Clarity vs. Aerius i

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SanJose-Ty

I'm just about to pull the trigger to buy the Clarity (new from a local dealer). However, there's a possible 8-year-old Aerius i available for about 1/3 price of the new Clarity. I really like the Clarity look but Aerius i is definitely cheaper. Is it worth it to buy the Aerius?

Also, I'll be buying the Cinema i and Grotto from the dealer as well. Thanks.

First and foremost, listen to both and buy what sounds best to you. I own the Aerius and am very happy. It is also worth noting that the Aerius is a standard MartinLogan model, however I believe the Clarity is more of a budget model, albeit newer. The current Aeon is more on the level of the Aerius from what I believe. That said, you can't go wrong if you buy what soudnds best to you.

I have the Aerius i too, but the Clarity has a more advanced stat panel and the aluminum woofer contained in the Aeon. That speaker is about to be discontinued with the new Vantage model minus the powered sub. I would expect the Clarity to sound a little better than the Aerius but the difference may not be significant. Listen and decide for yourself. :)

attyonline said:
I have the Aerius i too, but the Clarity has a more advanced stat panel and the aluminum woofer contained in the Aeon. That speaker is about to be discontinued with the new Vantage model minus the powered sub.

The new speaker that's coming out is the Aeon replacement called the VISTA. It isnt the same as the Vantage - the panel is smaller - and the sub is different like you said (different woofer too).

Regarding the Clarity and the Aerius i.... I would prefer the Clarity on looks and because it's new. As for sound.... I wouldnt discount the Clarity with a good preamp and amp at the helm.

The Vista has a passive woofer like all the previous designs with exception of the CLS series. I believe the Vista will be very close to the Vantage except no powered woofer.

Jeff :cool:

It sounds like these newer speakers (Vantage, Vista, etc) obviously have newly revised technologies. Does everyone think there are distinct differences accoustically if these were side by side in a blind test with the older comparable "i" series? What kinds of differences will one hear with the newer models?

LaserMark4,
Yes there are differences but to be honest everyone hears differently, every room setup and all the preipheral components are different.
In general I would say the "sound presentation" is greater in the newer versions. It is a wider "field dispersion vertically and horizontally with the newer panles and there is better intergration between the woofer and the panel.
Beyond that I caould come up with colorful statements but the best thing I would do is go and listen because now is the time to do so. Most stores have both old and new so you should be able to get an idea.
The other optimal this would be to have a dealer let you try a pair at home.

Jeff

Jeff Zaret said:
The Vista has a passive woofer like all the previous designs with exception of the CLS series. I believe the Vista will be very close to the Vantage except no powered woofer.

Jeff :cool:

Very true.

More details on Vista (from ML Rep):
- Less extension than Vantage
- Smaller panel than Vantage (about 1-2" smaller from top and L-R)
- A different 8" woofer than the Vantage
- Passive (as mentioned earlier)

Thanks Jeff and Joey--

Good descriptions, Jeff-- I am anxious to check these out. I live a couple of hours away from the nearest ML dealer, so sometimes a hassle to go and preview. But this will give me a reason to go see the new models and dream about upgrades.

I decided to play conservatively and bought the new Clarity, along with the Cinema i and Grotto. My wife already approved on the new Clarity "look", so why mess with it, right :) ?
Anyway, now I'm on to the next project of getting new Amp and Pre/Pro. I currently have the Sony STRDB940. What do you recommend for the Amp? Can I use the old Sony as Pre/Pro? Regarding my surrounds, neither the Vignette nor Fresco will work with my backwall (there are sevaral glass windows right behind the listening area, so I need to install the speakers about 12-15 ft high and then point them downward). Can I mix the rears using Definite Tech or something else?

SanJose-Ty said:
I decided to play conservatively and bought the new Clarity, along with the Cinema i and Grotto. My wife already approved on the new Clarity "look", so why mess with it, right :) ?
Anyway, now I'm on to the next project of getting new Amp and Pre/Pro. I currently have the Sony STRDB940. What do you recommend for the Amp? Can I use the old Sony as Pre/Pro? Regarding my surrounds, neither the Vignette nor Fresco will work with my backwall (there are sevaral glass windows right behind the listening area, so I need to install the speakers about 12-15 ft high and then point them downward). Can I mix the rears using Definite Tech or something else?
Hola...your new Clarities can produce outstanding sound and it is important to use good electronics with them...ML is not easy to drive, so do your best to find a good amp to drive them. The big question, which amp? It depends a lot of your liking and sound material. If you are going to use them as just HT, then try to get any amp that can drive low impedance...here is the clue...if you use a not so good amp, your sound will be strident, with glare and fatigue...the sound will be like a stressed sound. On the other hand, there are many good used amps that are designed to work with low impedance that will work fine with your Clarities...it depends a lot of how much you want to put there. Also, you may use your Sony with no problem as a pre and processor. The Vingette can be put anywhere in your room, the special bracket will work in any position that you need...you can put them high with no problem. Keep you MLs...try to not mixed them with other speakers...it is a difficult task to match their sound...hope this can help...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Latest posts

Back