Center Channel Sound Dampening

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waboman

Reaction score
I have a Theater center channel speaker and I'm using this stand. I removed the center shelf and placed the Theater in there, and angled it up. If I put a piece of carpet on the glass shelf the Theater sits on, would that help or just be a waste of time?

AVS-2572-Naked.jpg

what probelm are you experiencing? are you getting a lot of highend effect from all that glass? if the center is angled up would the top shelf not be the offending one?

can we see an actual pic of what's going on?

The Theater can sound muffled at times. I also have to boost the center channel level on my pre/pro. I'm looking for a more precise sound from it. Here's a couple of pics. Sorry for the bad photography.

Theater1.jpg

Theater2.jpg

It is difficult to tell from the photos but ML center speakers with the electrostatic midrange element need to be aimed right at the ears. Otherwise, they tend to sound lifeless. This is due to the narrow radiation pattern of the electrostat driver. I got an adjustable stand for my Cinema recently from ML and started experimenting with positioning with pink noise alternating between the left and center channel until I got an almost seamless match. In my case, the Cinema and integrated stand sits on the floor on an 18" center channel stand. When you look at the Cinema from the sweet spot, it actually appears to be pointed up too far, but sound does not lie. You may or may not have enough room for optimum placement of the Theater on your stand. I have a tv stand similar to yours and I did not have enough room to optimally aim my Cinema when it sat on it.

Waboman,

Any center placed that low is not going to sound its best.

There are a few things you could try to improve, one is to ensure the panel is tilted to be ‘even’ with the seated listeners in the prime locations.

The other, and this one is important, is to place an mid-range to HF absorber behind the center speaker.

Start by grabbing some pillows that have a very open weave cover and are fiber-filled , and throw those in the wall/floor intersection behind the center. Also, make sure the glass surfaces of the bottom of your stand get covered in something absorbent (a 2” thick comforter or a slim pillow) covering the glass.

The longer term answer might be to consider mounting the center above the screen, like member STV (Seth) does.

Thanks guys!

attyonline, what stand are you using? Do you have a picture or a link?

JonFo, I will try the pillow trick. I don't have any carpet around, but will go get some to cover the glass bottom.

Yeah, I've seen STV's pics. I like how he has his center channel mounted on the wall. :cool:

I used too own a cinema i it had too be cranked way up now I have a stage
and it is within 2 db of my mains I have never heard your center channel
although you should be able to here it fairly good where you have it although
any martin should not be so enclosed. I wold mount the tv to the wall a little higher up ditch the stand that comes with the tv and put the center on your
AV rack that is what I did essentially with my system

I assumed that you have the stand that came with the Theater. Is that accurate? I bought the ML stand for my Cinema which allows you to tilt it to the best angle for dialog. I do not have a picture but my stand is a typical center channel stand with the Cinema and its integral stand sitting on top of it. The speaker is about 27 inches off the floor at the top of the speaker, which greatly improved sound quality at some cost to aethetics.

Fishman, great idea, however wall mounting the tv, although really cool, isn't going to happen. I already sit 12' away from it and moving it another 2' back to mount it, doesn't appeal to me. It would be nice, then I could put the Theater on top of the stand the tv is on now.

attyonline, the Theater is on the stand that came with it. When you mentioned you had yours on a stand, I thought it was an aftermarket stand that elevated the height.

JonFo, here's my speaker levels. Doesn't the center channel look high in regards to the other speakers? Or maybe this is acceptable.:confused: I haven't tried it with a pillow yet.

SpeakerLevels.jpg

my cinema i was +10db crazy right

not to harp on this idea but if you got a pull out wall mounting bracket you could still mount your tv up a little higher
and place your center on top of the stand your tv could then even pull out from the wall back and forth I am sure you have seen these articulating arm style mounts you could easily adjust the tv even closer to you than you have it now! getting that great center channel out of that stand will make a big difference. then you will have room for your components underneath as well.that tv could benefit to be raised up a little anyway

Last edited:
I do have it sitting on an after market stand which allows me to get better adjust the ML integral stand for optimum integration.

JonFo, here's my speaker levels. Doesn't the center channel look high in regards to the other speakers? Or maybe this is acceptable.:confused: I haven't tried it with a pillow yet.

It's a bit high, but not unexpectedly so given the location and relative size. I'd not worry too much about that at this point.

But that's the challenge with centers that are fractions of the size of L/R's, but then, you don't really want to be talking about what a good center channel size is with me ;)

I've seen pics of your center channel, JonFo. Very impressive.:cool:

After reading what you and Fish Man said, I might boost my center another .5db.

I agree, getting the Theater out where it can shine is optimal. Unfortunately, mounting the tv, even with an articulating arm, just isn't in the cards.

I need to do the best with the current situation.:banana:

Back