CD Enhancer

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarMedia

Reaction score
Any thoughts on this stuff? Pretty much the same mktg mumbo jumbo, that you hear on every audio product these days.

http://www.tweekgeek.com/product.asp?pf_id=UltraVivid

With Ultra Vivid, you will hear more of the music that is on the CD. The sound from CDs will be much clearer. The soundstage will be wider and deeper and more focused. Bass will be fuller, yet more precise and distinct. The upper ranges will be less harsh. High frequencies and harmonics will be more defined and natural-sounding.

Plastic cleaner...

SugarMedia said:
Any thoughts on this stuff? Pretty much the same mktg mumbo jumbo, that you hear on every audio product these days.

http://www.tweekgeek.com/product.asp?pf_id=UltraVivid

With Ultra Vivid, you will hear more of the music that is on the CD. The sound from CDs will be much clearer. The soundstage will be wider and deeper and more focused. Bass will be fuller, yet more precise and distinct. The upper ranges will be less harsh. High frequencies and harmonics will be more defined and natural-sounding.
SugarMedia,

IMHO, I think, Ultra Vivid is just very expensive plastic polymer cleaner. Fancy plastic scratch remover, if you will. I would never buy it. Plastic cleaner is all that CD's need, they are just foil coated in a clear plastic disc essencially... ;) Someone really wants to make some money with this boutque item... :)

Cheers

-Robin

Dan,

I figured you would be the one to know about this stuff.
:cool:

You at least saved me 25-50 bucks depending on which one I give a try to. Although, I wonder if the same thing could be achieved from a bottle of RainX, antifog/static.

SugarMedia said:
Dan,
I figured you would be the one to know about this stuff. :cool:
The Shine Ola also comes with a lint free cloth...So far about equal positives about both...Shine is cheaper from what I can see and needs less sprays that recommended (I think 5 is recommended and people found that 3 does quite well)

Dan

A note of caution:

A long time ago, Stereophile magazine recommended the use of Armor-All on cds. They stated that treated with Armor-all, cds became less strident and they developed a "you are there" component which they lacked before. Shortly after these results were published, it was determined that use of Armor-All deteriorates the surface of a cd, eventually rendering it useless. Be careful with any stuff you spray or wipe on cds. You don't want to destroy a valued sonic treasure that you may not be able to re-acquire.

aliveatfive said:
A note of caution:

A long time ago, Stereophile magazine recommended the use of Armor-All on cds. They stated that treated with Armor-all, cds became less strident and they developed a "you are there" component which they lacked before. Shortly after these results were published, it was determined that use of Armor-All deteriorates the surface of a cd, eventually rendering it useless. Be careful with any stuff you spray or wipe on cds. You don't want to destroy a valued sonic treasure that you may not be able to re-acquire.

I suppose that is a very, very good argument. Perhaps, I will just all together stay away from this kind of stuff.

I find my biggest problem with my set-up or any future set-up, not to be if they are acquired by Shoreview or my system going, 'out of date' by newer technology, but more by the fact that I've become a snob so to speak on the recording techniques.

So many CD's that I own are recorded so poorly. Granted if the music is good, it still makes it way through, but these cd's now have more value as background music rather than serious listening music.

I have tried vivid and was not impressed for the $$ and also the work. It is not an easy product to use. It is like waxing your car "wax on wax off". One product I have used to clean up disc and it does seem to remove a little grunge from the sound and also is simple to use is Optrix. It is also very simple to use and the price point is good. I even use it on rented DVDs to clean them up(I can not even imagine what people have done to some of those discs, some have even look like they have been used as a diiner plate). The other good thing is this product does not leave a build up like the example of armor all and also vivid. If anyone has tried the L'art product please post it looks like it might have promise.

I could care less if Absolute Sound recommends something or not, but Shine Ola has gotten good talk about it over at the Asylum...Anyone can stop over and do a search in the Tweek section for Shine Ola and read the posts. These are post by normal audio users.

Dan

DTB300 said:
Shine Ola has gotten good talk about it over at the Asylum...Anyone can stop over and do a search in the Tweek section for Shine Ola and read the posts. These are post by normal audio users.Dan
Dan,

I ran across a few members at the Asylum, who paint the outer edge of their cd with a black marker. Unfortunetly, no one said, 'why and what the benefits are.' Do you have any knowledge on this?

And what about "Cyro" treating a CD. Has anyone tried this? It seems to be a rather inexpensive tweak.

