Center channel options for Esl 11s

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tktiomy56

Reaction score
Im finally creating a surround setup with my esl 11s and curious what others use for a center. I looked at the focus c18 amd it’s a beautiful speaker lovely sound…sadly it won’t fit and rather not remount the Sony 83a90j oled. At the moment I’m a bit stumped as the c18 from what others have told me directly matches the 11s and up before u get the 34 center. I’ve considered an esl c or the old series centers…but would they match….the esl c looks great size wise…but I cannot find a dealer to demo that specific speaker. All of this will be paired to a Mca 325 until my mc303 arrives.

tbh, i know you do not want to remount, but i bought an aftermarket adjustable tv stand attached it to my OLED so i had enough room under my tv for the focus, if you can make it some way work its worth every cent. its just that damn good.

ESL C was not bad wasn't my favorite tho, preferred the 50xt I had before it, the 50xt sounded clearer to me with voices but the C blended with my other stats at the time. Cannot comment on the c34 as ive never seen nor heard one in IRL, im sure its a step up from the focus but you need the room for it.

The other options would be getting a used Stage X or Montif X, as you mentioned not sure how they would match, but I can imagine it would be very close and better than the ESL C.

Hmmm can’t find any gloss black new stage x units that are priced accordingly to condition ( multiple overpriced badly taken care of unit ads at m). I agree the stage x seems to be the best, as to the remounting was originally done by magnolia and most appointments from them or other vendors would be late December. Ultimately I think the esl c could work..plus getting it half off fir gloss black is a darn good deal....but if the sound can5 be matched to my 11s no matter the price it would be a bad purchase. I’ll probably pick up a c18 eventually when we move and have a perfectly designed living room( next year). If anything I also have 2 bf 210s and the mc303 when it arrives will be the main driver of the center and 11s so I guess I could fiddle with settings to get it close

Is there enough space above the tv to mount the center speaker? That's where my Motif is mounted and it's the best place for it.

The Motif blends very well with Expressions. I considered getting the C18 until I dedicated a subwoofer to the Motif, set it up as Large, and added an outboard active crossover set to about 170Hz. Since then, it's hard to beat. Yes, the C18 would be better, but it's not high on my list at the moment.

I had a theater i setting over top of my TV in my last setup. It sounded pretty good up there. I was able to sharply angle it down on its stand. I now have the Focus directly under the TV and it sounds a lot better there because it's closer to the level of my head. Either placement will work.

My mains are Prodigies.

I have settled for 50xti with Expressions. Sealed Bass Reflex with foam. Cut-off at 80Hz with dedicated Purifi amp.Running it 1.5 dB hotter than Fronts, it creates quite full sound stage (45 cm from floor, angled at listening position). Look at my thread in Newbies.

I'm using the ESL C with my 11's that I was using with my ESL X's. It's a pretty good match. Panning across the front stage is relatively seamless. Placement is critical, particularly the vertical alignment. At first I was not that impressed. Muffled/boxy. Then I used the rear leveling feet to adjust the front-to-back angle and noticed much improvement in clarity. At some point I do plan on upgrading to the C18, but the ESL C is plenty good for now.

aweome, thankyou guys so much for all the valuable info and feedback lots of rethinking now lol. I think I’m going hit up the esl c for now since I’m getting a dealer overstock gloss black for half off….can’t pass it up then pick up a ficus c18 mid summer next year when new house is done

Lol I agree, I got my 11s from a local dealer in Austin for a steal brand new. I would’ve ordered the 13s if price wasn’t so drastic at what he was giving me the 11s for.

placing an order for a esl c in gloss black today, hopefully it arrives before the holidays. Trying to figure out a good way to get this mc303 into my bdi….these darn handlebars make it awkward

Back