Clarity vs. Aeon

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvj

Reaction score
To further enhance the sound of my new Clarity speakers, I stopped by my local HiFi shop today and picked up a ML Grotto subwoofer, which I will be auditioning over the next fex weeks...

While there I spotted a pair of Aeons, which are priced some $500. more than the Clarity speakers.... in a quick A-B test the sound "seemed" slightly better and the sound stage a bit wider and perhaps deeper. But what I really liked about the Aeons were the wood railings and the somewhat less "techno" look which would look nicer in our living room. Since I am still in the 30-day "no questions asked" grace period, it would be no big deal to do the exchange (apart for the additional hit in the pocketbook... :( ).

But before making a move based on aestetics, I thought I thought I would ask this group to comment on the relative merits of the Aeons vs. the Clarity speakers... Is the Aeon technically more or less the same as the Clarity in terms of panel, technology, woofer etc. or is it a more advanced product (or perhaps less advanced?).

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Sound wise, I prefer the Aeon's over the Clarity's - Just a better all-around sounding speaker in the ML lineup. IMHO

Dan

Also note that the Aeon replacements - the Vista - is coming out by May/June this year.

I'd vote for the Aeons-I think they play louder, have a larger sounstage and better bass slam. But then I own Aeons so I am hardly objective!

I have Clarity's for my video room and B&W 801 series 80 (25 years old) for my listening room. The B&W's are clearly smoother with superb depth and imaging

However, the imaging and upper mid range is really great with the Clarity's after a LOT of tweaking. Since I use a sub woofer crossed over at 80hz, the lower bass is fine. Imaging in stereo mode is good with good depth. However, I do not use these speakers for stereo. They are for for us in a 7.1 system as the left and right speakers.

I just listened to the Last Waltz and the system was run set at 0 DB (very loud as the album call for) on my Lexicon DC-1 after calibration at 75 DB with my radio chakc meter as the manual describes.. The level in the room (12x14) was about 90db with peaks going higher. For me that is loud enough. I use old Hafler DH200 to drive the Clarity's and one channel of my Outlaw 750 to drive the Center channel Cinema.

I experimented and put the DC-1 up to +3 db and got about 95DB C weighted average of Who You Love on that DVD. I did not want to go louder buecasue I do not know how the Martin Logan's are fused or if they are.

How loud do the Aeon's go?

Joel

jmschnur said:
How loud do the Aeon's go?

Joel

....So loud they never clip. Mine are extremely smooth (and enjoyable) at all levels, but that also has alot to do with my power source.

Now I understand-you were reffering to the sensitivity of the speakers-the Clarity's are about 89 or so.

Yes it is clear that one needs good amps that will handle high current at 15 khz for the Clarity's low impedence (1.1 ohms at 20Khz.). My old (24 years) Hafler amp seems to be ok on that point.

I am sure that the Aeon's do a bit better for stereo listening in general. I do think for a 5.1 or 6.1 system in a small to moderal size room they do fine.

Joel

The Aeon's are clearly better then the Claritys.The Claritys are in a series below the Aeon's.

The clarity is an entry-level ESL speaker, its still a good speaker but the aeon is more of a reference quality speaker.

I agree with Joe (zip)... but, either way you go - both are solid speakers.

If you're really set on the Aeons - you may want to either wait for the Vista or ask the dealer about their return policy/upgrade policy (like Tweeter offers a 1 year same price upgrade policy).

Are you sure it's not an Aeon "i" model? The Aeon was discontinued a couple of years ago and replaced with the Aeon "i". The diffence is the "i" has an upgraded electrostat panel (clearspar) and a tweeter with and on/off switch on the back. I have a pair of Aeons in my collection and I think it's a great speaker both in performance and appearance.

Last edited:
The Clarity is what got me hooked on ESLs but after experiencing that vertical sound field limitation, I kept looking. I was *this* close to buying a pair.

Then I found the SL3s here for sale in the classifieds, stopped by while I was in NYC and listened to them and realized that I didn't HAVE to accept that compromised experience.

I drove up and back to NYC from Washington DC in 9 hours to pick them up. Best decision I have made in a long time.

Bottom line is that I loved the Clarity models but they are what they are: entry-level ESLs.

charliemike said:
I drove up and back to NYC from Washington DC in 9 hours to pick them up. Best decision I have made in a long time.
Cool...another Washington DC "ML" member. If I remember correctly, that puts about 4 of us here.

Dan

Craig said:
Are you sure it's not an Aeon "i" model? The Aeon was discontinued a couple of years ago and replaced with the Aeon "i". The diffence is the "i" has an upgraded electrostat panel (clearspar) and a tweeter with and on/off switch on the back. I have a pair of Aeons in my collection and I think it's a great speaker both in performance and appearance.

You are right, Craig. It is the Aeon "i" model. They were delivered yesterday and the first impression in my living room setting is a much more defined or solid bass than the Claritys - perhaps the added weight and the spikes on the Aeons account for that. Also the soundstage is wider... and more defined...

I am also auditioning a Grotto subwoofer... but I don't think I need it now that I have the Aeons... esepcially since I am mostly listening to classical and opera (where the only "thump" you hear is when the Fat Lady dies and falls to the stage :eek: ).

So I am very pleased that I opted for the upgrade to the Aeons... now all I have to do is break in the speakers and then settle down for some incredible music.

Thanks again to the forum for the helpful comments and advise!

jmschnur said:
There are are more in DC than you think.
I imagine so...but only 4 or so have talked about the DC area in the forums here, or list their name and location at DC/MD/VA area.

Dan

I am in Music Heaven

cvj said:
I am also auditioning a Grotto subwoofer... but I don't think I need it now that I have the Aeons... especially since I am mostly listening to classical and opera (where the only "thump" you hear is when the Fat Lady dies and falls to the stage :eek: ).

Quick update - after some careful listening and experimentation I concluded that the ML Grotto subwoofer is not neccessary - and might even be distracting - when listening to the AEON "i" (in my particular listening situation - mostly classical and opera)...

Apart from that I also thought that the Grotto was very pricey, especially since it is made in China :mad:

The Aeons have (IMHO) a very smooth and powerful bass - especially now that they are beginning to "break in" - and together with the ESL panels they provide a wonderful detailed and extended sound stage .. the experience is almost like having a seat in the parterre of the Vienna Musikverein!!! I am in music heaven when I turn these puppies on! :)

Last edited:
cvj said:
The Aeons have (IMHO) a very smooth and powerful bass - especially now that they are beginning to "break in" - and together with the ESL panels they provide a wonderful detailed and extended sound stage .. the experience is almost like having a seat in the parterre of the Vienna Musikverein!!! I am in music heaven when I turn these puppies on! :)
Great News!!!

I was always very impressed with the sound of the Aeon's

Dan

Back