Break in volume

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avninja

Reaction score
Hey folks, what should the break in volume be for new panels on questzs?
I can disconnect the low end, not to drive my neighbors insane, but at what volume should the panel be at?
Thanks
Andrew

More info

It is just because I plan on leaving these on during the day, etc and would just like to know if low to mid listen level will get the job done at all.
thanks
andrew

more current you push through them the faster the panel will loosen up ! :rolleyes:

I would think breaking in the woofers is just as important.

What does the owners manual say?

Moderate low volume seems reasonable to me.

Woofers are original so they are already broken in. But the panels are just recently replaced so I'm trying to get them to life asap!
thanks
Andrew

Break in of speakers is grossly overrated. Go hear a brand new set of Summits and tell me they sound bad. They improve over time slightly. If you need to know you broke your speakers in, just play them at moderate levels at or below what you listen to casually and you will be fine.

attyonline said:
Break in of speakers is grossly overrated.
Agreed. While panels do change over time it is not drastic, and I also believe our "getting used" to the sound makes it appear as changes have occurred!! But this is just an opinion of ours, and to really see how much panels really change over time (say 100 hours), one would need to have a brand new set of speakers to compare against.

To answer the OP question, just play music and enjoy your new speakers. If you are going to play some music while not there, try radio if available. Why put extra hours on a cartridge, or player spindle when you do not have to.

Dan

I completely agree with (DTB300) Dan and attyonline here. I think I have stated this earlier in another post. Why not enjoy the speakers now, knowing that they may increase in overall presentation in a "specified" amount of hours or then again, they may not get any better. For example, if a car dealer said this car is not going to be truly great for about a month of driving, would you let someone else drive it for a month before you took control? :confused:

Just listen to the speakers and enjoy. Life is too short waiting for something which may never arrive.

Jeff :cool:

avninjia; Good afternoon. Welcome to the club. I was told years ago to use your tuner, turn to a radio station you liked and back it off a click so you just get the hiss, ( I think it was white noise they were talking about). Set the volume at a few clicks below what you normally listen to, then leave it on each day as you go to work. Naturally only loud enough so not to upset your neighbors. But it would give you about 50 hours that week, (and you could always play your music or movies at the prefered volume when you get home), or increase the volume, from where you started, gradually each day. I believe with all todays new technology the idea of "burn in" may be over-rated. I don't think it takes more than a few weeks to get where you should be. But that's only my opinion.
What music do you listen to anyway, and which is your favorite "demo" disc? Best of luck with your new system.

All set!

Thanks folks. I've disconnected the low end and have been playing the panels for about 120+ hours and I have noticed a considerable difference. The panels sounded flat before with a definite diminished upper frequency range. I left them playing 24 hours for a week solid and towards the end found a pink noise track on an old alipine highway 1 disc.
All set now.
ironically my first interest in ML's was hearing a friend's pair of requests. I said dang, those sound better than anything I've heard. And now I think I'm getting there. Just a few more details to work out.
Thanks
Andrew

attyonline said:
Break in of speakers is grossly overrated. Go hear a brand new set of Summits and tell me they sound bad. They improve over time slightly. If you need to know you broke your speakers in, just play them at moderate levels at or below what you listen to casually and you will be fine.

I have to respectfully disagree. When I first got my Summits the mids were severly "sucked out". It only took a few days...perhaps 30-40 hours total, but they opened up tremendously. The improvements after that were very small, but noticable.

I thought my Summits sounded fairly flat when I got them. I've had a couple of hundred hours on them now and I believe they've improved since new. I don't think it's a dramatic change, just that the frequency extremes are smoother and it's seems as though the imaging is better. Any moving part has to have a settling in period. But by and large, it's not as long as some might believe.

Latest posts

Back