CD Player Schitzophrenia

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muad'Dib

Reaction score
My very decent sound Rotel RCD-1070 seems to have developed a major psychosis over it's recent transport from Chicago to Los Angeles and it now no longer recognizes the majority of discs that I own. Anything that is an HDCD or SACD hybrid or personally burned disc is guarunteed not to be read (error is "no disc" error). 50/50 for any other absolutely plain regular disc. Has anybody experienced this and is there hope that it is fixable?

Considering I have 0 income I am not able to buy a new (or used) player at this time.

For those interested, I was forced to keep my HT gear in the closet and am using pure stereo at the moment. Sounds really good in the living room - it's amazing what Logan's can sound like when they're actually setup properly. In the bedroom I was able to put my currently psychotic CD player with my little headphone amp and my HD 600's and I now have a bedroom stereo which (while not on my head) tends to lack some bass, will still fill up the room with music and sound better than most crap available from Best Buy and similar stores.

Thanks for reading and for any words of inspiration regarding the current mental state of my Rotel. And happy holidays everyone.

-D

Are you ocming back to Chicago? I know its off topic but we never got the chance to rock out with my 650s.

Regarding your CD player... I dont know what happened to it.... perhaps someone else will chime in.

D,
I have a RCD-1072 and only had that problem with one CD which turned out to be damaged. Are you now in Los Angeles? Henry Radio in Los Angeles is an authorized Rotel repair facility. You may give them a call. It sounds like the mechanism that actually loads/lifts the cd to read may have been mis-aligned.
Just a guess on that.

Jeff :cool:

I previosuly owned a Rotel cdp and used the Transport Key under the casing to lock it in place when travelling. Does yours have this?

And why not take off the lid for a closer look? Maybe you just need to clean the laser's eye.

Muad'Dib said:
My very decent sound Rotel RCD-1070 seems to have developed a major psychosis over it's recent transport from Chicago to Los Angeles and it now no longer recognizes the majority of discs that I own. Anything that is an HDCD or SACD hybrid or personally burned disc is guarunteed not to be read (error is "no disc" error). 50/50 for any other absolutely plain regular disc. Has anybody experienced this and is there hope that it is fixable?

Considering I have 0 income I am not able to buy a new (or used) player at this time.

For those interested, I was forced to keep my HT gear in the closet and am using pure stereo at the moment. Sounds really good in the living room - it's amazing what Logan's can sound like when they're actually setup properly. In the bedroom I was able to put my currently psychotic CD player with my little headphone amp and my HD 600's and I now have a bedroom stereo which (while not on my head) tends to lack some bass, will still fill up the room with music and sound better than most crap available from Best Buy and similar stores.

Thanks for reading and for any words of inspiration regarding the current mental state of my Rotel. And happy holidays everyone.

-D
Hola. First of all, you might have a dirty optical laser lent. There are a lot of different types of lens cleaners, so try it. If you did it and still is not working, them with the aid of a q-tip, and some alcohol, you have to take the cover of the player off, and them look for the lens and clean it in circular motions. Look carefully to see if there is no alcohol or any fluid after the cleaning. If you have done that, then here are the bad news: the optical lasers are made to last only 1000 hours, any optical laser lens. So, it is not true that they last for ever!!! You have to change the optical block, and you are done with the repair. You also must have the right replacement, because there are so many different in shapes and in performance. Also, their prices are different. It is a normal procedure and a normal service for the unit. Even if you own a Mark Levinson transport or a Krell, you will have the same problem.
Hope this can help!!! Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Back