Broke down and bought an i-Pod

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiTT

Super User
Reaction score
I was in the Circuit City by my office and couldn't hold off any longer, brought home a black 60 Gig i-Pod, the one that does video and pictures too.

I've joined the dark side. Spent the weekend rippin' CD's like a monkey on Meth.

This is addictive stuff. I've got about 2.5 gig loaded so far. Very cool for at the gym or run through a small Dennon/Mission system I have at the office. I'm heading to Germany next month so it'll be cool on the plane too.

The system at home still sounds WAY better, but the iPod with some nice Sony ear buds sounds quite good.

How long will I walk around shouting "HUH?!" at people that look like they're talking to me?

Congrats on the ipod.... I have the same as you, except the 30gb. Have fun with it, it's a cool device to have especially when travelling, studying, or just having some down-time... or if you just have that urge to listen to that song just one more time. :)

MiTT said:
Spent the weekend rippin' CD's like a monkey on Meth.
I don't care who you are that's funny right there. :D

i POD's and MP3 players wont replace a good Hi-Fi rig would they sure do come in handy.

I did the exact same thing when I got my iPod nano - spent about a week ripping all of my CDs... even had to get a new hard drive (300G) just to hold all of the files....

Do yourself a favor and buy a pair of Shure E3c earbuds... They kick ass and make listening to your iPod much better.

Also, check out the distorted view daily podcast... Sick and twisted!! I love it.

Tom.

Last edited:
lugano said:
We have 2 ipods, a dock is permanently connected to my preamp and there is no difference between mp3 ripped at 256k or better and a CD. If you like to hear some good bass, check out the Koss PortaPro, here's a link right into Amazon :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00001P4ZH/103-9996946-4146207?v=glance&n=172282
Hi Lugano,
Can you explain how you have the iPod connected to your preamp? I don't have a dock.. is there optical coming out of it? I would like to do this also.

Thanks.

Tom.

TomDac said:
Hi Lugano,
Can you explain how you have the iPod connected to your preamp? I don't have a dock.. is there optical coming out of it? I would like to do this also.Thanks.

Tom,

The best way to hook up your iPod is through the line out part of the iPod dock connector. The headphone-out's impedence won't work well with your amp/receiver. The volume level will be minimal on your home audio speakers if you use the headphone jack as an auxilary input, even if you turn your amp's volume up very high.

If you don't want to buy Apple's $40 dock (it doesn't include the power adapter, charger, or S-video cables), you may want to consider one of the following products:
http://www.sendstation.com/us/produc...ineout-fw.html
http://www.sik.com/din.php
http://www.sik.com/ram_din.php

Or, make your own:
http://ipodlinux.org/Dock_Connector
Tubes for a iPod
http://www.psiberaudio.com/iPod_4.htm

TomDac said:
Hi Lugano,
Can you explain how you have the iPod connected to your preamp? I don't have a dock.. is there optical coming out of it? I would like to do this also.

Thanks.

Tom.

Tom, I'm using this cable:

http://www.profigold.com/index?act=product&product=PGA3402&division=Sound&category={lcategorie)&subcat=3%2C5mm+Audio+Interconnects

both my iPods are 3rd generation ones, with a dock sporting a 3.5 mm female connection. See attached pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1132.jpg
    IMG_1132.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 156
iPod caution...

Please use caution when using an iPod and jogging.

A couple of months ago in San Fransico, their was a horrible case of a jogger killed in "Golden Gate Park", by a probable drunken and/or druged up, hit and run driver. The poor women jogger was wearing a iPod at the time, as she ran in the park. The police say she probably never heard the car until it was on top of her and mowing her down.

Robin said:

A couple of months ago in San Fransico, their was a horrible case of a jogger killed in "Golden Gate Park", by a probable drunken and/or druged up, hit and run driver. The poor women jogger was wearing a iPod at the time, as she ran in the park. The police say she probably never heard the car until it was on top of her and mowing her down.

That's a good point. I read an article the other day in a UK newspaper talking about the same thing. They went on to say that people who wear headphones are more susceptible to being mugged or pick-pocketed.

of course, iPodding needs attention. You might get hit on your head by an iPod. There's been a case of severe injury caused by repeated hitting one's head with a 3rd gen ipod. Plenty of lawyers waiting to sue Apple on that matter. iPods are also full of mp3's illegally downloaded from internet - can you legally proof the origin of your ipod's content ?

this is sick.

Robin said:

That goes with any MP3 player, radio, ear plugs, tape player, CD player...

In addition, you can legally proof the origin of the content if you have the CD's... Or everything you purchased through iTunes or whatever...

And ummm, not to be a dick here... But I'd suggest possibly maybe returning the iPod. The rumors are that on the 30th Anniversary of Apple computers (April 1st), Steve Jobs will have another announcement (probably April 2nd), and it will be a 6th generation TOUCHSCREEN iPod, along with a 13.3" wide screen MacBook for anyone who cares...

GET THAT ONE!!!

The rumors are that the screen will be 4 inches...

The reasons are that Apple filed for many patents in 2005 related to "a device controlled by touching the screen"...

Robin said:

Thanks for the concern Robin, I'll be OK. First off I don't jog, can't think of anything that bores me more.

I do a lot of cycling, but I wouldn't dare wear the i-Pod while road riding because of exactly the dangers you mention. I have taken it mountain biking already though - but seriously, where I ride I rearely see another human being period and there is no way any vehicles would be around. I wouldn't hear a bear or mountain lion coming up on me though if they wanted me for lunch. I've stumbled upon both while riding, but if my number's up then I don't think it'll matter to the critter if I'm listening to music or not. :rolleyes:

Yang1815 said:
That goes with any MP3 player, radio, ear plugs, tape player, CD player...

