Center speaker

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherian

Reaction score
Center speaker

Hello, I am new the Martin Logan group. I have always admired these speakers and yesterday I got my first set of MLs. I got a set of used (perfect condition) Scenario speakers. I am using them as the front left and right channel for a 5.1 surround system. For now I have a Wharfedale center speaker. It is only ok. What do people in here think about the ML Logos as a center speaker? Will this be a good fit with my Scenario. Any advise is appreciated.

C

All Martin Logan all the time....

Cherian,

Hello, and Welcome!!! You have come to the right place, to discuss all things, Martin Logan... The fact is, everyone here loves these wonderful speakers. An appreciation of the ML products, has brought us together, in a commonality of purpose, sharing our pursuit of beautiful sound... It is good to have you here, as a positive contributing new member of the, 'Matin Logan Owners Club'. :D

Let me first, begin by just stating, for the record, I have never heard ML's, Scenario or Logos speakers, sorry..., but I have heard about them on this site as well as many other places i.e., various reviews and the ML home site. I can give you some advice though, IMHO, try to stay with an all ML system, if it is, at all possible. IMO, the homiogenic seamlessness of an, all ML system is awesome and a terrific, wonderful and beautiful sound to behold. As you may know already, ML's electrostaic speakers, are extremely fast, so it makes perfect sence to have a center ML (Logos) speaker, IMHO. From all I have read the, ML Logos, is an excellent, center channel speaker, and still is...

I am curious about your system... What does it consist of, at this point is time, besides the, Wharfedale (Center)? What are you running, for a suwoofer? Also, what are the dimensions, of your Home Theater room? And importantly, what are you currently using for your cabling (speakers and interconnects)? Last question, what amplifier / prosessor, are you using to drive your, Scenario's and your 5.1 system? :)

Again, it is good to have you here at the ML Club, Cherian.

-Robin

Cherian said:
Center speaker

Hello, I am new the Martin Logan group. I have always admired these speakers and yesterday I got my first set of MLs. I got a set of used (perfect condition) Scenario speakers. I am using them as the front left and right channel for a 5.1 surround system. For now I have a Wharfedale center speaker. It is only ok. What do people in here think about the ML Logos as a center speaker? Will this be a good fit with my Scenario. Any advise is appreciated.

C

Personaly, I would upgrade to bigger ML's for the front channels b4 upgrading the center. After the upgrade, it would probably sound better with a phantom center (no center) for the time being.

Hello Robin,

Thank you, for such a gracious welcome in the world of MLs. I am looking forward to learning more about ML and its set up.

I have a condo in Downtown Chicago. Because, it is downtown my place is not very big. Total sq ft is only 1000. Where I have my system set up is in my living area that is 12’10” x 10’. My place has an open floor plan, so my kitchen and center island is attached to my living room. Total area is 12’10” x 27’ 3”.

For audio equipment I Use the following:

Subwoofer: Yamaha YST-SW100
Rr: Sony STR-DE925
Rears speakers: Wharfedale monitor MFM-1
Front speakers: Was Wharfedale Opal 90; Now ML Scenario
TV: Panasonic TH-42PX25U/P 42” plasma HD
DVD player: LG LGDVB418 with 1080i HDMI output.
Cable: Monster cable clear jacket.
Power conditioner: Powervar ABC600-11 and ABC1200-11

For the Future:

Receiver: Sunfire Ultimate Grand
Center: ML Logos or ML Cinema i
Rears: ML Script
Subwoofer: ML depth or ML Grotto

All this will take time as to buy as I am a humble electrical engineer. Any advise or thoughts are most welcomed.

Cherian

Cherian said:
Hello Robin,

Thank you, for such a gracious welcome in the world of MLs. I am looking forward to learning more about ML and its set up.

I have a condo in Downtown Chicago. Because, it is downtown my place is not very big. Total sq ft is only 1000. Where I have my system set up is in my living area that is 12’10” x 10’. My place has an open floor plan, so my kitchen and center island is attached to my living room. Total area is 12’10” x 27’ 3”.