Last edited:
I seem to have found a few articles on the 'black marker' effect. 3/4 of the people hear something, while 1/4 don't. I guess it won't hurt to give it a try.

SugarMedia said:
I ran across a few members at the Asylum, who paint the outer edge of their cd with a black marker.
I thought it was a green marker as it is supposed to absorb the red laser light.

Some other things people are doing:

There is also a device that cuts a slight bit off the outer edge of the CD, making it round(er), and also removing the polished edge - quite an expensive little toy too. Some love it and other have had problems with cracks on the cd from trimming the edge. Personally...I would not go that route.

Then there is the device that is supposed to demagnatize the CD - cannot remember the name...

And on and on and on and.......

Just remember in the audio world, if there is a tweak and there is someone with $$$ to burn, and they "think" they can hear a difference it will be the next best thing since sliced bread. :D

I think I will try the Shine Ola since one of the members of the Asylum who is a die hard SACD fan really likes the change she heard from it.

Dan

DTB300 said:
There is also a device that cuts a slight bit off the outer edge of the CD, making it round(er), and also removing the polished edge - quite an expensive little toy too. Dan

Yes, that little toy is 600 bucks... what a joke.

Further reading for those interested in the Green/black marker effect:
http://www.tweakaudio.com/Cd tweaks.html

SugarMedia said:
Yes, that little toy is 600 bucks... what a joke.
Yep and a bunch of people have experienced small series of cracks (stress fractures) on their CDs making them virtually unplayable.

Yes the audio world is full of fun toys and gadgets. It is not a matter who is right and who is wrong concerning them, it is just a matter of what each of us hears and is it worth it.

Dan

SugarMedia said:
Dan,

I ran across a few members at the Asylum, who paint the outer edge of their cd with a black marker. Unfortunetly, no one said, 'why and what the benefits are.' Do you have any knowledge on this?

And what about "Cyro" treating a CD. Has anyone tried this? It seems to be a rather inexpensive tweak.

I have tried the Green marker and I do like the effect. However at $20.00 its changes are not quite worth it. I like using a wide tip sharpie marker that I can get for about $3.00.

The idea is that laser light scatters when it hits the surface of the disk. By blacking out the edges both inner and outer, it helps to focus the light. I do notice a change in DVD video the picture becomes a bit more focused and has a little more depth to it. In audio I see about the same, more focused and depth to the music.

The changes with the pin are subtle but at $3.00, to me it’s well worth it. Some even say to use a piece of sand paper on the edges before blacking them out.

Grungebuster 2 CD mat

So far the least expensive and the most effective CD tweak was the Grungebuster 2 by Herbie's Audio Lab. For less than 10 USD makes a real improvement. Those lucky ones with the top-loaders with pucks may not need it, but for the front-loading lot quite an audible difference. Both on Red Book and SACD.

http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net

Not that much money for giving it a try, even if you don't like it - but good chances are you will. DVDs sound better too.
Has anyone tried their other products - TT mat, tube damping devices etc ?

Did you get the new smaller version of the full size version. I have the full size version but was thinking about trying the smaller version since I am very happy and impressed with the Herbies Grunge Buster results.

Dan

miljac,
I use Herbies' isloation feet on most of my components and they work great for me in my situation. My shelves are suspended and they are glass in an oak frame so they do vibrate. The isolation feet got rifd of some ringing and defined/cleaned the sound a bit.

I also use his turtable mat and did notice a difference from the original mat which was rubber and about 30 years old! :eek: The sound was cleaner and I had more bass from the tt than before.

Jeff :cool:

Dan,

I have both - and the small one is better - and easier to put on the CD too.

miljac

Jeff,

good to hear that the TT mat is good. Was thinking about it for some time now. Right now have a self-made SpotMat which sounds pretty impressive. (http://www.theanalogdept.com/spotmat.htm). Would be interested in comparison between the two. My spotmat does not look representative, but compared to the other stuff I had in the past (original Thorens, Oracle, several silicone and felt type mats) this one -is- an improvement.

As for glass surfaces, I have a glass rack too and was not impressed with the sound at all. Made my own additional MDF-cork-MDF sandwich platforms for the components - the most audible change was on the CD player - the soundstage and the details have improved dramatically indeed.

If the same result can be achieved with Herbie's Tenderfoot or similar then I could throw out 2.5 cm thick platforms and enjoy the looks of the glass rack :)

miljac

Latest posts

Back