CD/DVD player question and advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chuck Macondo

Hello Hello
I use a single unit to play both CDs and DVDs, the Sony DVPNS700P. I've had it for close to 4 years now and I was happy with it. Until two days ago that is. For some obscure reason it does not want to play CDs any more, DVDs are fine, great sound and picture, but whenever I insert a CD it just says "NO DISC", no matter what CD I use.

Has this happend to any of you?

I just checked Sony's web site and they charge $133 + tax to "repair" the unit, its a flate rate, that can go up if major works is needed. Or they can "exchange" the unit for a refurbished one for $188 + tax.

Since the DVD portion still works fine, I was wondering if you guys had any CD player recommendations, nothing super fancy but good.

I have a NAD T762 receiver driving Ascent i's for 2 channel and for HT use I addionally have a Logos, Descent and a pair of Aeons

Thank you for your wise comments

Sony CD/DVD Player Problems...

Chuck,

:) If you've tried cleaning and such and nothing you can do works...,
I vote for the refurbished model for $188.00, + Tax, especially if you like your Sony DVPNS700P - CD/DVD player. I've found these players are esaier cheaper to just replace, than fix. :eek:
HTH

;) Godd luck...

djmika said:
Heard good things about it...but AV123 has at times had problems getting product out the door when they say they will. R-DES, 12" Sub for example. But they do have an extremely enthusiastic following.

So you know, it's fairly normal for DVD players to drop dead as far as CD or SACD formats. My Philips won't play SACD anymore either.
One of the main problems with Universals or any players having problems playing disc is the lack of maintenance on the drive unit. It is highly recommended to lubricate the drive sled assembly and associated gears every few years. There have been many posts on the proper way to lube your player for extended and happy life.

Also, DVD players don't make the best CD players.
Stock maybe not, but you can get them modded and have significant improvements in sound. I have a Universal Player from Sony that I have had modded - Alexander/Modwright Mods. Total cost for me (player and mods) is around $1200 and it outperforms players in the $3k-$4k range. Both Dan Wright and Allen Wright offer great modifications packages.

Dan

Last edited:
Separate players for CD and DVD players...

djmika said:
Also, DVD players don't make the best CD players.
djmika,

I've found that to be true as well. I plan to purchase separate SACD/CD player. Then a Blue-Ray/DVD player. ;)

Smart move Robin... Although SACD is as good as dead unless you're a classical fanatic and probably soon even for them.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'm ready to buy into the Blue Ray or HD-DVD market just yet and I'm a dealer/installer and get them at cost. I'm pretty high on Blue Ray but I'm interested to see the two battle it out for a while. I think the introduction of the PS3 will probably seal the deal but who knows. The fact that major studios remain divided causes concern.

At some point you have to figure one of them will be chosen by the high end audio community as the next foundation for a hi-res format to take the place of SACD and DVD-A. Let's just hope it's not both. If and when that happens, that will sway my support more than anything.

There's a possability that both formats make it for a while and another generation of universl players will hit the market too.

For now, I'd stick with seperate components for each digital format and not invest a great amount of money into any of them. I'm using a Primare D30.2 CD player which sounds exellent. I "stole" it for less than half of MSRP as a open-box from Magnolia. People off perfectly good gear on Audiogon all the time as well. Anyone looking for a good source will find one for a great deal if they're patient.

Just my two pennies...

Enjoy!

Robin said:
djmika,

I've found that to be true as well. I plan to purchase separate SACD/CD player. Then a Blue-Ray/DVD player. ;)
Very good thinking. I have a pretty good DVD player(Denon 3910) and it can not compare to my shanling. I was thinking about selling both and upgrading to the 5910 for both. I brought it home for a demo and A/B the Shanling and the 5910 and for redbook and SACD the shanling won the battle it was close but the 5910 for lack of better words just seemed cloudy compared to the Shanling. To me it is just a matter of Jack of all trades or expert at one:)

Back