Butler 5150, BC32, or Statement

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rynopr

Friends, Fellows, and Loganmen,
I presently have Aeoni's and am scheming to get Vantages... Presently, I also have Theateri, Scripti, & Fresos.
1. Which of the 3 is going to give the most dimension, depth, and detail for either?
2. Which is going to make the Theateri, or any center sound the way it should with dialog...no more, "What did they say?" Oh, do I hate that!
3. Which is just all around musical?

Let's assume trusting my ears is not an option--sorry Roberto. I am so tired of that cliche. Please don't say, "Trust your ears."
I am wanting to trust the ears of those on this forum. That is why I am asking.

I can't speak about the others, or about HT, but I'm running the 2-channel Butler through Vantages and the vocals are extremely clear without being edgy; very musical.

Roberto is right it's either your ears or somebody else's...

...and I prefer mine.

rynopr said:
Butler Audio - Nothing but great things said about this amp. One negative I thought I have heard is the Tubes are soldered to the board so you cannot tube roll or get new ones and put them in yourself. If this is true (and again I am baseing this on memory which has failed me before), that is a biggie with me. But I have not heard it myself, so musicality cannot be commented on.

Blue Circle - Again nothing but great things said about this amp. And since Gilbert has ML's you would think his amps would be designed to work well with ML's. I have heard the 22 and it is a very nice sounding amp.

Statement - What Statement? Do you mean the Anthem? If so, Robin loves her's and uses it with HT setup.

Let's assume trusting my ears is not an option--sorry Roberto. I am so tired of that cliche. Please don't say, "Trust your ears." I am wanting to trust the ears of those on this forum. That is why I am asking.
So you are looking to spend $3000++ without ever hearing the piece of equipment and basing the decision solely on what others will think? I won't tell you to "Trust your ears" as you do not want to hear it, but to think about purchasing a component that you will not hear, especially for the money you are going to spend just does not make sense to me - but hey what do I know. One thing to remember, what is muscial to one person, sounds like crap to another, and vice versa.

But, it is your money and you decide how to spend it....Go buy the Blue Circle.

Dan

Last edited:
One note on the Butler Amp.

On their website it states:

"Q: Do the tubes wear out? How often will I need to change the tubes?

A: The tubes are driven at less than 5% of their maximum rating and thus are not stressed like in a typical tube amplifier. Under normal use, they should not need replacement."

Trekker said:
One note on the Butler Amp. On their website it states:

"Q: Do the tubes wear out? How often will I need to change the tubes?

A: The tubes are driven at less than 5% of their maximum rating and thus are not stressed like in a typical tube amplifier. Under normal use, they should not need replacement."
"Under Normal Use" - Seems vary vague to me. I am not trying to knock the Butlers as there are too many, if not all great things said about them. I have audiophile friends who have heard them and really liked them unfortunately I have not.

I was never a "tube rolling" person, until I tried out new tubes in my ARC and found a great sounding alternative to the stock EH tube for less than new ones from ARC.

Dan

DTB300 said:
? I won't tell you to "Trust your ears" as you do not want to hear it, but to think about purchasing a component that you will not hear, especially for the money you are going to spend just does not make sense to me - but hey what do I know. One thing to remember, what is muscial to one person, sounds like crap to another, and vice versa.

But, it is your money and you decide how to spend it....Go buy the Blue Circle.

Dan

LOL! dang that's funny!

well, i've purchased many amps and other items without hearing them. I bought them used, and then listened to them, and if they didn't float my boat, I put them up for sale on Audiogon. I sometimes lose money when I get antsy and buy high and have to sell lower, but if I'm patient, this allows me the benefit of hearing the unit on my turf, at my pace, and when I finally decide, I get the unit for less than full retail.

This has worked for me. Watch the ads, and see what amps are popular, this might be something to consider, that way, if you have to sell, it can be done easily. At the right price, my guess is that you'd be fine auditioning the Blue Circle or Butler. I'd probably try the Butler, I gotta have tubes.

Steve Daigneault said:
LOL! dang that's funny!
Glad I could enlighten the day for some people here :D But I never told them to "Trust their ears"... :eek:

well, i've purchased many amps and other items without hearing them. I bought them used, and then listened to them, and if they didn't float my boat, I put them up for sale on Audiogon. I sometimes lose money when I get antsy and buy high and have to sell lower, but if I'm patient, this allows me the benefit of hearing the unit on my turf, at my pace, and when I finally decide, I get the unit for less than full retail.
Agreed that Audiogon is a great place to pick up gear for a good price. I purchased my Plinius there and my CD/SACD Player too. I paid 1/3 of the price of retail and received flawless pieces.

And like you stated sometimes you can sell a unit if you do not like it for what you paid, sometimes you lose $$, sometimes you can gain $$$ if the current demand allows for the price increase. I see items sell for many different price points for the same piece.

