Center Channel Help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spatel

Reaction score
Folks,

I currently have a ML motif wall mounted with and Denon AVR-X3500h driving it! Crossover, on/off wall switch etc. has been configured properly (AFAIK)

I'm disappointed in the audio quality I"m getting (clarity not to my liking). I need a closed enclosure center channel. Can someone share their experience with Motif/ MotifX. Should i be looking for a upgrade?

IMG_2096.jpg

Make sure it's aimed high enough. When mine was below the screen I liked it best when it was aimed a few inches above my head, glancing blow so to speak. A 100Hz crossover setting worked better for my ears.

I have had it mounted above the screen for the last year and like the results much better. When I say mounted on the wall, it means that the speaker is touching the wall. So right now I have angle brackets that I shaped such that the screws that are threaded into the speaker for such usage are also threaded through the brackets, and the bottom edge of the speaker is resting against the wall.

In the last couple months I've been experimenting with my subwoofers and have them set to LFE only, so the Bass Management is sent to my Expressions. As such, I now have the crossover for the Motif set to 150Hz and the result is really good! So good in fact that I stopped thinking about upgrading the Motif to something else, like the Focus.

My first suggestion would be to raise the crossover setting, and don't be shy. I tried all settings up to 200Hz, and then backed off to 150Hz which is the best for my system. I don't know where your sub is but just try it anyway to see what changes. If the sub is along the front wall, the higher setting shouldn't be very locatable, but it's worth a try no matter what.

If a different setting doesn't help, then it may be that the AVR isn't a good match for the Motif.

Hola spatel,
I agreed with ttocs on many recommendations that he does, but I have to say this too. Your Motif model is THX certified. The THX cutting frequency is 80Hz. Play 80Hz tone, and you will notice that it is low midrange tone. Make sure that the power plug from the power supply is totally inserted into it's socket. Sometimes it is not. Just press it hard and push it further.

Happy listening!

I second Roberto's suggestion to verify the power is connected. There is a blue light on the back when power is connected. Without power, there is no midrange. It's happened to me.

I second Roberto's suggestion to verify the power is connected. There is a blue light on the back when power is connected. Without power, there is no midrange. It's happened to me.
Happened to me too on my theater i. The plug doesn't fit very secure. I hope the new speakers have plugs that fit more snug.

I rigged my plug up so that it won't happen again. I just took the cord and wrapped a twist tie around and it attached it to the speaker's stand. This takes the pressure off the plug, since there is slack in the cord against the plug.

Last edited:
Hah!! Ran into the powerplug issue(s) ....yes, it is secured and lit up! I'm going to give the vertical alignment another go as well as adjusting the cross over frequency ..TY so much for all your feedback..its not that it sounds terrible..more that I'm disappointed it doesn't sound better than it does

Could be that the panel is "worn out". I dont think ML puts on new panels for center channels. I feel like my theater i might be a bit worn out. Its more than 15 years old.

Having my Prodigy panels worked on now, they are 20 years old.

Make sure it's aimed high enough...

Also, how far back is your listening position? FYI, I have a 13 year old Motif center channel (not the X version), being driven by a 12 year old Denon 3808, and the clarity is still superb. It sits on top of a cabinet under the wall-mounted TV, so the Motif tweeter is 29 inches off the floor. Seats are ~11.5 ft from the Motif (and TV).

I was extremely happy with a motif and vista front stage for over ten years until upgrading to the focus. It is a very revealing speaker and it sounded amazing for well recorded content and still very good for everything else. The clarity also improved when I modified the mount to make more secure contact to the wall, especially after getting the vertical tilt dialed in. Good luck.

I've got my theater i on top of my monitor. It sounds as if the sound is coming from the screen. The speaker is aimed significantly downward.

20201003_135024.jpg

Correct me if im wrong ..but don't ESL center channels require placement away from the back wall (1-2')?

Last edited:
Something is probably not right. I think your saying that center is THX certified. Anything THX certified older than about 7 years was back when THX really meant something. The old specs were very tough and well respected. But in the last 7 years or so the THX standards have diminished to really nothing. So in theory, that speaker should be awesome. I would do a good center channel check by unplugging all the other speakers and sub. You want just the center channel on by itself. Then play music, movies etc and see how it sounds. If it sounds great then it is not the center causing problems. If it sounds wrong than you something really is wrong with the speaker. Good Luck and let us know what you find!

Folks, I finally figured things out ...changing cross over to 120Hz and moving the speaker 1-2' away from the wall (previously it was wall mounted) made a HUGE difference

TY ALL for chiming in and providing guidance / feedback

Back