Cable choices with your Martin Logans.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RJ what meter are you using?
I guess you mean me, ttocs (Scott), and not RJ?

The new meter is a Hantek 1832C LCR meter.
71XXG0KGPZL._SL1500_.jpg

Oh right. Those meters & measurements... nothing really fancy. I usually get the installer to do all that then when I have to choose between two kinds, I keep both over a period of several weeks to assess, finally keeping one based in several criteria and mostly by ear. If I like it, and it's more believable, I keep it! So, I leave all those nitty gritty things to the experts, when it comes to measurements.

I remember back a few years ago, there was this chap who was all into measurements and claimed that by specs alone & measuring tools, he can point out the best of the best! So we got together and presented him a particular amplifier with certain specs & measurement data. He claimed that this amp was the best he's ever come across and therefore must be truly amazing.... it turned out to be a Kenwood car audio amp! We laughed so hard that one of the guys lost his dentures... (edit* spelled dentures wrong! too many...🍺)

Goes to show that specs alone aren't the holy grail... of course when the designers behind the brand put together something special, they carry out all the necessary measurements required. All we have to do is listen to it... if it sounds good to fantastic then use it! And that's what I do.

Cheers, RJ

Last edited:
Ah! That Hantek meter is very similar to what my mate uses. I think it's a German brand but I'm not too sure. It's definitely digital and is very accurate. I wouldn't even know where the heck to begin... rather sip a few beers and hope for the best!
Cheers, RJ

On LS cables surely there is a notable difference across different cables (some because the sound level changes a bit). The one giving the "correct" sound - I wouldn't know, so I go for what I like. And then it seems to change when recalibrating the room correction (so I ended with something not too costly around an € or two a meter.)

I'm using DIY Mogami W3082 coax speaker cables. They are what Roger Sanders sold at one time:
http://sanderssoundsystems.com/technical-white-papers/54-cables-white-paper
When I made the change, I thought I could hear some slight improvement to the higher frequencies, but it was subtle at best.
Same here, jtucker. I use Sanders monoblock amps, the Sanders preamplifier, ML 15A's, and Mogami speaker cables. Also use Mogami interconnects. It's a very nice system.

Same here, jtucker. I use Sanders monoblock amps, the Sanders preamplifier, ML 15A's, and Mogami speaker cables. Also use Mogami interconnects. It's a very nice system.
Do you also have a different room for home theater as well? Curious to know what you use in there. What you describe above is great. Did you ever listen to Sander's electrostat speakers?

Hi, I never heard Sander's electrostatic speakers. The system I described is in my living room. In a large upstairs bedroom I have a pair of Summit X's driven by a McIntosh MC2205 power amp and a McIntosh C2300 preamp. In that room, the sound is gorgeous. I have a home theater system in another room, McIntosh electronics and NHT speakers, all voiced matched. Velodyne sub. Just the right components for home theater. I've been in this hobby for 42 years, never tire of it.

Back