Can I swap transformers from a Grotto i to a Grotto? (Pics)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirage_Man

Reaction score
I posted several months ago about my Grotto's transformer that has a mechanical buzz that can be heard from across the room. The sub works fine its just distracting at times. I tired to isolate it as if it were a ground loop but ruled that out.

My cousin has a Grotto i that no longer works and offered to give me the transformer in it which has the core filled and I believe also the rest of the windings are encapsulated which I suspect will take care of the mechanical hum. I pulled both out just now and the specs are almost identical except for a very slight deviation on a couple of the windings (within 1.5v and .5v respectively. If you look at the pics you can see what I mean. The plugs and the pin-outs are identical so it would be plug and play. The only thing being those slight voltage differences.

Can anyone tell me if this will work or not? I don't want to plug it in if I'm just going to blow it up or damage the amp in some way.

Thanks in advance for your help!

This first pic is the transformer from the Grotto.
7n25Yav.jpg

This is the Grotti i.
W7IZ1dj.jpg

Side by side..
eNrXk5Y.jpg

Last edited:
Figured I'd update in case anyone cares. I went ahead and swapped the transformers and it works great. The mechanical buzz is now gone and it's virtually silent except for some very slight electrical noise when you put your ear within a foot or so.

Back