budget amp for scenarios?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

AdrianB

I have just received my scenarios and I am very impressed. The midrange detail is what I have always wanted from a speaker since hearing the Dahlquist DQ10. And the top-to-bottom soundstage is a new experience.

At present I am using an old NAD 50W integrated but I feel the upper bass needs more control. The listening room is also large.

I am not in the audiophile category, mainly because of finances! so I am considering a NAD C372 - a 150W integrated. As an option, for similar money the Musical Fidelity X150 with 100W, but with no tone controls (I could move the speakers around to increase/decrease bass but I prefer tone controls!)

Is there another adequately powerful amp with tone controls out there?

Thanks, and congratulations on this excellent forum, a credit to the marque...

Greeting Adrian and welcome to the Forum.

Sounds like you're an audiophile... already looking to upgrade and you bought ML's. This is how it began for all of us.

Do you mind sharing what your budget is so we can direct you to a few to audition? Also, have you looked at Audiogon for some demos or good used equipment? Though I'm not particularly familiar with NAD, perhaps you should look into trying different interconnects and cables for better bass.

Besides letting your ears make the final decision, remember, it's not so much the watts as it is the, "Current- Peak to Peak." There is a new (june 05) Musical Fidelity out that wasn't around when I bought mine. It's called the A3.5 and is supposedly the little bro of the A5. Might be worth checking out. Here's the link: http://www.signalpathint.com/3.5/A3.5 integrated Amp.htm

I agree with the last post being and audiophile has nothing to due with $$$ Although alot of Mags and shops have made it that. It is all about the love of music.
A budget would help but I will tell you I am a big fan of NAD. Great gear at a great value. I would also work on placement with the interg you have and get the perfect placement. Set your interg to flat and spend the afternoon and evening moving those speakers all around to find the perfect sound. There are some great posts on this site for help with this. Then listen to your favorite music and then decide what you want more or less of. Maybe you will find you need nothing at all. After you do that IMO I would look to a sub before I would upgrade the interg. MLs IMO perform exceptionly better when the low bass is redirected to a good sub.

AdrianB said:
I am not in the audiophile category, mainly because of finances! ...

Yes, you are !! Do you think we need to spend 10,000$ to be an audiophile ?
No, an audiophile is simply somebody who love music, don't you think that ? :)
AdrianB said:
Is there another adequately powerful amp with tone controls out there? ...

I think you should'nt take care of tone controls. The problem is that the tone controls make phase distortion and the stereo image could be badly degraded. Also, the risk is to have an unbalanced sound, wich is no good.

Are you sure you want it ?

Just a thought.... you know how we are :) :D

Thanks for your replies

I recall thinking when I worked in a high-end audio shop 20 years ago that the law of diminishing returns applies here. There can be gear that is absolutely good enough - without costing as much as the top stuff (who all claim they are the best, naturally)

So my dilemma is what will sound better for my budget of Australian dollars 2000 (US$1500). The aforementioned NAD at 1500 or the MF at 1800. I have considered looking at used amps from the US. (I would have to check what is involved in changing the voltage for Australia).

Either way, it looks like tone controls are an endangered species, 'sigh'.

hello AdrianB, Maybe you could research some Australian made amps. I am using Elektra Audio to run Ascenti. You can get some info at Len Wallis Audio site. Might be a bit more than you want to spend but they are good sounding gear. You get good value for money by not having to pay all the import taxes and duties. Redgum Audio also comes to mind. Maybe good second Amps maybe available....Regards jonnyb Melb Aust.

Thanks JonnyB, I hadn't even considered Australian kit.

I must say that I am increasingly impressed with these speakers. I may be able to justify spending more $$$ to get an amp of equal calibre, but it will need to be used to be affordable. I find the sound and its presentation is very different to 'point-source' speakers. More exciting and very interesting. But then I guess all you ML owners know all about this, no preaching to the converted!

Adrian B, just one other thing, if your scenarios are brand new you may find the sound will change for the better as you get a few more hours of music played through them... But now that everyone has labelled you an audiophile i am sure you already have taken this into account....If you are worried about bass, i heard a set in melb playing with a depth subwoofer and they sounded great. I joined a Descent Sub to my system and i dont think i could live without it now...Regards Jonnyb.

Musical Fidelity would be a good match with the Scenario. For example the A5, great amp.

I am on the lookout for one of the Musical Fidelity amps (used) the A300 (150W) or A3.2 (100W), or perhaps a Krell 300i which will be plenty strong.

But who knows what will come my way? Interesting hearing about the effectiveness of a subwoofer - that could be a possibilty in the future. For now, the bass is plentiful. I have lots of enjoyment ahead listening to the fabulous midrange detail and huge soundstage, in fact, gotta go...

I am on the lookout for one of the Musical Fidelity amps (used) the A300 (150W) or A3.2 (100W), or perhaps a Krell 300i which will be plenty strong.

But who knows what will come my way? Interesting hearing about the effectiveness of a subwoofer - that could be a possibilty in the future. For now, the bass is plentiful. I have lots of enjoyment ahead listening to the fabulous midrange detail and huge soundstage, in fact, gotta go...

AdrianB said:

Also look for the MF- A308. If you can still locate one at a delaer, they will be heavily discounted as the A5 replaced this lineup. My dealer is currently offering it at 50% off. You can also find many consumer reviews on it by doing a simple google search.

SugarMedia said:
Also look for the MF- A308. If you can still locate one at a delaer, they will be heavily discounted as the A5 replaced this lineup. My dealer is currently offering it at 50% off. You can also find many consumer reviews on it by doing a simple google search.

The 308 is definitely very good, warmer sounding than the A5, which is pretty neutral for a MusFid.

Latest posts

Back