Box alternative to Martin Logan.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buying MLs as a Canadian

As a fellow Canadian, I"ve bought probably 30+ audio items from the U.S. (including ascents, logos, and Theater!) and understand some of your reservations. A most concerning observation that I and a number of US counterparts I've interacted with have indicated is that Canadian buyers or sellers are generally more difficult to deal with than U.S.

I don't know why or want to start a heated issue, its just an observation. Catalogue ordering, net purchasing is just much more established in the U.S. Pehaps its just an educational thing. What I'm saying is don't discount a US purchase.

Made in US and Used can result in minimal duties. Remember you already save 15% GST/PST. Exchange rates are better than ever for Canadians. So really incorporate this in the prices you tend to see of US vs Cda.

Look at some California sales which may reduce shipping. Get the Zip codes and check for yourself based on weight and size the costs of shipping. Consider a weekend drive, if you've the car size. Computed all in, I drove 8 hours to pick up my fronts brand new at over $1000 less than cheapest Canadian price, all duties, travel costs, minivan rental. It's about whether you don't mind the time, better yet bundle it in with a partial vacation.

Audiogon is great. Just be patient ensure you have a reliable seller, transact accordingly. Good luck

When do panels need replacing?

After a period of time the panels on Martin Logan's like to be replaced - I don't know how long this is, but I'd find out before buying a 12 year old pair (and if proceeding, how much the replacement panels would cost).

Aerius i's sell in the US for $1000 to $1300, more or less. Originals should be 20 to 40% (?).

Why do panels need changing? I'm guessing that the tension of the mylar/plastic just lessens with time and the micro-movement ; a certain level of elasticity and tension is required from the plastic film,...and it seems it must lose some of this with age.

I have no idea how long they last, probably depends on how often played, what kind of music, how clean the room, the moisture in the air, and who knows what.

Not to say you shouldn't buy older speakers, just letting you know something that might be worth considering in the purchase :)

Martin

Thanks Guys,

I have yet to hear back from the Guy in Hamilton selling them. He said he was busy and was going to try and get some photo's off to me, but that was on Saturday, I emailed him again yesterday, but still nothing. I will probably call him tonight.

I am considering buying out of the US now (if the above deal fails), but the problem is the cost of shipping + adding a brokerage charge + Tax when I bring them accross. Unless I get a great deal I think this will drive the cost up higher than what I can afford.

I looked into replacement panels and they are $395 US. So I imagine that buy the time I get them they would be about $600-$650 Canadian.

Cheers,
Nick

Just thought I would post an update.

I talked to the guy selling the Aerius's on thursday and he assured me that I would have some photo's and the serial numbers of the speakers this weekend.

Long story short I am not holding my breath, I think selling them is just not very high on his priority list, so I am still actively hunting for something.

I will let you know once I find something. All I can say is it sucks being without a main system.

Happy listening,
Nick

price for the Aerius from the Orion Blue Book

Hola...the price for the Aerius at the 2004 Orion Blue Book is $ 979.00 in mint condition. Just for your records...hope this can help!

Happy listening and regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto.

D-day

I'm about to do something stupid.

After being without speakers for a month its starting to do weird things to me. Instead of listening to music I have been lurking around the boards. I have looked everywhere for some ML's I can afford and only had one good lead which went dead.

So after much consideration I have decided to order some MMG's tomorrow. I told myself I would give it one more day. I still want get some ML's, but it's going to have to wait until I can save enough up to replace the MMG.

So unless someone here happens to see something or they think the MMG is absolutely not going to work for me, tomorrow is it.

Cheers,
Nick

I saw those.
They are the single wire Aerius which I have been told to avoid.I believe they are also to old to have the auto off circuit which I need because my wife has cats and now we have a new black lab.

As well as the pricing is really high on them. Plus shipping into Canada is quite expensive as well as I have to pay a brokerage. He would have to sell them to me for $650 for them to be worth it, even then it's still the single wire terminal.

Thanks
Nick

Regarding the Auto-Off circuit: My Sequels (circa 1987) had the auto-off circuit and I believe all the speakers after that time did too. I have heard MMGs and think you'll be in the market for a subwoofer very soon. Good luck!

Tom.

I have decided to hold out for some Martin Logan's.

I was trying to think - How would I look back at this in six months?
Answer is I would be disappointed if I did not buy Logan's.

You have all been extremely nice and accommodating while I am bouncing back and forth. So please let me express a very heart felt thank you to everyone.

Happy listening,
Nick

Smart move

Good decision - you'll only regret buying something else.

Once you've heard the ML sound, nothing else is good enough.

Totally OT thought, something that's puzzled me for a long time, why do people spend so much on non-ML speakers, like Wilson Audio or Focal JM Lab??

