Blue-Ray - Delayed

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
That’s no surprise,

The software was set to release with the first Blu-Ray player Samsung’s BD-P1000, but last month Samsung decided to push back the release date to finish final testing on the player. What’s the point to release software for a format that has no players available? This delay of the software was excepted.

Samsung and Sony’s players are excepted to release end of July to mid August. Pioneers player is looking to be mid August to September.

Robin said:
My son just informed me Sony Entertainment just announced it has decided to delaying it's release of Sony Entertainment titles on Blue-Ray.

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...49Z_01_N04194294_RTRIDST_0_FILM-BLURAY-DC.XML

Sony electronic co. and Pioneer have decided to delay their release of their players till around August 06. Oh well, "All good things..." ;)

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

:p Long Live Blue-Ray! ;)
Hola Robin...here is another link...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060504/tc_nm/media_dvds_dc
Happy listening,
Roberto.

Ho hum ;) Not much to say about this other than Sony has a nice history in recent times of backing loser technology.

title: Sony Delays Blu-ray Software Titles to Coincide With Delayed Player Release Dates
date: May 4, 2006
by: Bryan Dailey

While early HD-DVD adopters who have picked up their copies of discs such as “Goodfellas,” “The Last Samurai” and “The Phantom of the Opera” scour the globe for players that are harder to find than the Xbox 360 during Christmas of 2005, Sony’s Blu-ray format has hit its own speed bump.

It was just announced that the arrival of the first titles of the Blu-ray disc format has been pushed back by a month until June 20. Sony Pictures Home Entertainment president Benjamin Feingold said his studio's first batch of Blu-ray releases will be ready May 23, as planned. However, their retailers and hardware partners have asked them to delay the release.

This brings to mind the famous “What comes, first, the chicken or the egg?” debate. Consumers want to know there will be a nice batch of titles available before purchasing a player, but hardware manufacturers don’t want to release players until they know that they are going to work properly and there are going to be enough titles to drive consumer demand.

Samsung, for example, is a month behind with the release of their Blu-ray player, recently announcing that it would be in stores June 25. With the amount of delays from both formats, consumers at some point will stop holding their collective breathes. HD-DVD discs are now readily available in stores, but after calling several BestBuy, CompUSA and Circuit City locations in southern California to find an HD-DVD player to buy, it became quickly apparent that even the store managers have no real idea when they expect to actually receive the hardware.

An order for a Toshiba HD-DVD player from Amazon.com placed last week yields an estimated delivery date of June 7-23, 2006. This 16-day window is over a month away at this point. In other words, even online giant Amazon.com doesn’t know when they will be getting players.

Feingold said the first eight Blu-ray Disc titles from Sony will not ship until just before Samsung’s Blu-ray player is scheduled to be in stores on June 25. Feingold say this is being done so there is a more clear-cut launch period for Blu-ray, unlike the very disjoined HD-DVD launch that has been frustrating and confusing for consumers. Blu-ray should see title sales spike with the release of Sony’s Playstation 3, which starts hitting the stores in late fall, just in time for the 2006 holiday season.

The first batch of Blu-ray disc titles from Warner Home Video are expected to arrive in stores around the same time, although Warner has not given an official statement as to their release date.

The Sony Blu-ray disc titles that are now slated to arrive in stores June 20 are "Underworld: Evolution" (arriving the same day as the DVD), "50 First Dates," "The Fifth Element," "Hitch," "House of Flying Daggers," "A Knight's Tale," "The Last Waltz," "Resident Evil Apocalypse" and "XXX."

Source: Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

http://www.avrev.com/news/0506/04.sonydelay.shtml

Blue-ray

Joe and roberto,

Thank you very much for the additional information / internet links. I'm still holding out for Blue-Ray. Although, after seeing a couple of McIntosh mono-blocks and a McIntosh MCD201 SACD/CD player at the store today, the experience really turned my head. What a sound. I wish I could have heard the McIntosh's with my Ascent i's. Oh well, I keep dreaming... ;)

Thanks again,

Is the delay HDMI related?

I mean currently the HD-DVD players out don't have a HDMI capable of sending out the high end sound options...

tsd2005 said:
Is the delay HDMI related?

I mean currently the HD-DVD players out don't have a HDMI capable of sending out the high end sound options...
No, Blu-Ray’s delay has nothing to do with hardware problems. Samsung will be the first to release a Blu-Ray player, their player is finished and was suppose to release around this time but they decided to hold the launch to finish Bata testing, and final testing. The Blu-Ray software is pressed and ready to go and will be released when the first player launches in June- August.

Toshibas HD-DVD players are having problems because they tried to cut corners to hit the $500.00 price point.

Well HDMI 1.3 won't be available for another 4 weeks. This is straight from the source.

So the D2 can't even begin production to work with the new audio formats DIGITALLY for another 4 weeks.

Yes, it is also the reason for some player delays.

tsd2005 said:
Well HDMI 1.3 won't be available for another 4 weeks. This is straight from the source.

So the D2 can't even begin production to work with the new audio formats DIGITALLY for another 4 weeks.

Yes, it is also the reason for some player delays.

HDMI 1.1 is required to send a processed PCM single from the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player to the pre-pro for playback.

HDMI 1.3 is required to send a raw unprocessed single to the pre-pro so the Dolby Plus/DTS-HD decoders can process it. But no pre-pro’s have these processors in them yet because there is no way to get the unprocessed single from the player to the pre-pro until HDMI 1.3 is done.

Any pre-pro with HDMI 1.1 can playback the processed PCM single (like the Anthem D2).

Honestly HDMI 1.3 will not matter because none of the first wave of players will be able to play any of the newer surround sound formats. The Toshiba will be able to play Dolby TrueHD but only in stereo. This is also why the first Blu-Ray Sony titles will contain the uncompressed PCM soundtrack so that high resolution audio can be streamed from the player to the pre/pro via HDMI 1.1.

Of course things will get worked out but you really got to read the URL I posted previously so you can see how rushed to market both formats are.

I did read the article you posted, it was nicely done, and I enjoyed it very much. There wasn’t much information in there that I didn’t already know, but it was a fun read none the less.

Actually the players take the signals and turn them into DTS....

otherwise the signal can be sent out processed by players via ANALOG.... like DVD-A and SACD....

A true player won't be around until they have an HDMI 1.3 output...

Kind of like the first DVD players that came out without Component outputs...

Latest posts

Back