clarity

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilot

Reaction score
i've changed the position of my clarity and i put them near a wall. The distance from the back is about 15 inches and now the bass frequencies have a tail and sound with a lot of boom.
Do you think that the position of the clarity can cause this kind of sound due to the bas reflex in the back?
Thanks.
marco

i've changed the position of my clarity and i put them near a wall. The distance from the back is about 15 inches and now the bass frequencies have a tail and sound with a lot of boom.
Do you think that the position of the clarity can cause this kind of sound due to the bas reflex in the back?
Thanks.
marco

Si Marco...and not only that, you have lost some of the stage too. ML needs at least to be 2 feet away of the wall. Remember that your Clarity is a dipole speaker. This means that you have the positive transients firing forward, and the negative to the back. and there will be a reflexion from this signal and these produces some time delay. This delay will give you stage. If you are too close to the wall, you will not have this time delay signal and will loose the magic for 3 dimentional sund. Also tons of booming bass. Do this, when listening, bring them at out, and when not listening, put them close to the wall. Also wife will like this array. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Also wife will like this array.

Rob, if you want to make your wife really unhappy:

1) move your speakers forward (-5 point per inch);

2) use the thickest snake possible to connect them to the amps (-2 points per visible inch, subtract 1 point for each 1/10 of inch in thickness and double the total negative points if the snake is any other color except white - which is always the case);

3) run the snakes on youghourt pots, lego pieces, wood cubes, telegraph ceramics or similar for an added -50 points;

4) pay $500 a dozen the items at 3) from your esoteric pusher for -200 points;

and I could go another 10...:devil:

Si Marco...and not only that, you have lost some of the stage too. ML needs at least to be 2 feet away of the wall. Remember that your Clarity is a dipole speaker. This means that you have the positive transients firing forward, and the negative to the back. and there will be a reflexion from this signal and these produces some time delay. This delay will give you stage. If you are too close to the wall, you will not have this time delay signal and will loose the magic for 3 dimentional sund. Also tons of booming bass. Do this, when listening, bring them at out, and when not listening, put them close to the wall. Also wife will like this array. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Hi Roberto,
I know this thread is really old, but i'm faced with a similar problem. I have a pair of Clarity's, the rear panel of which is currently at least 2.2ft (26in) away from the back wall. They sound great! I've stuffed the bass reflex port with some packing material, so at the moment don't have that boomy bass.
I'm soon moving to a smaller place and will be forced to push the Clarity nearer the wall with the panel just about 15in away from the back wall. I will leave the bass reflex port stuffed. In this case, what do you suggest. Would the most optimum solution be to hang two sound absorbers (panel height) behind the panel? I cant do much else as it wont be WAF. Would stuffing the bass port sort out the boomy bass? It seems logical, but i'm not sure. Looking for your intuition on this. Thanks!

I had an option to buy an old Stylos here in HK to replace the Clarity's . The Stylos was a model designed to be on-wall. On further reading it seems that too had some foam. I dont like the look of the Stylos (too tall) but need the option which can allow the speaker to be closer to the back wall. If you feel the Clarity + simple absorption panel + stuffed bass port would work, then I dont need to look at another option. I'll have to find out where to get the panels from too, hence haven't tried it yet.

Last edited:
Hola Neil5M,

Well, a simple solution is, adjust your Clarities to their best position and mark it with the aid of masking take or similar. Then pull back them where they do not disturb the path. Because usually we use our system about two to three hours, the wife will be happy. Just mark the floor with small dots. Your Clarities are not too heavy and they are easy to move around. I will keep the Clarities. The back signal rebound from the back wall is needed for the stage and the place where you want to be seated (virtual teacher- image). If this feature is not important for you, you can set them where the wife is happy.

Happy listening!

Back