Cable/gauge?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe we are using three definitions of strand.
a] Several small wires making one conductor or core.
b] One insulated conductor or core.

18AWG stranded
65x36
42x34
19x30
16x30
7x26

Last edited:
I personally use hookup wire as a kind of GRAPHIC EQUALISER for my DIY hifi system. For example, if I were trying to tone down an EXCESSIVELY BRIGHT pair of loudspeakers, I may use 19 GAUGE (37 strand)
copper for my interconnect. This type of interconnect will act as a taming influence, thus reducing the annoying TREBLE EDGINESS somewhat.

Maybe we are using three definitions of strand.
a] Several small wires making one conductor or core.
b] One insulated conductor or core.

18AWG stranded
65x36
42x34
19x30
16x30
7x26

Last edited:
I'm just going to mention this. Ignore it if it contradicts what you know.

20Hz to 20kHz is effectively DC as far as wires are concerned so your speaker cables at these frequencies are simply resistors. The inductance and capacitance is infinitesimally small for audio purposes.

I've worked with copper plates in the GHz range and yes frequencies at the 10^9 are very much effected by wiring and copper sheet width, etc..

At 20kHz or 20x10^3 or 6 orders of magnitude longer the skin effects are barely 3% with a SOLID 12ga wire. If you are using lots of fine strand wire this pretty well disappears.

By the time you get down to where most of us can hear ( probably 15-16kHz ) it is even lower.

A just noticeable difference in sound volume is about 0.5 dB at 80 dB which is 12%

So for the sake of argument in a worst case scenario you can theoretically state that there is a less than 3% drop at 20kHz due to skin effect with a SOLID wire, it would still take 12% to actually hear a difference.

Longer runs of smaller gauge wire just waste power overcoming resistance in the wire. It is not efficient, but it does not model the sound.

Most high end interlink and speaker wire companies are selling snake oil. Like spikes for an amplifier, there is no impact on the sound except what we subjectively believe there is and it has been proven that people think anything that looks impressive sounds better than something that does not look as impressive even if that thing has the exact same guts inside it.

Last edited:
But Mark ……. how dare you make fun of the 'audio fool' community ! ……….. LOL !!!

This is perhaps the appropriate place to mention that Paul McGowan of PS Audio has a series of brief articles entitled, "Paul's Posts", where he discusses a number of different subjects related to audio. He recently dissected the thoughts of Chairman Ethan on "audio myths", and is currently discussing the impact of fuses on sound, a subject I have not investigated as I balk at spending $60+ for a single fuse. Very interesting reading; Paul is squarely in Roberto's "Trust Your Ears" camp.

Here's the link:

http://www.psaudio.com/community/pauls-posts/

But Mark ……. how dare you make fun of the 'audio fool' community ! ……….. LOL !!!

I'm not trying to make fun of anyone. People have beliefs just like religions and just like religions they can't all be right but they will each fight to the death to justify what they believe is true.

I know that I hear different things on different days depending on how I'm feeling and whether I'm specifically trying to hear something. I know that my perceptions of what I remember something sounding like can be wrong just a day later.

If you really want your system to sound better I would recommend starting a serious fitness program. I started a 6 day a week workout schedule, 3 days weights, 2 spin bike and 1 rowing machine and I feel energized and EVERYTHING sounds better. My senses are more alive and I have a lot more energy. My stereo has never sounded this good :)

FYI, I replaced the power cables that came with my speakers to larger gauge cables that are half the length just for appearances. I haven't heard any difference in the sound, but I wasn't expecting to hear a difference in the sound. If I had just purchased $150 power cables with the hope they would improve my sound, I would be listening for something and hearing things differently just because I would be trying to hear something.

Last edited:
How can Paul McGowan get so, so many things wrong?
Why when he makes a statement, doesn't he show some supporting reasoning?

Back