Change from Apogee's to Martin Logan

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

ernio1

This is a great website for ML owners. It's very similar to the Apogee owner's site and a great service to ML owners as the Apogee site is to Apogee owners.

I've owned Apogee Caliper Signatures for over 12 years then the ribbons went and I have purchased Ascent I's to replace them. I've now owned the Ascents for about a year.

I'm still getting used to the Ascent's. They have a similar but different sound compared to my old Apogees. The Apogee sound was a lot more up front almost like listening to headphones...and very good. I still miss the Apogee sound.

To me the Ascent's have greater depth and seem to disappear more than the Apogees. Sound is a lot more laid back. Also very good and more accurate in placement of instruments.

I was wondering if anyone else have went from Apogees to ML's? I was wondering what they have experienced in changing.

Ernie.

Hello Ernie

Welcome to the club. I have never heard apogee’s before but if they are anything like Martin Logan’s, once that sound gets into your blood it’s hard to enjoy any thing else.

I have a pair of Ascents myself, if you would like your ascents to have a more forward/focused sound I would recommend you try AudioQuest cables. They do just what creator Bill Lowell, says they do. They focus the sound like focusing a camera lens; you get a forward very 3d like presentation. But with the drawback of a somewhat small sound stage.

Once you get everything matched together there is nothing more intoxicating then the sound of martin Logan’s. IMO
:D

I used to have Apogee Stages, but regrettably sold them when I got married, (and moved into a new home that couldn't accommodate them). The Apogees clearly had more slam and presence, with sound projected outward to the listener. My components have changed since the Apogees, so it's not fair to compare. I now have ML Aerius i's, driven by a Sunfire Cinema Grand. The ML soundstage is more transparent, and deeper, and a tad more sedate, as you noted. Most importantly, the ML's have a higher WAF, and the narrower footprint works in my limited space. I see that Graz, in Australia, now offers Apogee replacement ribbons, and is even offering a new full ribbon speaker design (monstrous size, price, and undoubtedly sound)... http://www.apogeeribbons.com

It's a shame Jason Bloom's competition drove Apogee out of business. I believe he passed away a couple years ago. I loved the Apogee sound, but from a practical standpoint, doubt I'll ever own a pair again.

Sleepysurf,

I'm impressed and my wife would appreciate the fact that you consider wife acceptance "most important". You are absolutely right! My wife liked the looks of the Apogees and now the Martin Logans. However, she goes crazy when she sees cables!!!!

ernio1 said:
Sleepysurf,

I'm impressed and my wife would appreciate the fact that you consider wife acceptance "most important". You are absolutely right! My wife liked the looks of the Apogees and now the Martin Logans. However, she goes crazy when she sees cables!!!!

OK - if you're not already doing so, consider using some of the Nordost Flatline series - I can recommend 'Blue Heaven' very highly. I run my Blue Heaven from the amplifer, under the floor boards to emerge directly behind each speaker. WAF - very high!! (This also means that I can use a much shorter run of cable).

Cheers,

David

Latest posts

Back