But again we are talking about Audiogon and used compared to brand new. And the poster never really told us if they were looking for new or used, so good point Steve on looking at Audiogon for used.

Dan

Last edited:
DTB300 said:
So you are looking to spend $3000++ without ever hearing the piece of equipment and basing the decision solely on what others will think?
Dan
Unfortunately, some of live in a veritable audiophile desert and have no choice but to narrow the field by listening to the advise of others and then risk the purchase, realizing we may have to take a loss when reselling a bad decision.

rob725 said:
Unfortunately, some of live in a veritable audiophile desert and have no choice but to narrow the field by listening to the advise of others and then risk the purchase, realizing we may have to take a loss when reselling a bad decision.
I realize that some folks do not live near stores to hear equipment. I guess it depends on the priorities and dedication of each person, as I drove 6+ hours each way once to listen to some equipment - it was a long day but worth it in the long run. And I have also driven 9+ hours each way just to purchase my ML's. Again personal preference and choice. Like Steve stated, if you do not want to do some of the extreme things I have done, buy it used, see if you like it, and if not, sell it again and try something else.

For myself, I just cannot justify a purchase of the amount discussed here without first test driving. To take the advice of people I do not know personally or knowing anything about their listening tastes and preferences scares me - even with people here who all have ML's. Remember what I may think sounds bright may sound right to others, and so on down the audio spectrum.

Dan

I liked the idea of tubes on the output stage and I have them in the line now. I don't have to rack my brain about tube rolling. I would probably become obsessed. Audio/video is hard enough without having something else.

Ultimately, price. I picked a mint one up with approximately 10hrs. for 2 G's delivered.

Granted, I don't have my mains and center any longer. I can still tell with my Frescos and Scripts the change in the clarity. The highs are nice and detailed and the sound is much cleaner.

The real test is coming, but I think it is going to pass.

rynopr said:
Friends, Fellows, and Loganmen,
I presently have Aeoni's and am scheming to get Vantages... Presently, I also have Theateri, Scripti, & Fresos.
1. Which of the 3 is going to give the most dimension, depth, and detail for either?
2. Which is going to make the Theateri, or any center sound the way it should with dialog...no more, "What did they say?" Oh, do I hate that!

Let's assume trusting my ears is not an option--sorry Roberto. I am so tired of that cliche. Please don't say, "Trust your ears."
I am wanting to trust the ears of those on this forum. That is why I am asking.
Hola rynopr...I´m not going to say it to you...but if you are not understanding the dialog, you might have a problem with your Theater i...no matter what kind of speakers you have at front or rear, you should be understanding the dialog perfectly. If this is not the case, then try to increase a little bit more the volume to your center channel, and listen again. The Theater i is one of the best center channel speaker available...regarless of brand, size, price, and the best of all, quality!...try to find why you are not listening right the dialog...it is not right!
Roberto.

Last edited:
Roberto,

I have now dumped my Theateri and Aeoni. I am missing the front 3 parts of my system. I thought it was the other equipment that was not running it to the full extent of its capability. While I still feel this is the case, I think a couple of accoustical treatments would have really done the trick. We have a 10 ft. wall of sliding glass and 18 ft. vaulted ceiling. I'm surprised audio comes out of my components at all:) I'm sort of in limbo now. Not really sure what route I am going. It didn't stop me from buying a new Butler amp though:-(

Thanks

rynopr said:
Roberto,

I have now dumped my Theateri and Aeoni. I am missing the front 3 parts of my system. I thought it was the other equipment that was not running it to the full extent of its capability. While I still feel this is the case, I think a couple of accoustical treatments would have really done the trick. We have a 10 ft. wall of sliding glass and 18 ft. vaulted ceiling. I'm surprised audio comes out of my components at all:) I'm sort of in limbo now. Not really sure what route I am going. It didn't stop me from buying a new Butler amp though:-(

Thanks
Get a pair of Vantages, and wait for the new Stage...will come out soon...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto...and I didn´t say it!!!

Joe,

The answer is without question. Yes, I can. Even my wife even can. You know how that goes. If the wife can notice, then there is a difference. The only thing is I don't have a full range speaker to test it on yet, and no center right now. Maybe that is a better sign, since I can notice on my surround speakers. I am running them as a dual stereo pair with a passive Channel Island pre.
I didn't know what I was going to do for awhile concerning speakers because I was so frustrated. I have been waffling, but I think I am going to stick with ML.

rynopr said:
The answer is without question. Yes, I can. Even my wife even can. You know how that goes. If the wife can notice, then there is a difference.
How true...how true.... With my most recent change, I had my player modified by Dan Wright at Modwright, and it was something she noticed right away stating "it sounds like the singer is right here in the room". I just sat back and smiled...

Dan

Back