Center Upgrade

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codesx100

Reaction score
Hey guys so I am thinking about upgrading my center channel again but I need some opinions. Right now I've been using ESL-C for about 8 months. It's been pretty good but tends to have a "box" sounding effect. Nothing is wrong with the speaker electronics wise, just it doesn't sound as good as my other speakers. Not sure if it's because of the design or maybe I need to get it on a separate amp and not my receiver.

My question is if I do need to upgrade I can either get the Focus or I know a few places that still have some Stage Xs new just wondering what some people's experiences have been with each. As I plan to upgrade next year.

When I had a glass shelf a/v stand (low and wide) the center speaker, a Polk CSi5, was on top. It sounded boxy until I raised it up a few inches and brought it all the way out to the edge of the glass. This minimized the "box" sound.

I now have a Motif mounted on the wall, no a/v stand between the L&R speakers, amp on the floor. When I experimented with center speaker placement possibilities I found that being in free airspace was the best sound. I only mounted it on the wall, with the "wall switch" set to on-wall, after I decided to relocate the a/v stand elsewhere and heard no negative qualities from the mounted center.

Interesting, I have it on a glass AV stand like you did. I definitely should try raising it and see if that sound goes away.

When I had a glass shelf a/v stand (low and wide) the center speaker, a Polk CSi5, was on top. It sounded boxy until I raised it up a few inches and brought it all the way out to the edge of the glass. This minimized the "box" sound.

I now have a Motif mounted on the wall, no a/v stand between the L&R speakers, amp on the floor. When I experimented with center speaker placement possibilities I found that being in free airspace was the best sound. I only mounted it on the wall, with the "wall switch" set to on-wall, after I decided to relocate the a/v stand elsewhere and heard no negative qualities from the mounted center.

I agree with what you are saying. I originally had a Stage X and did not use their bracket just placed it on the top of my cabinet. I had too because of space issues. Later on when I got a new panel I had more space so I used the stand that comes with the Stage X to get it off of the top of my cabinet and it did sound much better. Never did mount that one to the wall as the mounting bracket was kind of weird. However I purchased one of the first Focus and did mount it to the wall and that one was even better. Probably mostly it was meant to mount that way and the Focus is a nice step up from the Stage X.

Well now that I've upgraded to 13A mains I'm thinking the Focus C18 would be a better match than my current Motif.

How are you liking the Focus?

Well now that I've upgraded to 13A mains I'm thinking the Focus C18 would be a better match than my current Motif.

How are you liking the Focus?

The focus is awesome. Blows both my previous 50xt and ESL-C out of the water. you will need to pair it with a good amp to really enjoy IMO.

The focus is awesome. Blows both my previous 50xt and ESL-C out of the water. you will need to pair it with a good amp to really enjoy IMO.

Thanks for the good report! Frankly, that's the kind of praise I was expecting, but wanted to hear it for confirmation of what I suspected. Not many reviews out there on these. It's basically a larger version of the Motif with better appointments (binding posts, and nicer hangers). I'm thinking it's gonna be too hard to resist in a couple months (maybe sooner if I pass on an item next up on the list). I've got a good amp for it.

Back