Bryston 4B-ST

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For many years my 4B-ST was my perfect go-to amp for my SL3's. Then I put new panels on, and the ST was still good. THEN...... I upgraded the crossover caps. That opened up the highs, and the ST was now too bright. Luckily, I also own a 4B-SST which had always sounded a bit lackluster for the SL3's. But now it's a perfect match!! The SL3's now sound perfect with the 4B-SST. I can't believe the bass they deliver with 10" woofers!

I was considering a newer Bryston 4b3 amp but hear that they are more laid back. The last thing I want to do is spend a bunch of money and then not like the sound with my Theos. I will just probably have mine sent in and refurbished eventually but still contemplating 🤔.

Last edited:
Zardos, I would say that if you think your Lex 225 is tonally perfect for your system, then you may find the newer SST's to be a bit too smooth on top. It's really a synergy thing. I have 3 high-end amps, and I considered the 4BST as my "bright" amp, and the SST2 as the "neutral" amp. The SST2 is the better amp overall, but not always the best tonal match with some speakers. I highly recommend Bryston's reconditioning service. I don't know what it costs today, but your 225 will come back sounding as good or better than new! Just as a sanity check, feel your heat sinks. Are both sides running the same temperature? Mine were not.

Zardos, I would say that if you think your Lex 225 is tonally perfect for your system, then you may find the newer SST's to be a bit too smooth on top. It's really a synergy thing. I have 3 high-end amps, and I considered the 4BST as my "bright" amp, and the SST2 as the "neutral" amp. The SST2 is the better amp overall, but not always the best tonal match with some speakers. I highly recommend Bryston's reconditioning service. I don't know what it costs today, but your 225 will come back sounding as good or better than new! Just as a sanity check, feel your heat sinks. Are both sides running the same temperature? Mine were not.
Thanks for the reply, my 225 is running perfectly right now, the previous owner had to have a minor issue fixed but it has always worked flawlessly for me. I have a 3B SST2 on my other system with my Magnepans, it does sound a bit more refined on those and is missing nothing on the top end. Maybe I need to check it on the Theos. I don't know how much of a difference there is between the 3B SST2 and 4Bcubed sound. The reconditioning service is 1k now but includes shipping both ways according to their website but they are backed up due to a parts shortage and being overwhelmed. I have a line on a 4Bcubed for a great price that surely wont last much longer but still undecided. Thanks again

You should swap the two amps!
I would love to know if you notice similar differences between the two. For me, the ST is a bit punchier in the mid-bass and more exciting in the highs than the SST2. This is great for some speakers that need it, but is a bit too forward if the speakers lean towards brightness also.

I swapped them out last night. Yeah the mids are a bit more laid back but it wasn't a bad thing. Vocals were not so in my face as the 4BST. Kurt cobains vocals on the unplugged album always had a few harsh moments with the 4BST, that was nonexistant with the 3BSST2. Lows were a bit more substantial. All the airy highs were there and maybe a tiny bit more, I was hearing detail that was simply not present with the 4BST. Overall sound stage seemed to improve as well. Needless to say I liked the 3bsst2 better and opted to get the 4bsst3. No doubt a refurbish would do wonders but they won't be caught up until June maybe. I will give an update when it goes into play. Thanks for the reply.

That's great info, and really will want to hear about how the SST3 compares to the SST2, when you get it!

Bryston takes the amps and goes over them upgrading them and then resells them refurbished called them they said they are having an upgrade event soon told me to phone back and they would have some amps soon, thinking of getting a couple for my reQuests to bi-amp then use my anthem amp for my rears and centre.

Dave

I got the amp on Friday and have had a chance to listen to it. Initial impressions are great, closer to the SST2 sound but not quite. It might be a hair more forward than the 3BSST2 but not by much. The details and sound stage are amazing, but again so is the 3BSST2. Bass seems to be on par with the SST2. I have listened to quite a bit of stuff and it has not sounded harsh in any way, I am listening at about 80-85 db. So for right now it is too close to call a clear winner, besides both sounding better than the older 4B ST IMO. Right now I could not be happier, I think the 4BSST3 is a great match for the Theos, well for me anyway.

fK2o3sn.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one on the Bryston amp. That's a rock solid design in terms of power supplies and real current capacity. This is referred to as a "stiff power supply"- has a very high current and highly stable voltage requirement.

Just from its power trannies layout and main cap reservoir bank, you can tell straight away this one won't flinch one bit under stress, ideal for stats. Your Theos should really open up nicely, both in mids & highs and well controlled bass.

As is the case with all Bryston designs, they get their power supplies really well sorted out. This is the foundation of great power amplifier design, and many other types really fall short, simply because power supplies are lacking.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it, at least now you'll realise more realism delivered from your stats.

Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ

Back