Can the Pathos Twin Tower drive a pair of Ascents

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tax

Hello,

Please be kind enough to provide advice to a new entrant to the world of ML,

I recently purchased a Pathos TT integrated (Hybrid) amplifier and am looking at the possibility of buying a pair of (Dealer Demo) Ascents to create a 2 channel system.

I previously ran a Musical Fidelity A300 integrated amp with PMC OB1 speakers with Rel Sub.

Will 35 watts per channel from the Pathos be enough to run the Ascents at moderate levels in a room 20(L) X 16 (W) X 9 (H). I will be using a Rel Acoustics Storm 111 subwoofer for low base.

Your feedback and experiences are aprreciated.

regards
Tax

Tax,
I do not think that will be enough for the panels and the woofer. It may be enough to drive the panels at moderate volumes but it will be "thin" with the integrated woofer.
Is there an option on Pathos TT to use a pre-out and if so then you could in vest in a more powerful amp in the future.

Jeff :cool:

That's a beautiful amp, however, I'm not sure if a 35w hybrid amp will drive the Ascents to thier full potential. Will your dealer allow you to try your amp with the Ascents to see if they'll work together? You should seriously consider the Vantage to use with that amp. The Vantage will work well with less power than the earlier models and will be an excellent match with a 35w (or even lower) tube amp such as the Pathos TT. That amp deserves a well matched speaker.

Last edited:
Pathos Hybrid TT / SS Amplifier...

Tax,

Welcome to the ML Club!

Yes, on line, the Pathos Hybrid amp looks very cool... I especially liked the Pathos X amp. :D Although I must say, I have never actually heard one. I would have to concur with Jeff though, it might be a little thin, at larger volumes, but I don't really know... :confused:

Is their a possibility of you auditioning this amp with the Demo Ascent i's, prior to actually purchasing the Ascent i's from the dealer? Would he let you connect your Pathos amplifier or better yet take the Ascent i's home to Demo them in your system?

Good luck on your audio quest...

It is good to have you here... :D

That is one nice amp and of course the MLs are nice speakers too. Unfortunately I don't think this will be a synergestic match.

What Craig said about the Vantage would is a step (leap) in the right direction in my opinion.

Of course, just listen to the proposed combination and see what you think - that is what matters - we could all be wrong!

Thank You

Thanks to all of you who provided advice.

Currently the budget given the recent purchase of the Pathos will not allow me to move up the ML line.

We have a very limited distribution and used equipment network here in Australia. The Ascents are around $12,000 Australian dollars and the Summit something like $25K which is a bit steep.

Unfortunately the Pthos doesn't have pre out facilities for bi amping.

So for now it looks like I will stick with the PMC OB1's

Cheers
Tax

Hi Tax!

My brother drives Odysseys with a pathos Logos amplifier and there is more then enough power! Iam shure that Twin towers can d it as well. But you have to try it.

regards GP

Tax said:
Thanks to all of you who provided advice.

Currently the budget given the recent purchase of the Pathos will not allow me to move up the ML line.

We have a very limited distribution and used equipment network here in Australia. The Ascents are around $12,000 Australian dollars and the Summit something like $25K which is a bit steep.

Unfortunately the Pthos doesn't have pre out facilities for bi amping.

So for now it looks like I will stick with the PMC OB1's

Cheers
Tax

DON'T discount it before you've heard it. Listen to the combination and see what YOU think - you are the one that has to listen to it for many years to come!

amey01 said:
DON'T discount it before you've heard it. Listen to the combination and see what YOU think - you are the one that has to listen to it for many years to come!
Great point that all buyers have to remember when deciding on new equipment.

Dan

Pathos Logos and Ascents

Thanks Guys,

Just to let you know that the Pathos Logos and the Ascents have great synergy.

I actually demoed the Ascents with the Logos at the dealer. The Logos is a very different beast. For starters it is 110W @8Ohm doubling at @4 Ohm so it has much more grunt.

I got a good deal on the Demo model TT which worked out cheaper than purchasing the Pathos new.

Anyone here used the Zero autoformers which are supposed to double, treble and quadruple what an amplifier sees as a speaker's impedance?

Regards
Tax

Latest posts

Back