Buying A Computer for Audio Recording - What Would be Best for Under $2K?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
:)I was wondering if you gentlemen could assist me?

Now that I have the digital mixer which sports one USB port (Unfortunately no Firewire). I wanted to purchase a computer to connect to it for recording. I am thinking this PC would be used mainly for recording of my singing / guitar playing.

I am confused by the newest Hard Drives (HD) - Solid State Drives (SSD) they seem kinda expensive but look promising ...should I make sure my computer has one of these? Or should I wait till the price comes down and have my son install one later on?

As most of you know, I am really not a computer person but I know some of you have forgotten more than I will ever know. :)

My musical library is on itunes format and I use itunes as my default audio browser.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:)Thank you.

Hi Robin,

I use two methods to record my stuff. A Rowland Edirol http://www.edirol.net/products/en/R-09HR/ or a high quality condenser microphone and a Behringer tube preamp plugged straight into my laptop - or the Edirol!

I have posted such recordings before - and can vouch for the Edirol being a great piece of kit. You have to be careful setting the recording level as with digital there's no headroom, and it will clip.

If you really want to hear want the Edirol sounds like, I can make a file available for you to download - just PM me. It's me playing my Gibson SJ200 acoustic using the Edirol's internal stereo mike - but it'll give you an idea of how good it is. Play it back through your Logans loud and you'll fall over and the quality of the recording:)

The problem with computers is the noise they make. The Edirol is solid state an totally quiet. If you can afford a solid state "drive" that's great, but there will still be fans making noise etc... bad - very bad.

So I like the Edirol - and you can record at 24/96 with it. You then put your music on a PC and edit it with a sequencer.

Any questions - let me know.

Last edited:
Rowland Edirol... Insteresting.

User211,

What brand and configuration is your laptop PC? Is the sequencer a seporate unit? or in your laptop - MIDI software? :music:

User211,

What brand and configuration is your laptop PC? Is the sequencer a seporate unit? or in your laptop - MIDI software? :music:

Here's that thread on the Edirol: http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=86206, but the downloads won't work anymore.

I use a custom built to my spec PC, and a Sony laptop. I use Cakewalk - a software sequencer.

Sequencer's can be hard work and very time consuming... and can take a while to learn to get the best out of.

Hi Robin,

If looking to do both recording and possibly on-stage accompaniment, then I’d look at the software packages first, then the hardware, and finally whether SSD or regular hard drive is best.

For musicians and people who are not that into computers, I usually point them towards a Mac as the ideal platform for right-brained individuals, as some of the best, and easiest to use software packages for music making can be found on that platform.

But if strongly wedded to Windows PC’s, then the advice still applies to look for the best package and ensure that the hardware specs of the laptop are up to handling it.

SSD’s are nice for a couple of reasons:
  • They are way faster than regular drives, so boot times, and other operations that are disk-bound take a loss less time.
  • They are not susceptible to motion and high-g-force issues, less fragile overall
  • Use less power, so battery run-time is longer

If trying to set up a home studio, then it’s a different set of recommendations. But it still starts with picking the right software.

Here’s something practical: go to an Apple store near you and tell them what you are trying to accomplish and your general budget, they will show you the software and hardware options you have on that platform.

I’m assuming a laptop here because you mention you want to record your (live?) singing/playing. I’m also assuming you want more than just recording functions, because if all you want is to record the live performance, then the product User211 suggested would do, or read through this really nice compendium of portable recorders: http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/recorders/

Hi Robin,
If you really want to hear want the Edirol sounds like, I can make a file available for you to download - just PM me. It's me playing my Gibson SJ200 acoustic using the Edirol's internal stereo mike - but it'll give you an idea of how good it is. Play it back through your Logans loud and you'll fall over and the quality of the recording:
Any questions - let me know.

Is this in Hi Rez? If so, can I get it as well? I would love to download direct to my Mac and experience my Computer Audio (Mac Mini & Wavelength DAC) in Hi Rez again...

It's great!!!

Is this in Hi Rez? If so, can I get it as well? I would love to download direct to my Mac and experience my Computer Audio (Mac Mini & Wavelength DAC) in Hi Rez again...

It's great!!!

Well, the Karma Police version I have is. Unfortunately, it's 150Mb for about 4 minutes 30 secs...

I only get a poxy 1Mbit connection where I live - and the upload speed is a quarter of that... so it is just impractical, I am afraid.

Robin - if you decide to get a Mac or PC, go to http://yearzero.nin.com/remix/. If you buy the CD, you get a DVD with a copy of Ableton Live. It's a good way to learn how to use a sequencer, and it has the entire NIN Year Zero album on it to remix at will.

Very highly recommended - I had quite a bit of fun with it.

Once again, though, you really DO need a recorder that makes ZERO noise. Otherwise, you will hear it on the recording!

Back