Bink Audio Test CD

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaliar

Reaction score
(This info has been posted recently on Québec Audio & Vidéo's Forums.)

It's about 59 downloadable (legal) WAV files that can be used to test audio equipment.

Info and files can be found at: http://www.binkster.net/extras.shtml#cd

Here's how the author, Michael "Bink" Knowles, presents his work:

"I was always unhappy working in live sound with the usual recording studio or home audio test CDs I've seen in the last 20 years so I made one of my own. I believe it is better suited than most for the Live Sound mixer to carry around.

Do you have a fast internet connection? You're in luck! you can download the Bink Audio Test CD from a server in Ireland. Here's the full collection of zipped WAV files -- this single download is 423 MB and will take anywhere from 40 minutes to 2 hours, depending on your speed."

You can also download individual files if you prefer.

When the download is complete, you can:
- unzip the files and burn a CD
- or save the unzipped files to a folder on you hard drive, if you use your PC as a transport

Please make sure to read carefully the "Using the Bink AudioTest CD" text file BEFORE playing the WAV files. Volume should be set very LOW at first because most of the WAV files are recorded at high volume and contain tones that could be destructive. You have been warned !!

Enjoy!

Excellent find, Kaliar. Just downloaded and burned a cd. I particularly like the pure sine waves - great for tracking down buzzes and rattles in the room. Easier to use and more frequencies than the other test discs I've been using.
Thanks,
Bill

Bill Donnell said:
Excellent find, Kaliar. Just downloaded and burned a cd. I particularly like the pure sine waves - great for tracking down buzzes and rattles in the room. Easier to use and more frequencies than the other test discs I've been using.
Thanks,
Bill
Thanks Bill,

Glad to see you find it useful ! :)

Kaliar,
For those of us (at least, me) who cannot get DSL, who find the ticket for satellite internet a bit too high, and who lack a lot or internet savvy (quite a list of sins in today's world), how long might a download on a regular 56K modem take for this set of tracks? If the total download seems likely to take too long, are there particular tracks you might recommend, and potential download times for them?
Thanks,
Rouvin

Kaliar,

How do the tracks compare to the RealTraps CD with the bass test tones at 1hz increments for 10hz up to ????(I think 200hz)

I haven't actually looked at Michael "Bink" Knowles tracks yet... :confused:

EricE said:
Kaliar,

How do the tracks compare to the RealTraps CD with the bass test tones at 1hz increments for 10hz up to ????(I think 200hz)

I haven't actually looked at Michael "Bink" Knowles tracks yet... :confused:
Hi EricE,

I have no idea how they compare because I have never tried the RealTraps CD ! However, tracks 11-44 on the Bink CD are 34 pure sine wave tones at the following frequencies: 16, 20, 25, 31.5, 40, 50, 60, 63, 70, 80, 90, 100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 315, 400, 500, 630, 800, 1250, 1600, 2K, 2500, 3150, 4k, 5k, 6300, 8k, 10k, 12500, 16k and 20k.

Hope this helps !

Rouvin said:
Kaliar,
For those of us (at least, me) who cannot get DSL, who find the ticket for satellite internet a bit too high, and who lack a lot or internet savvy (quite a list of sins in today's world), how long might a download on a regular 56K modem take for this set of tracks? If the total download seems likely to take too long, are there particular tracks you might recommend, and potential download times for them?
Thanks,
Rouvin
Hi Rouvin,

According to the author, dowloading the full set would "take anywhere from 40 minutes to 2 hours, depending on your speed." Since you are on dial-up, the first thing would be to forget tracks 57 (94M) and 58 (184M), much too large.

I would download from the following subset:

- Tracks 1-2: Track Identification (~1M)

- Track 5: 1000Hz (2.7M)

- Track 6: Log Tone Sweep (5M)

- Track 7: Linear Tone Sweep (5.2M)

- Tracks 45-47: Piano (708K), Drums (5M and 5.7M)

- Tracks 59: Silence (20K)

The preceding ZIP files total approximately 25M. I don't know how long it would take you to download them...

Then, I would download the following:

- Tracks 11-44: Pure sine wave tones form 16Hz to 20KHz (about 1.5M each)

And, if you have a subwoofer, tracks 8-10 (LF Warbles) would be of interest. However, they are about 9M each...

Enjoy!

Kaliar said:
The preceding ZIP files total approximately 25M. I don't know how long it would take you to download them...

If I remember my 56k days - it has been awhile, it was around 1MB - 3 to 4 Min or about 15MB/Hour......now like I said, it has been awhile... :confused:

Dan

DTB300 said:
If I remember my 56k days - it has been awhile, it was around 1MB - 3 to 4 Min or about 15MB/Hour......now like I said, it has been awhile... :confused:

Dan
You're right, Dan! I just fired up the notebook and made a download test with the 56K dial-up modem. It took 16.5 minutes to get a 5M file (#6). :eek:

Latest posts

Back