Birthday Present

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliveatfive

Reaction score
OK - So my wife had no idea what to get me for a present. I said, "don't worry, I'll take care of it myself." So I just ordered that REF 3. Oh, it's not as bad as it sounds. I'll sell the BAT VK51SE and the ARC VT 100 III to defray a good deal of the cost of the new toy. I expect it in about 3 weeks. Pictures tb posted upon arrival!

Superb choice my friend !!! no doubt one of if not the finest two channel pre's on the planet !!

What is a REF 3? I know it's a pre-amp, but who makes it, etc...

how about a link so those of us who aren't "in the know" can get on the same page and then share in your excitement properly?

:D

how about a link so those of us who aren't "in the know" can get on the same page and then share in your excitement properly?

You are kidding aren't you Tom?! ARC Ref III?! About $10k for an all tube all AMAZING Pre! One of the top pre's money can buy!

Anyone who affords himself a $10,000 present is a lucky man....

Damn you, you lucky man!

:D :cheers: :rocker:

You are kidding aren't you Tom?! ARC Ref III?! About $10k for an all tube all AMAZING Pre! One of the top pre's money can buy!

Sorry.. never heard of it.... :eek: Seriously.. I'm not kidding...

Just googled it.. Looks nice.. $10K is a lot of cabbage, though... What makes it so great?

Just googled it.. Looks nice.. $10K is a lot of cabbage, though... What makes it so great?

Can't believe you missed this one Tom. I have never critically listened to one but that is what is driving the Summit's at Audio Systems (the local ML dealer here in Austin) and EVERY article I have read about the Ref III just RAVES about it!

Tom,

Almost every audio publication ranks this as the first or second best preamp that they've ever heard. I bought one from the dealer that sold me my first pair of Logans. He had just gotten a brand new pair of Paradigms. The system (ARC Ref 3, Bryston monoblocs, ARC CD3) sounded magnificent. I was sold on the spot. (Truth to be told, I sold myself - no salesman needed!)

EVERY article I have read about the Ref III just RAVES about it!

More importantly, Dave has one and just raves about it! C'mon Tom, you've got to read the posts. :D

Edit: No, actually, I'm the one who has to read the posts. From his system description, looks like Dave has the LS 26. (But he still raves about the Ref 3). Anyway, it is supposed to be an excellent tube pre and is one that I am seriously considering for my two channel setup.

Last edited:
Happy Birthday!

OK - So my wife had no idea what to get me for a present. I said, "don't worry, I'll take care of it myself." So I just ordered that REF 3. Oh, it's not as bad as it sounds. I'll sell the BAT VK51SE and the ARC VT 100 III to defray a good deal of the cost of the new toy. I expect it in about 3 weeks. Pictures tb posted upon arrival!
aliveatfive,

:D You Are Soooo Lucky...

I wish I could order a piece of audio gear for my birthday... The ACR Ref III preamp will truly a present for your ears. :drool:

:D Congratulations and enjoy your Birthday!:D

aliveatfive,

:D You Are Soooo Lucky...

I wish I could order a piece of audio gear for my birthday... The ACR Ref III preamp will truly a present for your ears. :drool:

:D Congratulations and enjoy your Birthday!:D

Thanks for the good wishes, Robin! (Good Audio - the gift that keeps on giving!)

Just so you don't feel embarrassed all alone, I wasn't aware of it either. I thought perhaps the reference was to a B&K Reference 3, which is decent, but not that great. :eek:

More importantly, Dave has one and just raves about it! C'mon Tom, you've got to read the posts. :D

Edit: No, actually, I'm the one who has to read the posts. From his system description, looks like Dave has the LS 26. (But he still raves about the Ref 3). Anyway, it is supposed to be an excellent tube pre and is one that I am seriously considering for my two channel setup.

I didnt know Dave had the Ref3....:p .

Welcome to the club

I got my REF-3 a few weeks ago it is fantastic. You will be very happy, especially after it breaks in a bit. I have 250+ hours and it's as if I have never heard music before in my home system. BTW the LS-26 is also quite fantastic!!!!!....Steve

I got my REF-3 a few weeks ago it is fantastic. You will be very happy, especially after it breaks in a bit. I have 250+ hours and it's as if I have never heard music before in my home system. BTW the LS-26 is also quite fantastic!!!!!....Steve

This coming from a guy who was all about solid state.... that's a great endorsement for this particularly fine preamp!

Wish I could hear your system now Steve!

Joey

Aliveatfive, You are going to love this preamp! I haven't even thought about getting anything else. Don't you also have a Ref 110?

Back