Break-in

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejspain

Reaction score
Since adding the 11As, Parasound A31, and Cinema 50 within weeks of each other, listening to music tonight was the first time I heard a noticeable difference. I know this isn't advised but the opportunity was there so I jumped in. The 11As have well over 600hrs, A31 about 300, and Cin50 maybe 100. Listened to familiar tracks with a few new sprinkles and tonight the sound was, more controlled, not forced, with a bit more air...not much...but noticeable. Soundstage was a tinge wider, musician placement is defining, vocals are super live, toned deep when needed and gentle as asked. The 11As and A31 are definitely starting to spread their wings and it's scary good. My wife yelled..."why do you keep replaying the same song?" Because I couldn't believe how much better some tracks sounded (from yesterday) after listening to it for 20 years. I'm running the 11As with ARC disabled, full range, and the Cinema50 in Pure Direct (no Audyssey/EQ). Guess it's time to get serious with the room correct thingy's, integrating my subs and dialing it in for movies. This is the part where I suck. Any takers? :rolleyes:

Search Martin Logan loudspeaker 11A manual for instructions regarding room placement. Place speakers according to instructions. ELS9 booklet has two steps.

First step.
Measure in inches distance to ceiling. If roof sloping that is not of uniform height. Perhaps can take three readings for height. Measure height at front wall, at center of side wall and at back wall. Take the average of the three. Multiply this average room height by 0.618. Now you know Precise optimal distance from front wall to front midpoint of ELS.

Second step.
Measure in inches distance between side walls. The result divide by 18. Then multiply by 5. Now you know precise optimal distance from side wall to front midpoint of ELS.

Use both measurements together to place speakers. Play music and if require make minor placement adjustments to obtain best in room sonics. Now you have minimized the deleterious effect of standing waves.

Now run room correction software. Fix the height of mic at ear height. Located between the ears. Do not change position of mic. In other words, for all required readings use same or single position.

I have never added subs to my system. However, what I understand from reading Forum posts by light catching member is the following.

For a square room place one subwoofer in each corner.

If room is rectangular place one subwoofer each in center of front wall and back wall. Two subwoofers will be adequate.

An improvement over using 2 subwoofer is to use 2 more. 4 subwoofers each place in center of each wall.

Last edited:
Guess it's time to get serious with the room correct thingy's, integrating my subs and dialing it in for movies. This is the part where I suck. Any takers? :rolleyes:
Me too. Because in your situation, I would just sit back and listen to more of my favorite music. Lots more. But that's me giving more unsolicited advice on your domestic tranquility situation :)

Truthfully, as long as I can hear/feel the organ pedal in the Mercury Living Presence recordings of Marcel Dupre at Saint Sulpice and the sub disappears for recordings without very deep bass, I'm a happy camper. I've spend much time with REW trying for flat, and relatively little so far moving the heavy sub around to very many spots. Since the Velodyne SMS-1 died I've given up for now on digital EQ and just use the 25 and 50 hz. knobs. Actually, in my domestic situation, my partner gets annoyed when I do too many sweeps, so I have to do them when she's away.

As far as cinema goes, I'm happy with how a movie like "Dune" sounds on my system--about 1000X better than on a standard TV and even very good sound bar. I don't care if it approaches the sound of a good theater (and there are plenty of bad ones where I live). I don't go for movies whose principle selling points are visual and aural special effects. But I love my system on solo piano, chamber music, medium sized orchestral, and jazz, and wouldn't dream of doing anything to muck it up. So I guess I'm not the best person for advice on how to tweak your system for how you want it to sound.

Me too. Because in your situation, I would just sit back and listen to more of my favorite music. Lots more. But that's me giving more unsolicited advice on your domestic tranquility situation :)

Truthfully, as long as I can hear/feel the organ pedal in the Mercury Living Presence recordings of Marcel Dupre at Saint Sulpice and the sub disappears for recordings without very deep bass, I'm a happy camper. I've spend much time with REW trying for flat, and relatively little so far moving the heavy sub around to very many spots. Since the Velodyne SMS-1 died I've given up for now on digital EQ and just use the 25 and 50 hz. knobs. Actually, in my domestic situation, my partner gets annoyed when I do too many sweeps, so I have to do them when she's away.

As far as cinema goes, I'm happy with how a movie like "Dune" sounds on my system--about 1000X better than on a standard TV and even very good sound bar. I don't care if it approaches the sound of a good theater (and there are plenty of bad ones where I live). I don't go for movies whose principle selling points are visual and aural special effects. But I love my system on solo piano, chamber music, medium sized orchestral, and jazz, and wouldn't dream of doing anything to muck it up. So I guess I'm not the best person for advice on how to tweak your system for how you want it to sound.
Man I 100% agree. The sounds of music through my system today is eye-squinching, head-bobbing, knee-tapping, single malt scotch good. But I'm also a movie dude with a pretty hefty library (800+ titles) so the rig has to pull double duty. Luck for me I can preset my listening setup and have another profile for movies.

Latest posts

Back