undesided on that score...

Attachments

• Road King - seporates.jpg
    Road King - seporates.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Fender Passport 500.jpg
    Fender Passport 500.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Passport closed-up.jpg
    Passport closed-up.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Roland 300.jpg
    Roland 300.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
musicans thread cont.

I was wondering what kind of music you guys are working on and how you practice...

What got me started on the Martin Logan speakers was trying to get as much information out of these old recordings from the Post WWII era. I was really interested in pulling out the upright bass lines of Willie Dixon in the Chess Blues recordings. With the system I have now I'm able to adjust the Depth i to pull out bass lines that before were hidden in the mix.

Playing along with my new stereo system is like being on stage with the ghosts of a bygone era. "Hey Willie, man yer standing on my foot" :D

I've taken my first long break from playing music seriously. Its been two years now.

Anyways, I know this is a thread for electric guitars, but if you guys are considering amps for acoustical instruments, I would take a look at AER.

I know little about amps though. I'd use my AER for various gigs, or when performing with instruments that would overwhelm a classical guitar, such as either clarinet, violin, piano, or combinations thereof, etc. I didn't research a whole lot, but it sounded the most "neutral" to me, and mine is small and lightweight. However, my particular model is undoubtedly too weak in output for most of you guys. I also played a lot of violin, but never needed an amp for that.

Just something to check out. If you do, I'd love to hear your guys' more informed comparative opinions. :D

http://www.aer-amps.de/Sites/sites_ENG/start_E.htm

Back