Bob Carver's Sunfire Cinema Amps - What do you think?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Artar1 said:
DBT300,
Well, all I can say is thank you for your insightful comments, and, yes, I did miss your previous post about the Theta Dreadnaught II. However, I just looked up your previous writings about the Dreadnaught and was amazed to say the least.

My including the Dreadnaught on my short list was not based upon hearing it, for that will come later, but on reputation alone. Now, I think I will be removing that amp from my list based upon your experiences. Why? Simple. What you wrote made sense to me, and I could see myself having a very similar experience.

Try to listen to the Theta if you can, as your preferences may be different than mine. And who knows if the one I heard had issues with it or not. But just based on what I heard, I would have not purchased it with the Summits - that is if I was going to buy them :)

It's interesting to learn that what one might think will work with the Martin Logans in fact may not be a good match, as was the case with your experience with the Dreadnaught and my experience with the McIntosh MC402.

Remember though, these are just our opinions on what we heard and like. You need to "use your ears and listen" and make your decisions based on your budget and preferences. I know I sound like a broken record when I use the "Roberto Phrase" as I say this over and over, but it is the best way.

Now I am getting a better picture as to what will work and what won't.

So back to my short list:

Sunfire Signature 600-2
Plinius SA102 Mk III
Ayre V5x
Quicksilver V4 Monos
Blue Circle BC26

For me I have only heard the Plinius and Ayre on Logans - Ayre on the Summits and Plinius on my CLSIIz's. For me and my tastes, I am a big fan of the Plinius. The Plinius did what Tube Amps do on the Midrange, but had the ability for tight, controlled, authoritative bass, with smooth high end (does not sound like typical Solid State high end). The Ayre was not too bad, but that impression was after replacing the Theta with it. I would have liked to compared it to my Plinius or other amps in the store so I have a better idea of what the Ayre is like.

From my travels around the Internet (whatever good or bad that means) Blue Circle gets a bunch of good talk about it, just as the Sunfire Amps do for Hybrid and Solid State amps. The Quicksilvers on the tube side also get very good reports and discussion.

Any comments? What is your take on the Ayre and the Plinius? Do you have any opinions about the Sunfire? Right now the Sunfire is the front runner.

If you liked what you heard from the Logan/Sunfire combo, and a bunch of others here like the Sunfire, I do not think you could go wrong. But if you have a chance to try out some others, that would be best. Patience, patience, patience, is the key here, so in the long run you get a component that you were looking for. This is very hard when we have the UPGRADE BUG (I know as it killed me to listen to a bunch of amps before purchasing my Plinius), but it will save you from a bad purchase (just to purchase) instead of the real item you should have gotten - make sense?

Dan

Last edited:
If you liked what you heard from the Logan/Sunfire combo, and a bunch of others here like the Sunfire, I do not think you could go wrong. But if you have a chance to try out some others, that would be best. Patience, patience, patience, is the key here, so in the long run you get a component that you were looking for. This is very hard when we have the UPGRADE BUG (I know as it killed me to listen to a bunch of amps before purchasing my Plinius), but it will save you from a bad purchase (just to purchase) instead of the real item you should have gotten - make sense?

Dan,

You always make perfect sence... I plan to be very patient / shrude, 'Trusting my ears' (thank you - roberto). I will try out most or all of the listed Amplifiers in this thread, including, Plinius.... Upgraditous, is a bug, I happily suffer from, but on the other hand, $4,000 USD, is alot of money... and I do need to invest it wisely, as you suggest.

Thanks for the good advise.

-Robin

Robin said:
timm,

I see you are a new contributing member, let me be the first to offer you a hearty welcome! And... Thank you, for your information on the, Sunfire Cinema Signature Grand. If a, Sunfire Cinema Signature Grand, can drive your ML Odyssey's, and sound great, and more amazing than, 'Rotel' amplifiers, then that is truely high praise... It is all good info. for me to concider.

timm, I must confess, I am very courious as to what are some, of the other components, in your system, i. e., your Processer", Subwoofer?, Center?, Surrounds?, Cables?, etc.?

timm, It is great to have you as a forum member... I look forward to hearing from you soon...

Thanks again,

-Robin

Thanks for the welcome - Robin. My system consists of the following:
Sunfire TGIII processor
Sunfire cinema signature amp (version 2 - 425 X5 into 8 ohms)
ML odysseys (using the 5 channel amp to bi-amp)
AudioQuest Bedrock for speaker cable
AudioQuest copperhead interconnects
Denon 5900 Universal player
For home theater - I use my Carver M500T to power the rears & the center channel is powered by the Sunfire. I have Paradigm mini-monitors & a paradigm center channel speaker. I also have a Paradigm 10" sub - which I use for home theater as well. I am not that discerning when it comes to home theater - and I just don't feel the itch to go MLs all the way around - since the image/depth/transparency on the Odysseys is just incredible.
I used to enjoy 5 channel music on my paradigm system - but, just don't feel the need or want with the Logans.

One more thing...

My brother has a Bryston 4BSST. I have heard it - it sounds fantastic with Ascents. The layers of soundstage are pretty amazing. It is an extremely detailed system and the imaging is pinpoint. I have heard some say the Brystons are bright - however, I have also heard that they made big improvements in the SSTs...

timm,

Your system sounds totally awesome... I'd like to see some pic's sometime. I'll check out the, Bryston 4BSST, too... Thanks for the info.

-Robin

When you make your decision

Please make sure you post your decision once you figure it all out / demo things etc and your impressions of the different amps you listened to. I would be very interested in what your findings/opiinions are of the different amps you get a chance to audition. Have fun!! tim.

Back