Broken loudspeaker socket : a frequent issue ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeji

Reaction score
I just bought a second hand pair of Summit X, and when connecting the loudspeaker cable at the back, one of the sockets broke.
I am not body-built and quite used to cables and loudspeakers handling, so I am wondering if the original sockets are especially fragile (they DO look fragile) and if many other Martin Logan owners had the same misadventure ?.
I am currently looking for an original Martin Logan spare part socket in France, but if it is a frequent complaint, I may choose to replace all the sockets with more sturdy ones.

Yes, they get brittle and crack apart, so be nice to them! ML wants $20 EACH. Find something cheaper!

It appears ML became aware of their frailty, because the replacement item I got direct from them had no more transverse hole, which obviously was the cause of this built-in frailty. So now you will need a Y 45° plug like this one at the end of your loudspeaker cables.
But I would recommend, even at $20, that you stick with an original replacement part : the 2 loudspeakers sockets are parts of the printed circuit board fixations within the bass enclosure onto the back plate (in addition to 7 screws and 3 potentiometer nuts), and using something else will not ensure the same solid fixation, possibly creating a MUCH more expensive repair...
And be sure you have all the proper tools before you attempt to unfix the printed circuit from the back plate, which you will need to do to replace any of the loudspeakers sockets.

I would guess these are Chinese made....I bought new Banana Plugs last week from Amazon....the male parts are just a fraction too narrow...so its easy for them to fall out and they did. There is no standard for size so the chinese do what they want....Because one fell out of the speaker input in my receiver...the touched and put the Receiver into safe mode and it would not work.....

I would guess these are Chinese made....I bought new Banana Plugs last week from Amazon....the male parts are just a fraction too narrow...so its easy for them to fall out and they did. There is no standard for size so the chinese do what they want....Because one fell out of the speaker input in my receiver...the touched and put the Receiver into safe mode and it would not work.....

Quite common issue UNLESS they are locking bananas. IF the bananas are have slots, you should be able to use a small knife blade or flat-bladed screwdriver to gently pry the "veins" out to get a tight fit.

Perhaps if the Chinese had embraced the practice of quality control that would not be required...but thanks for the idea.

The negative terminal on my brand new Focus is lose and the store I bought it at tried to tighten it but it didnt hold. Lose again.

Try quality super glue by Gorilla...plus ...everyone should have a spray can of DeoxIT....it has saved me many times...it increases Connection, seal & protects surfaces...buy it on ebay..........it works miracles.

Try quality super glue by Gorilla...plus ...everyone should have a spray can of DeoxIT....it has saved me many times...it increases Connection, seal & protects surfaces...buy it on ebay..........it works miracles.

Phil, DeOxit was my "go to" can when I was a bench tech many years ago. (30?) That stuff flat out works. Will fix old analog volume controls, switches, you name it. It is a staple for anyone working on audio gear. Also cans of Freeze Spray were must have. So many intermittent problems caused by invisible cracks in circuit board traces, and solder connections which means everything, as everything is soldered. You reminded me of stuff I had forgotten.

IMG_0082.JPG
Everyone who has electronics needs this product....American Made, created and amazing....it has solved so many problems for me with USB, HDMI cable etc...its a must buy

Latest posts

Back