Butler Amp: Anyone buy one yet?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anybody else tried/bought one of the Butlers to drive ML's. Now that I've got the Summits, I'm likewise looking for a step up from my Sunfire Cinema Grand. From what I've read, the Butler 2250's hybrid design offers the best of both worlds- tight bass and SS dynamics, a bit of tube smoothness, yet runs COOL. I've never had a tube amp before, and am not particularly interested in tube rolling at this time. Besides, I just got the Modwright Pre, which is also a SS/tube hybrid, and DOES allow tube rolling, if so desired. Spike had (privately) suggested I consider the Channel Island monoblocks (Class D), or Monarchy Audio (hybrid monoblocks), but just wondering how the Butler might compare.

Last edited:
Correction...

sleepysurf said:
Besides, I just got the Modwright Pre, which is also a SS/tube hybrid, and DOES allow tube rolling, if so desired. Spike had (privately) suggested I consider the Channel Island monoblocks (Class D), or Monarchy Audio (hybrid monoblocks), but just wondering how the Butler might compare.
Minor correction... I suggested the Monarchy Audio SM70 Pro, which is a medium powered amplifier (40wpc in stereo mode, 120wpc monobloc). During my correspondence with CC Poon of Monarchy Audio, he mentioned that the SM70 Pro is his best sounding amplifier. The tube input stage and hybrid circuitry of the SE-100 or SE-250 are implemented to get the higher powered amplifiers to approach the performance of the SM70.

Spike

Sorry about the misquote, appreciate the clarification!

The Monarchy Audio line is indeed impressive, but until I can dump my current A/V wall unit, it'll be difficult to go with a hot-running Class A/AB design. Hence my continued interest in the cool running Butler. Still waiting for more ML owner feedback on the Butlers. C'mon Butler owners, speak up, I know you're out there! :D

BTW, the Butler line is now available in BLACK... here's a preview pic!

Attachments

• Butler 2250 (Small).JPG
    Butler 2250 (Small).JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 2,674
Last edited:
Butler Audio Monad A-100 "Hybird" Mono Block Amplifiers...

sleepysurf,

Sorry, I think 'stone', system #74 is the only member of the ML Club which currently owns a Butler amplifier.

I have been researching the Butler Audio Monad A-100 amplifiers lately, as I am considering them for my once and future music system. I found a great review on 6 moons:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/monad/monad.html

I found it interesting the Butler Monad A-100 has balanced in-puts but not out-puts and is a hybird design, with a tube sound. As the review above indicates the Monad A-100 is similar to, but different than it's sisters the 5150 and the 2250. I am hoping to audition this amp. someday as well. :)

Attachments

• Butler Monad A-100.jpg
    Butler Monad A-100.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 2,507
Monad A-100...

sleepysurf,

The underside of the Monad is too cool. It looks to have a small fan implanted with-in the heat sink fins. ;)

Attachments

• Monad Bottom and rear.jpg
    Monad Bottom and rear.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 3,055
Butler 5150

I enjoy my 5150 very much. I do not think you will be disappointed with any model in the current Butler lineup. I hope to have a pair of Monads in the not too distant future. There was a pair on Audiogon for 8k for a short while.

Robin, the Monad's retail for $18k a pair... but here's a pair on A'gon (in Silver) for $10k... http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1164403132
Let us know how they sound!<G>

Actually, I've been going round and round debating between the TDB 2250 vs. a pair of Channel Island D-200 monoblocks. I've decided to go with the Butler, and will be ordering shortly.

Well, having read the (mostly) favorable reviews of the Butler TDB line (as well as the gorgeous Monads), I just ordered the TDB 2250 in Black from Shane (Hometheaterdoc.com) I'll report back ASAP on how well it integrates with the Modwright and Summit.

While speaking with him, I inquired about the Monads fan, and he replied that it's very quiet, and runs only as needed, which is rare. Sure wish I could afford a pair of those!

Butler 2250 Amplifier...

sleepysurf,

Excellent! :D I was hoping someone would take the plunge and purchase the 2250 someday. Congratulation! I hope it works out... :D I will be very interested in seeing what your finding will be.

Also Thank you for sharing the information from Shane regarding how the Monad fan actually functions, that is very interesting as well.

And yes, I have been drooling over the Butler Monad A-100's for 10K on Audiogon... I've been self medicating to prevent a full blown out brake of Joeyitis from taking over my body... :p

Last edited:
Yep, I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the Modwright-Butler-Summit synergy, and will definitely report my findings.

And yes, we all need to make sure our Antivirus Software is up-to-date, to prevent infection with Joeyitis. I understand it is aurally transmitted. :D

Good Luck With Your Butler 2250 Amplifier...

sleepysurf,

I thought Joeyitis was a sexually transmitted disease (STD) affecting audiophiles after a two week incubation period, manifesting in symptoms of continuous, veracous audio desires and pleasures, cullminating in wonderful audio acquistions... :D

sleepysurf said:
And yes, we all need to make sure our Antivirus Software is up-to-date, to prevent infection with Joeyitis. I understand it is aurally transmitted. :D

Does that make it a form of 'hearing' AIDS??? (sorry, couldnt stop myself...:) )

Peter

sleepysurf

I hope your Butler will hurry up and come in as I also have it on my short list and want to here from you how it sounds!

