building permanent shelf- need advice?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarMedia

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I'm in the process of moving to a new home and will have a permanent shelf built (see picuture). I need to determine the general rule of thumb on how far apart the Aeon i's should be.

It seems I read somewhere that if the ML's are 6 feet apart, the listening distance should be 7 feet. Is that correct? If so, this will help me determine the length of this shelfs arms.

Unfortunetly, I will not have the opportunity to play with positioning before I move and will have to guess it to the best of everyone's collective experience.

Thanks.

Attachments

• shelf.jpg
    shelf.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 80
Hi,
ML's should be at least 2 feet away from the rear wall, so unless it is a very deep shelf, I don't see it interfering with the speakers. Even if it stretched all the way to both side walls, I should think you'd still be fine.

Peter

Hi Peter... the speakers will be flush with the outer edge of the shelfs arms, so the shelf cannot extend to each side wall. I am definitely aiming for a shelf that is 2 feet deep so the speakers have room to breathe.

The wall is actually quite long, much longer than what this picture shows. The shelf will appear floating with the speakers capping each end. Make Sense?

Back