Cheers,

David :)

I have owned 2nd-hand Original Aerius' since the late 90's and they continue to work just fine, even with mediocre front-end equipment. I always meant to upgrade these electronics but the $$$ were never there. Now I'm retired and it may never be :(
However, that has not stopped me from enjoying them, and I still wouldn't part with them even if I have to move to smaller quarters.
I had originally heard about them in Stereophile magazine and they had made their "B" list in '96. I located an authorized retailer in Vancouver (Canada), but they were horribly set up in a small demo room. I believed Stereophile that they would sound better if set up properly in a larger room.
I decided to start saving my pennies although it was hard to convince my "better half" that ANY loudspeakers were worth $3300 (Cdn). Weeks later I found the ones I now own at a retailer who wasn't an authorized ML dealer. He had them hard up against the wall in his entrance hallway, fed by a small Denon mini-amp/tuner/CDplayer. They had been traded in by someone who was moved into a small condo and wanted smaller speakers. Even in that hallway they sounded good. At $1500 Cdn I couldn't resist.
Unfortunately they are fed by the following list of devices (audiophiles, please don't cringe. You can stop reading now :eek: :
Philips Cd-Interactive player CDI220/57 with CDM9/44 transport;
JVC 200-disc CD caroussel XLMC222;
JVC tape deck TD-V661;
Onyko FM tuner T-401;
Rotel Dolby Processor used as a preamp RSP-960AX;
Adcom 5 channel power amp GFA6000;
bi-wired with Radio Shack 12 gauge using their gold plated connectors.
See photo attachment.
---Update (March 2005): just bought the Philips transport for $17.99 Cdn !!!; showroom condition, works great, gives good sense of depth, no harshness on highs, extended bass. A good step up from the JVC XLMC-222.

Attachments

• Dscf0005a.jpg
    Dscf0005a.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 166
  • CDI220.jpg
    CDI220.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
mentorron said:
Unfortunately they are fed by the following list of devices (audiophiles, please don't cringe. You can stop reading now :eek: :
JVC 200-disc CD caroussel XLMC222;
JVC tape deck TD-V661;
Onyko FM tuner T-401;
Rotel Dolby Processor used as a preamp RSP-960AX;
Adcom 5 channel power amp GFA6000;
bi-wired with Radio Shack 12 gauge using their gold plated connectors.
Nothing wrong with those components. Of course with MLs, the more investment you make with the electronics, the better the rewards are when it comes to quality sound. You have to start somewhere.:) Before I got my pair of amps, I actually drove my Aerius i's with an integrated Rotel amp (RA-972 rated at only 60wpc!:eek: ). Sure- the climaxes on orchestral music is a little lacking when I turn up the volume but it was half-decent. I never felt embarrassed using it until I could afford to get something better.

When you get get a chance, upgrade your components one step at a time (you don't have to break the bank- lots of good deals out there) and you will never regret it.

All-right, so please do not through any rotten fruit at me, but I bought some Magnepan MG12's.

They showed up on the used market very close to me for a good price. The MG12 was the exact Maggie that I wanted for my space if I could not find any ML's. They are only 7 months old and were alomost never used.

It's not that I don't like ML, it's just that the Maggies worked out and the other two pairs of Aerius's I found both did not. At a latter date I will probably buy some ML's as I like both speakers.

Happy Listening,
Nick

Last edited:
Nick said:
All-right, so please do not through any rotten fruit a me but I bought some Magnepan MG12's.

Great to hear you finally found something. Being without music for a while is bad for ones health...

Enjoy your new toys.

Dan

Nick... nothing wrong with a pair of Magnepan MG12's. And I don't get the impression that Martin Logan owners are the type to look down at you (like some other equipment owners) for not purchasing a pair of Martin Logans. This forum is all about helping individuals find what is right for them within the parameters of their room, their budget, and their musical tastes. I think I can speak for all when I say, If you are happy, then we are happy for you.

Good luck with the MG12's. They are great speakers.

Nick said:
Hello Guys,

Could any one here offer a good box alternative after not being able to find any good used ML?

Many thanks
Nick

No! the whole idea of the electrostat is to get rid of the box. Once you go M-L you can never go back, I'm living proof, I've owned many boxes, KEF's, Spica's, AR's and others but when I put my M-L's in my living room I'll never own another box speaker.

I don't agree wth most here... I think a 'box speaker' (better said: dynamic drivers) does have it's advantages. Just let your ears decide.

garmtz said:
I don't agree wth most here... I think a 'box speaker' (better said: dynamic drivers) does have it's advantages. Just let your ears decide.

I did let my ears decide - even box speakers costing twice as much just couldn't compete with the MLs.

I certainly wouldn't go back to any dynamic driver based system now.

Cheers,

David

ML is more a bang for your buck speaker but once you pass the 10K mark there are a load of speakers that will out do an ML.

Back