Cables for ML system?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saif

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I bought a ML system 7.1.2 with Denon 4500H. My questions are, do I need a specific cable for the speakers? Someone told me for grade 14 cables but no less than grade 16, and Banan plugs, are important? or should I just connect the cable to the speakers without them?

My Speakers are:

Motion 40, Motion 50xt, 2 sets of motion FX2 for sides and rears, also 2 ceiling speakers from Speakercraft

I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter
Thank you all

Saif

Hola Saif,

Good cables are important because you are going to transfer the audio signal from the amplifier to the speakers. The gauge is very important. I recommend to you to get from a hardware store a Oxygen
Free Copper (OFC) 12 gauge cable. It is not too expensive and will work very good for your Home Theater System. There are many good brands also that make specific and more expensive cables for this purpose. On a cable you have to deal basically with three things: 1) Cable capacitance 2) Cable Inductance and 3) Cable Resistance. With thicker wire, (12 gauge) you have less resistance. and the way that the speaker wire is built, you can get less capacitance and less inductance. Do not buy zipp cord. Buy speaker cable. Usually too, the speaker cable, the wire comes in two colors, black and red. Why is this? Because you have to make sure that you have the polarity on your system correct. Use the red for the + of the speaker and red too at the red of your Denon. And black for - at the Deno and your speakers.

The speaker wires are not only that. The factory where it is built, no matter the brand, had taking care about these three things. Because you had invest good money at your new Home Theater System, it is good to put a little bit on your speaker cables and your HDMI interconnects. Do not spent a fortune, just do not buy very cheap stuff. You are dealing with quality signal too.

Happy listening!

Happy listening!

About six years ago I had the opportunity to try a small variety of cables made by AudioQuest. At the time I owned one of their least expensive star quad cables, a friend loaned me his which were a couple series higher for one set and much higher (over $600 per cable) for the other, and a audio store loaned me a set costing even more. I spent a couple weeks comparing those against 12 gauge speaker wire and 16 gauge speaker wire. The lengths were all 6-8 feet. I had Martin Logan Vista speakers at the time.

After comparing, I came to the conclusion that the expensive cables resulted in less treble and what I had been using was ok. I then purchased some 4 conductor speaker cable which was 14 gauge and twisted the red and black together, and the green and white together, with each pair effectively equalling 11 gauge. This is what I was happiest with and used until recently. I'm still using the same cable, but I twist all 4 conductors together resulting in an effective 8 gauge with which I am even happier!

Resistance, capacitance, inductance. It becomes overly time consuming to examine how these electrical properties interact with each other. I purchased some test meters to conduct tests to measure the wire I use to help explain why one is different from another. So after having spent a great deal of time leading me to what I currently use, I now simply enjoy the music.

The wire I bought is: Cable Matters 14 AWG CL2 In Wall Rated Oxygen-Free Bare Copper 4 Conductor Speaker Wire

If the wire is 10 gauge or less, I prefer to use bare wire. I forced myself to use banana plugs and soldered the 4 twisted together 14 gauge wires into an appropriately sized banana plug. The banana plugs I bought are a springy type which stays tight and are all metal construction.

A wise man on this forum has said many times, "let your ears decide". Thanks Roberto.

edit: oops, I took too long typing my reply. Roberto beat me to it.

Welcome Siaf, Listen to Roberto's recommendation. You will be fine with #12 OFC for the runs you will have.

It appears you will have a great sounding system when it is set up.

Keep us updated on your progress

Brad

Hola Saif,

I forgot to mention that in some speaker wires, usually the cable is transparent, so you are able to see the copper or the metal that you are buying. If the cable is twisted, this shape allow to cut the inductance and the cable skin material cuts the capacitance. The cable manufactures had spent a lot of time in research, giving about the same shape and quality cable skin to minimize this effect.

The gauge No. 12 will assure you to have good signal transfer and very low power loss from the amp to the speakers. Using less gauge, you could loss some effective power and you can lose via heath, the energy that you are sending to the speakers. As thicker is, less loss you have. But you do not need to use 10 or 8 gauge, unless you have to do a very long runs of cable from the amp to the speakers. If you are going to do the installation through the ceiling, never put the speaker cables near or in the conduit with the AC line wires. All your system cables must be away the AC line wires.

Because there is a bunch of cables getting to the amplifier, you can get two conductor flat cables and these cables are paintable. https://www.amazon.com/FRANKEVER-Ad...two+conductor&qid=1554574929&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Do no use any staples to secure the speaker wires if you decide not to use the flat cables. Use plastic wire clips. There are a vast of sizes. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=plastic+wire+clips&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

As Brad said, please keep us posted with your progress and do not hesitate to ask. We love to help!

Happy listening!

Hi Every one,

Thank you soooo much for the help Roberto, am really happy and grateful for your time answering my question! Also to Ttocs and Brad!! Thank you so much.

My room is not that big so I might go with the 12 gauge cables from Mediabridge also will get the Banana plugs from them too. And once am done with my room and installed my system, I will definitely update you guys.

Again thank you so much for your time!

Saif

Back