Can ML's work in this monster room?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

nathanso

Hello MLO's, this is my first post here.

I'm contemplating ML's (or possibly Magnepans) but have read much on positioning difficulties, particularly in large rooms.

My room measures 20Wx24Dx18H and has a peaked ceiling. Check the pics:

http://www.n8software.com/IMG_6261.JPG
http://www.n8software.com/IMG_6258.JPG

The spacing between those AR90's is 11ft and the front of the couch is 10ft from the front wall. (The AR90's and DQ-20's are against a 20ft wall.)

I was hoping to place my electrostatics where the AR90's are, albeit a few feet off the front wall. That would put them 10ft apart and only about 7ft from the front edge of the listening couch. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of flexibility with regards to rearranging the room.

Just how well will this work? Can toe-in solve my closeness issue? With a room this size I've read I'll need fairly large ML's.. which do people recommend?

And finally, will my Aragon 8002 amp run ML's? It has 125wpc into 8-oms, 250wpc into 4-ohms.

nathanso
Martinez, CA

I'll start with my two cents worth!

The first problem is you have a nice but reflective room due to the windows behind the speakers and the hardwood floors. The seat with the checkerboard cover is also interfering with your imaging I am guessing? Work on those two items first and then worry about how the speakers will fit? Martin Logans can benefit from a treated back wall. For me when I did my room it really tightened up the overall focus of the soundstage and imaging. Your Aragon should be able to drive the speakers without any problems. :D

nathanso said:
And finally, will my Aragon 8002 amp run ML's? It has 125wpc into 8-oms, 250wpc into 4-ohms.

nathanso
Martinez, CA

FWIW - I've driven MLs (2 different models) with an original Aragon from time to time - especially when my tube amps were being serviced. That amp is very dynamic and works well into low impedance loads. I don't think your room will present problems if you are careful and take time with your setup.

PS - Obviously, Summits would work best in your situation.

Hi Nathanso,

You'll definitely have challenges with the room, but the Aragon will be fine. As far as which ML to select, I'd go with the biggest you can afford. The models with the larger panels create a much larger soundstage and will really shine in a room that big.

If you're looking for new, I'd definitely go with the Summits if you can afford them... If not, I'd be looking for the Odysseys or Prodigys on the used market. If they're still too much $ for you, reQuest would be my last choice as they are the oldest of the big panel models.

Good Luck and if you need any help, shoot me a PM.. I'm in Hayward.

Tom.

Back