Building Custom Home Theater

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So most agree that having near field subs is superior to having butt shakers in the sofa?
Depends on what you are trying to achieve.
The nearfield subs (tuned for MBM) are great at fixing the lean mid-bass of older ML models and for addressing room-mode-induced suck-outs at the MLP in the mid-bass / low bass.

Tactile transducers help restore a bit of sensation when you normally listen at low volume, say due to tinnitus or sensitive hearing. Or they can just be all that is necessary to fill in the bottom end for a 2ch setup without a sub.

I have a massive buttkicker on the sofa and have not used it in years as we sit on the upper-level chairs. So it's not that compelling to me. I get much better enjoyment out of the MBMs.

Yeah, I appreciate the thoughts, but I think in this 4000 cubic foot room that the four 21” iPal subwoofers are going to leave little desire for additional bass. They purportedly excel in the mid-bass region. I don’t think the nearfields will be necessary. But I will keep it in mind in case I ever feel that I am missing something.

Last edited:
Depends on what you are trying to achieve.
The nearfield subs (tuned for MBM) are great at fixing the lean mid-bass of older ML models and for addressing room-mode-induced suck-outs at the MLP in the mid-bass / low bass.

The thing is, the pro drivers of the PSA TV2112 excel at mid base response. So I don’t see this being an issue that would need correction with near field subs.
This quote was supposed to precede my last post, but I’m having a bit of trouble with iOS Safari’s coordination with the MLO forum software.

Last edited:
I ordered my hat channel for the ceiling today. Will install the clips this weekend, then the channel next week. Then I’ll be ready to install soffit recessed light fixtures. At that point, I’ll be ready for insulation and drywall. Looking forward to seeing some progress on this part of my home build.

Here’s an updated pic of a part of the house where the stucco has been finished, to give you an idea of the look. It’s kind of a creamy white. The trim is the same color as the body of the house.

Attachments

• 4C5B403C-D098-4C3C-8730-BE3DBE6F74F6.jpeg
    4C5B403C-D098-4C3C-8730-BE3DBE6F74F6.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Hey Rich,
Your home theater project sounds incredible! I've always dreamed of having a setup like that. Your attention to detail and the choice of equipment are top-notch. I can't wait to hear more about your progress and see some pics when it's all done. I just suggest you choose reliable concrete/brick plugs so the construction is strong. Enjoy building your dream home theater!

Last edited:
I'll give my cents, though I almost already know they wont be well received. I strongly dislike PSA subs. Have owned them twice, different sizes each time. Those subs you are looking at would not, for me, give me the bass I want. 4 of those vs 4 different 21" subs will sound very different to my ears. Unless it has a nice round rubber surround, it wont be moving the air the way I like it. YMMV and I dont care what you do because its your money and you need to be, but your bass to me doesn't sound impressive

I'll give my cents, though I almost already know they wont be well received. I strongly dislike PSA subs. Have owned them twice, different sizes each time. Those subs you are looking at would not, for me, give me the bass I want. 4 of those vs 4 different 21" subs will sound very different to my ears. Unless it has a nice round rubber surround, it wont be moving the air the way I like it. YMMV and I dont care what you do because its your money and you need to be, but your bass to me doesn't sound impressive
My 21 inch PSA subwoofer outperforms my BF210 by quite a lot. The improvement in sound is very noticeable to me.

My 21 inch PSA subwoofer outperforms my BF210 by quite a lot. The improvement in sound is very noticeable to me.
Yes I remember how you like it but if that is the case then I would really really not like the 210.

I have 212s in on theater, about 8 of them. They rock. I also have Funks and they rock too. The PSA I never liked. Even my dual 18 performs nowhere near a single funk 18. They are just not the driver for extention

Yes I remember how you like it but if that is the case then I would really really not like the 210.

I have 212s in on theater, about 8 of them. They rock. I also have Funks and they rock too. The PSA I never liked. Even my dual 18 performs nowhere near a single funk 18. They are just not the driver for extention
Well, my PSA sure sounds great!

Yeah, I appreciate the thoughts, but I think in this 4000 cubic foot room that the four 21” iPal subwoofers are going to leave little desire for additional bass. They purportedly excel in the mid-bass region. I don’t think the nearfields will be necessary. But I will keep it in mind in case I ever feel that I am missing something.
As you have the luxury of dedicated HT, I would consider some of the no-compromise setups.
https://www.audioholics.com/audio-technologies/trinnov-waveforming
https://www.trinnov.com/en/subwoofer-guidelines/
or In similar vein, if you do not want go Trinnov route, there also Double Bass Array (DBA) (i am building this one now, waiting for WaveForming to be released). Double Bass Array

Both are quantum leaps from any traditional sub setup. They give you uniform decay time and seat to seat consistency, that is impossible to achieve otherwise. I had a chance to demo DBA setup nearby and Waveforming on ISE and everything else seems like compromise not worth making.

Alternativley, you can explore Dirac ART design guidelines, if you want to go Dirac route.

Last edited:
Re subs - I have EU-build 18 in subs, sealed, , with the same drivers, that PSA is using, each with 2500W amplification.
Flat down to 12Hz in-room extension,

Re subs - I have EU-build 18 in subs, sealed, , with the same drivers, that PSA is using, each with 2500W amplification.
Flat down to 12Hz in-room extension,
I've got their non IPAL version and it's great. The IPALs you have are even greater. I've not heard the IPAL. What I have is great in my 19 x20 room, and its open on one side to the rest of the house. Multiple 21 inch IPAL subs must be incredible, especially if it's a sealed room.

OK Rich, it's been over 8 months with no pics or updates. Were waiting..........
Hey guys, sorry but I have been swamped with other aspects of the house build. It’s a 7000 sq.ft. house and the home theater is just one small part of that. The theater has been on the back burner the last couple of months while I’ve been focusing on other stuff. But I should be moving forward with speaker and electronics installation in the theater over the next couple of months. So hopefully I’ll have some pics and info to update soon.

I just finished my window and door plugs, so the theater will be light and sound proof. Other than that, haven’t had any progress on the theater in a month or two. But here’s a few random pics of the house…

Attachments

• IMG_9575.jpeg
    IMG_9575.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9620.jpeg
    IMG_9620.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9622.jpeg
    IMG_9622.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9550.jpeg
    IMG_9550.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9516.jpeg
    IMG_9516.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9427.jpeg
    IMG_9427.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
And a shot showing the construction of the window plugs, with integrated rear surround speaker box.

Attachments

• IMG_9453.jpeg
    IMG_9453.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
And views of the front and rear of the room in its current condition…

Attachments

• IMG_8634.jpeg
    IMG_8634.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8632.jpeg
    IMG_8632.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Back