For audio equipment I Use the following:

Subwoofer: Yamaha YST-SW100
Rr: Sony STR-DE925
Rears speakers: Wharfedale monitor MFM-1
Front speakers: Was Wharfedale Opal 90; Now ML Scenario
TV: Panasonic TH-42PX25U/P 42” plasma HD
DVD player: LG LGDVB418 with 1080i HDMI output.
Cable: Monster cable clear jacket.
Power conditioner: Powervar ABC600-11 and ABC1200-11

For the Future:

Receiver: Sunfire Ultimate Grand
Center: ML Logos or ML Cinema i
Rears: ML Script
Subwoofer: ML depth or ML Grotto

All this will take time as to buy as I am a humble electrical engineer. Any advise or thoughts are most welcomed.

Cherian
Hola Cherian...welcome to the club. To my liking, I will choose the Cinema i than the Logos. Why? Becuse it is a newer design and has better tonal balance. As I said before, it is due to my liking. the Logos is a great speaker also. Don't forget to use your Scenario at least 2 to 3 feet away from the back wall. They are also a great speakers! Happy listening,
Regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto.

Sorry to interject but I couldn't send you a pm. Robin, love your avatar!

Cherian,
Welcome
I would do your upgrades slowly because as you stated you are basically a "working stiff" and welcome to that club too. LOL :D Also, you need to get as much information as you can before jumping in to an expense that may be wrong for you, your place or at the time.

I would say ask a ton of questions because we are all a bit "crazed" and will offer a boat load of opinions. The alsolute best advice here is something that Roberto has his claim to fame which is "trust your ears". This by far is the overall attribute you need to take away from here.

We all have different rooms, taste, money, and significant others which are part of the equation. (In my case some of that has changed! :p ) Do not feel intimidated because we are all at different levels. My system has changed drastically in the last 2 years and so has my credit card. :eek:

BTW I was raised in the South Side of Chicago.

Good Luck

Jeff :cool:

Thanks Jeff,

Yes, one step at a time. Thats is why I am here to learn.

Go White Sox!!!

Martin Logan speakers...

Cherian,

Thanks for your kind words. I think you have a fine system and beginings of a superb system. I like the fact, that you are considering, an 'all ML speaker system', for the future. IMHO, the homiogenic - all ML speaker system, is the best. Your small, HT environment, is just a challege for now... I beleive, you can use the negative space to your advantage, and have a great time making it work.

IMHO, if you can wait a bit longer, on purchasing the Logos (if possible), so you can check out, the soon to be released, ML "Stage", center channel. It may be within your price range, but if not, the Logos, would be a great speaker too.

For the future:
IMHO, I would highly recommend seporates. I think, it's a much better way to go. ML speakers really do need, voltage / current. Especially, at low ohm's to make them sing. IMHO, consider, the Sunfire Cinema Signature Grand 400~seven or five. IMHO, I think, that you should also consider adding tubes to the path, which sweeten's the sound, i.e., Hybird amplifiers Butler Audio or Pathos amps or, tubed pre-amp, i.e, Sunfire - Vacuum Tube Controller or Conrad-Johnson.

I am considering the above myself,... and using my, Pioneer VSX 59TXi, as a processor. I am also strongly considering, changing / adding, better sounding cabling (Speaker and inconnect). I highly recommend, that you check-out this ML Club, thread by Dan :) :

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796

Enjoy

-Robin

Daryl,

Thank you, so much for noticing... It took me, a lot of time and paitence to find my, full motion, full colorful, totally beautiful avatar. I found, my avatar on the, 'Micro Soft - clip art', web site... I appreciate your kind words. :)

-Robin

I personally like the Cinema better than the Logos. I had the Logos for a couple of years and never thought it sounded as good as the Cinema's I would hear in the stores. I sold it and recently bought a Theater. Just my opinion.

Back