Center speaker

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherian

Reaction score
Need some advise

I am in the process of upgrading my HT. I have changed from Wharfedale to ML. So far I have a pair ML Scenario for the front and a pair of ML Scenario for the rear. I am using a Sunfire Theater Grand II for a pre amp and a Rotel RB-985 MKII to drive the full HT. I am still using the Wharfedale center. The Wharfedale is my weakest link, so it has to go. I would LOVE a ML Theater i. This would be ideal. The Logos or Cinema i would rate second on my list. However the cost is prohibiting me from buying one of these center speakers.

Now I know what I am about to say is blasphemies; What are peoples thoughts in here regarding the Magnepan Magneplanar MG CC (center speaker). Has or have anyone any experience with this speaker? Will it be a good fit with my ML front and rears? Should I just wait and save up for a ML center?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Cherian

Cherian said:
I would LOVE a ML Theater i. This would be ideal. The Logos or Cinema i would rate second on my list. However the cost is prohibiting me from buying one of these center speakers.

I agree with you 100%. I feel out of all the ML Centers, the Theater is the best of the bunch. But it is WAY over priced. In fact my opinion is all the ML Center are overpriced. But this is just my opinion and feelings and nothing more.

Have you tried running a Phantom Center and see how it sounds? Some like it some do not.

Now I know what I am about to say is blasphemies; What are peoples thoughts in here regarding the Magnepan Magneplanar MG CC (center speaker). Has or have anyone any experience with this speaker? Will it be a good fit with my ML front and rears? Should I just wait and save up for a ML center?

Try some different centers out and see if you can live with them compared to what you already have. While you will never get a speaker that will match up exactly timber wise to your ML mains, how much of a change you are willing to put up with is your choice.

I do not own a ML center, and the one that I have, while softer and warming sounding than my main ML's is sufficient for me and my family for Movie watching and some of the three channel classical stuff I listen to. Note, I can also adjust the EQ on my center with my HT Processor unit and have tried to match it up as closely as I can with my mains. Not perfect by any means, but acceptable for me. This is what you need to determine - is it acceptable for you?

Dan

Hello Cherian, well I guess you decided on a Sunfire pre/pro after-all, I hope you are happy with it. I love my TG III. In the same sense that you bought that pre/pro. there are deals to be had for a CC. Maybe I have been lucky, but I have yet to have a bad "used" purchase. It just stands to reason that there are great opportunities. I recently bought a mint Theater (not Theater-i) there is very little difference in the (i) version, It was PERFECT, and I am happy to say I got it from another ML site member!!! I paid 1K!! Would I pay 3K for a CC, NO! would I pay 1K for the BEST CC I ever heard-----------no problem. Look around, if you are not in a hurry, you can get a awesome "reasonable" CC. AS a big HT, guy, the CC is 65% of the audio, and the Theater or i version was the only way for me to go. Jon

Last edited:
jon7988 said:
I recently bought a mint Theater (not Theater-i) there is very little difference in the (i) version, It was PERFECT, and I am happy to say I got it from another ML site member!!! I paid 1K!! Would I pay 3K for a CC, NO! would I pay 1K for the BEST CC I ever heard-----------no problem.

That is a great price for the Theater and now well worth it. Great pickup.

Dan

I agree a good CC is important to me as I watch a lot of movies. 70% my speaker time is with movies. I will be patient and keep my eye open for a good deal. I am fine with buying used. Thanks for the tip.

I would agree-- patience!

I've been looking for some time for the right CC deal for my HT to match my Aeon i's and Aerius i's. Just picked up a Theatre (not i) from a ML Club member in the $1,500 range-- and I am so glad I waited and went for the primo speaker. Super sound to finish off the room is well worth the wait!!

LaserMark4 said:
I would agree-- patience!

I've been looking for some time for the right CC deal for my HT to match my Aeon i's and Aerius i's. Just picked up a Theatre (not i) from a ML Club member in the $1,500 range-- and I am so glad I waited and went for the primo speaker. Super sound to finish off the room is well worth the wait!!

Good to hear that. I just bought a used non-i Theater for the same price. I seriously considered the Cinema, but with the Ascents (or Odysseys, if I pull the trigger), I figured I might as well. Nothing quite as irritating as not being able to clearly hear dialogue during a movie!

Does anyone know how well the centre speakers fresco or vignette go with
the els speakers (I have a pair of clarities) I live in the uk and the cinema or theatre are way out of my price bracket. Not just for the speaker but getting something decent to drive them with. I have concentrated on 2 channel but want to upgrade my hs system now. I have a krell 400xi for an ampilfier and use a yamaha dspe800. Not really bothered about the rears as they are ok for me but my monitor audio centre just doesn't match very well.

Cheers

Mark

Back