Blu-Ray has Launched!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverb2009

Reaction score
The war is on!

The first Blu-Ray Hi-Def DVD player the Samsung BD-P1000 has been released and spotted at local BestBuy’s. Along with the flowing movies…

The Fifth Element
XXX
Hitch
House of Flying Daggers
The Terminator

The Sony BDP-S1 is scheduled to release on, or around August 15, and Pioneer Elite BDP-HD1 has been pushed back to September.

Take Care, :)

EDIT.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=688411
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=688422
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=688506

Last edited:
SugarMedia said:
Well, it certainly looks better than the other HD DVD.
http://tinyurl.com/fch2j

So who will be the first on here to buy it & give us a review?
Not me.

I am not a fan of Samsung products, there is no way I will spend $1000.00 on a Samsung DVD player. If I can, I am holding out for the PS3, but the Sony Blu-Ray player looks mighty tempting.

Also the Pioneer Elite player may be the best 1st Gen hi-def player released of any of the players. Pioneers official press release said they were pushing back the launch because of manufacturing difficulties. But Pioneer reps and insiders close to Pioneer are being told they are holing back the launch to let Samsung and Sony’s players be the guinea pigs. That would give them time to fix any bugs and might pop up on the Samsung/Sony players and would also give them time to include HDMI 1.3 and the Dolby True/DTS-HD decoders. Two features no Hi-def player yet has.

Pioneer Elite Blue-Ray Player....

Zip3kx07 said:
Not me.

I am not a fan of Samsung products, there is no way I will spend $1000.00 on a Samsung DVD player. If I can, I am holding out for the PS3, but the Sony Blu-Ray player looks mighty tempting.

Also the Pioneer Elite player may be the best 1st Gen hi-def player released of any of the players. Pioneers official press release said they were pushing back the launch because of manufacturing difficulties. But Pioneer reps and insiders close to Pioneer are being told they are holing back the launch to let Samsung and Sony’s players be the guinea pigs. That would give them time to fix any bugs and might pop up on the Samsung/Sony players and would also give them time to include HDMI 1.3 and the Dolby True/DTS-HD decoders. Two features no Hi-def player yet has.
Joe,

I think, I'm gonna try to wait until I see what Pioneer has to offer. If they do offer HDMI 1.3 as well as Dolby True / DTS-HD decoders that would be soooo excellent. We'll see what happens.. :D

Funny Post.

Here is a Funny post from AVSforum. :D

I just picked up the Samsung Blu Ray player and the manager at Best Buy was chasing me telling me the clerk made a mistake and I had to return it immediately.... I literally just signed the VISA receipt, grabbed the player and walked as fast as I could towards the door with the Manager telling me to stop. I just kept walking as fast as I could, straight to my car holding the receipt in the air!!!! I kept saying sorry dude, I alraeady bought it... they kept following me and not knowing what to do... No way baby!!! Its mine!!!!

The HD-DVD A1 player has also showed up today for evaluation...

Anyone in the DC area is welcome to come over... David Boulet is coming, others welcome... We are trying to stalk Best Buys for the movies... The manager caught on too quick and I had to grab the player and run!!!

I have to run for now... I have to go to work for 2 hours then come back at 5:00....

Chris

I've had this unit as well as a test disc for awhile now. I picked up an actual Blu-Ray title....

and compared to HD-DVD....

I see no difference except in load times. One of our installers thinks the Samsung has slightly more three-dimensionality, but I honestly believe he is looking for something to be there.

Both technologies beat HDTV in PQ hands down, and the Dolby Plus is better than DVD tracks...

but until I hear DTS-HD (which will be available on both) I'm not sure how I'll react to them.

The real reason Blu-Ray appears better is for storage purposes for the PC user. It will be interesting to see if consumers care about either one of these units.

tsd2005: I have too seen both at the CES, both the PQ is better than a HD Sat or Cable feed but over the air depending where your at pretty close. All the Toshiba HD-DVD units I have seen in stores around here have had major overheating issues and more than half where not working correctly. For me Blu-Ray is the way to go, because I am a Final Cut Pro HD user and I see the value in having more disc space to store movies and information, especially in HD quality. Just very glad "Apple" decided to go this route.

Back