I'm trying to decide if I want to go high power with quality SS or go with the sound of a tube to drive my Summits.

Short list of considered amps:
Musical Fidelity KW 750 (prefer over KW550 as I don't really want intergrated)
Bel Canto ref 1000
Butler 2250
I have an opportunity to purchase Cary 211 monoblocks(tubed 70 watt Class A, and 110 class A/B)
The problem is I have not been able to listen to any of these through summits.

Preamp considerations
Musical fidelity KW line preamp to go with the KW 750 amp
Modwright pre amp
I am looking at a Conrad Johnson CT-5 for 1/2 price NEW
others also are being considered.

Anyone with experience with any of these using ML speakers please give report.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have the Conrad Johnson Premier 17LS2 which was recently replaced by the CT-5. I looks more like it was repackaging, few minor improvements and about $1.5K more. I am running this with CLSiiZ's and it is sweet. I have a SS amp which is also a Conrad Johnson and I think this combination of a tube pre with a SS amp is the best of both worlds.

Jeff :cool:

Jeff,
Thank you
Opinions like yours from real people who have actual in home experience with components really helps steer less experienced audiophile wanna bees like me the right direction.

Rafe

Rafe,
No problem at all. I am sure that the CT-5 is an improvement over the Premier 17LS2 but like I said it is close to $8K. I really did like the PV10 it was a great little preamp but I wanted more and my credit card is still upset with me. :eek:

I think Rotel makes great equipment for the money and they are not bad at all. I do believe with your choice of music and a quality tube preamp will be pure joy for you. You will gain greater depth in presentation and instruments will sound warmer (mids) or maybe more realistic to your ear. Ultimately you are the judge and if at all possible see if you can audition a few in your house with your existing equipment and then you will know what to expect. :D

Good Luck and let us know

Jeff :cool:

drrafe said:
Short list of considered amps:
Musical Fidelity KW 750 (prefer over KW550 as I don't really want intergrated)
Bel Canto ref 1000
Butler 2250
I have an opportunity to purchase Cary 211 monoblocks(tubed 70 watt Class A, and 110 class A/B)
The problem is I have not been able to listen to any of these through summits.

Preamp considerations
Musical fidelity KW line preamp to go with the KW 750 amp
Modwright pre amp
I am looking at a Canrad Johnson CT-5 for 1/2 price NEW
others also are being considered.

Rafe,
You don't need a lot of power for your Summits. The Cary 211 monoblocs are sweet amps and you should not pass them up if the opportunity arises. You should pair them with the Cary SLP-05 preamp to make the Summits sing. The ModWright is also an excellent choice for your system as well. I do have the ModWright and it complements the SixPacs quite well in my system. Other pieces to consider are: Cary 805C Anniversary monoblocs, ARC Reference preamps, etc...

Spike

Well, I've had the Butler TDB 2250 for about a week now. Here are my initial impressions, more to follow.

The Butler is built like a tank, weighing in at 43 lbs, with a solid industrial look. The blue power LED and blue-lit tubes are "cool", but mostly eye candy. Seems like EVERY audio manufacturer (including ML) has now jumped on this "blue-bling" bandwagon.

Out of the box, I was not particularly impressed with it's sound. It certainly has power to spare, while running extremely cool, but compared to my Sunfire, imaging is smeared, bass is a tad muddy, and midrange lacks "bloom." Thinking there might be synergy issues with the Modwright (which is also a SS/tube hybrid), I tried feeding my Squeezebox/Benchmark DAC directly to the amp, and noted some improvement, but overall still lacking vs. the Modwright/Sunfire combo.

I spoke with my Butler dealer, and he advised 100-200 hours of serious "burn-in" before passing judgement. So, for the next week or so, I'll keep the Butler busy, and then decide if he'll be employed in this household for any length of time.

It's always nice to see a negative review, even if it's an intial one! I know that sounds bad...but it seems so often that every review uses the same hyperbole about how great things sound...makes it hard to make decisions when you can't audition a lot of stuff :( Thanks! I look forward to your further impressions.

IWalker said:
It's always nice to see a negative review, even if it's an intial one! I know that sounds bad...but it seems so often that every review uses the same hyperbole about how great things sound...makes it hard to make decisions when you can't audition a lot of stuff :( Thanks! I look forward to your further impressions.
That's a real pet peeve of mine. Frankly, the (limited) reviews of the Butler have been gushing praise, so I had high expectations. I tried the Butler with my Aerius i's, and felt it had better synergy. Perhaps the powered woofer design of the Summits are the issue. Regardless, the Summits are here to stay, and my Aerius' will be up for sale shortly.

Fortunately, my dealer was gracious enough to offer a refund (minus re-stocking fee). I'll give it a good 150 hours of break-in, before deciding yea or nay.

Back