In addition, you can legally proof the origin of the content if you have the CD's... Or everything you purchased through iTunes or whatever...

And ummm, not to be a dick here... But I'd suggest possibly maybe returning the iPod. The rumors are that on the 30th Anniversary of Apple computers (April 1st), Steve Jobs will have another announcement (probably April 2nd), and it will be a 6th generation TOUCHSCREEN iPod, along with a 13.3" wide screen MacBook for anyone who cares...

GET THAT ONE!!!
I can proove the origin of everything I'll rip because I'll only copy disc's I already own. I have a real moral issue with ripping music I don't legally own. Not trying to start a debate, just stating my position on the subject.

As for the new video version of the i-Pod with a touchscreen, I gave that some thought before I purchased and I can't see myself wanting it. If I want to watch a movie while I'm traveling I already have a very cool portable DVD player with a 10.5" widescreen and great sound. I take it with me every time I travel. I can't see myself giving up that screen for one only 3-4" diagonal. I really only wanted the i-Pod for music at the gym, mountain biking and while traveling. You're not being a dick Yang1815, we just have different needs and applications. Thanks for the heads up though.

MiTT said:
You're not being a dick Yang1815, we just have different needs and applications. Thanks for the heads up though.

No problem. It's not that you'll use the feature or not, but if you're paying the same amount of money wouldn't you want more?

Zune

So, you guys all have ipods -- I have resisted. About 1.5 yrs ago I bought a Dell DJ 30 gb (non-video) mp3 player. It was 75 dollars less than the same ipod at the time.

The non-ipod market has been pretty unorganized but many of the players have had more/better features for less money than apple. Still, Apple has about 70% of the market share.

What do you think about the new Microsoft made Zune. It is going to have full backing from MSFT and probably a strong push through MTV as well. It has the wifi sharing feature and probably will be priced around ipod (or slightly less)

MSFT is looking to do the whole vertical integration thing and sell the music, the player, and the software. rumors are also that they may import your ipod library and essentially buy all of your music again for you through their service to make the transition seamless.

I will most likely get one when they first come out this winter.

Any thoughts?

Zune Press Room

TheBobGoat said:
Any thoughts?

The Zune's design looks like a bad copy cat of the iPod. I'll be an Apple fan til the day I die. Anyway... ran into this article this past week.

THINK DRM WAS bad already? Think I was joking when I said the plan was to start with barely tolerable incursions on your rights, then turn the thumbscrews? Welcome to Windows Media Player 11, and the rights get chipped away a lot more. Get used to the feeling, if you buy DRM infected media, you will only have this happen with increasing rapidity.
One of the problems with WiMP11 is licensing and backing it up. If you buy media with DRM infections, you can't move the files from PC to PC, or at least you can't and have them play on the new box. If you want the grand privilege of moving that content, you need to get the approval of the content mafia, sign your life away, and use the tools they give you. If you want to do it in other ways, you are either a lawbreaker or following the advice of J Allard. Wait, same thing.

So, in WiMP10, you just backed up your licenses, and stored them in a safe place. Buying DRM infections gets you a bunch of bits and a promise not to sue, but really nothing more. The content mafia will do anything in its power, from buying government to rootkitting you in order to protect those bits, and backing them up leaves a minor loophole while affording the user a whole lot of protection.

Guess which one wins, minor loophole or major consumer rights? Yes, WiMP11 will no longer allow you the privilege of backing up your licenses, they are tied to a single device, and if you lose it, you are really SOL. Remember that feeling I mentioned earlier? This is nothing less than a civil rights coup, and most people are dumb enough to let it happen.

Read the links, the entire page is scary as hell, but the licensing part takes the cake. "Windows Media Player 11 does not permit you to back up your media usage rights (previously known as licenses)", Wow, new terminology, old idea, you are a wallet with legs waiting to be raped. "The store might limit the number of times that you can restore your rights or limit the number of computers on which can use the songs or videos that you obtain from them. Some stores do not permit you to restore media usage rights at all." Translation, not our problem, and get bent, we got your cash.

But it gets worse. If you rip your own CDs, WiMP11 will take your rights away too. If the 'Copy protect music' option is turned on, well, I can't top their 1984 wording. "If the file is a song you ripped from a CD with the Copy protect music option turned on, you might be able to restore your usage rights by playing the file. You will be prompted to connect to a Microsoft Web page that explains how to restore your rights a limited number of times." This says to me it will keep track of your ripping externally, and remove your rights whether or not you ask it to. Can you think of a reason you would need to connect to MS for permission to play the songs you ripped from you own CDs? How long do you think it will be before a service pack, masquerading as a 'critical security patch' takes away the optional part of the 'copy protection'? Now do you understand why they have been testing the waters on WiMP phoning home? Think their firewall will stop it even if you ask?

Then when you go down on the page a bit, it goes on to show that it guts Tivo capabilities. After three days, it kills your recordings for you, how thoughtful of them. Going away for a week? Tough, your rights are inconvenient to their profits, so they have to go. "Recorded TV shows that are protected with media usage rights, such as some TV content recorded on premium channels, will not play back after 3 days when Windows Media Player 11 Beta 2 for Windows XP is installed on Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. No known workaround to resolve this issue exists at this time." Workaround my *ss, this is wholesale rights removal by design.

What WiMP11 represents is one of the biggest thefts of your rights that I can think of. MS planned this, pushed the various pieces slowly, and this is the first big hammer to drop. Your rights, the promises they made, and anything else that gets in the way of the content mafia making yet more money gets thrown out. Why? Greed. Your rights? History. You were dumb enough to let it happen, don't say I didn't warn you.

Latest posts

Back