BIG news from ML coming out of 2016 CES...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the panel really larger or just Summit sized?

Yes at CES they had a Summit next to a Rennisaance the Rennisance was larger with a laager panel. Personally I wou say the Rennisance looked sturdier. I'm not condemning th Summit just saying for $25k I would expect a sturdier build

Gary

Last edited:
I like the product design but do not like the price. The first generation of ML though expensive was less expensive

then successive generations. i understand whether a item is expensive or not is a relative concept. A competitor company has managed to not let

the price of its products increase too much. Magneplanar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what everybody was expecting. If you are going to put 2 x 12" sealed woofers in that base it is going to have to get bigger to work properly. And with the wider 15" stat panel it will have to be wider as well. Not really an issue for me as I will NOT be in the market for $25K speakers any time soon (or ever for that matter). I don't really have a problem with the look of the new Renaissance ESL, it is just what it need s to be to fit the technology into it. I thought ML nailed the aesthetic proportions on the Montis/Summits, but all I could afford was the Ethos (which also look great in my opinion, especially w/ the teak finish). It will be interesting to see what the trickle down effect will be. Or maybe some Montis at close out prices may be in order. We'll see.

I have nothing against the new Renaissance. Based on that short video it sounds like they are a nice evolution and highly desirable if you are in the market for a speaker of that caliber.

They do look substantial and in that price range substantial is an asset. I think they might even grow on me.

To those of you considering this speaker, have fun!

Yes at CES they had a Summit next to a Rennisaance the Rennisance was larger with a laager panel. Personally I wou say the Rennisance looked sturdier. I'm not condemning th Summit just saying for $25k I would expect a sturdier build

Gary

I spent a good bit of time with the Renaissance ESL 15A. Superficially, and from the front, it looks a bit like the Summit but with a much wider CLS panel. From the side, it has a much deeper woofer cabinet (needed for 2 12" subs and amplifiers). Sonically, the Venetian hotel rooms are a little better than the "bat cave" but have a number of room anomalies that I am not sure were completely corrected by the ARC software. That said, the sound was pretty sensational and these guys, like the Neoliths last year, while big, disappeared in the room. About the concerns for $25K price point. M-L is not aiming at the Neolith buyers but at those who either want some of the virtues of the CLX with better bass (the CLX will still stay in the line) or a substantial upgrade over the Summit X. If I did not already have the CLXs and a pair of Balanced Force 212 subs (retail easily above the Renaissance and much more work to set up in a listening room), I would give these guys serious consideration. While it is easy to opine about price and looks without experiencing these speakers, it would behoove those wishing to upgrade their ML systems to at least audition them at their dealers when they start shipping this spring.

The price doesn't bother me, we knew ML was going higher in price, I just wander what will be new base price for the upper line. Like I stated I would not be surprised to see $10k be the new bottom. An almost $5k price tag for the new larger Esl Motion speaker telegraphs that.

I like the product design but do not like the price. $25k is too much. The first generation of ML though expensive was less expensive

then successive generations. i understand whether a item is expensive or not is a relative concept. A competitor company has managed to not let

the price of its products increase too much. Magneplanar.

Then buy a Magneplanar.

I spent a good bit of time with the Renaissance ESL 15A. Superficially, and from the front, it looks a bit like the Summit but with a much wider CLS panel. From the side, it has a much deeper woofer cabinet (needed for 2 12" subs and amplifiers). Sonically, the Venetian hotel rooms are a little better than the "bat cave" but have a number of room anomalies that I am not sure were completely corrected by the ARC software. That said, the sound was pretty sensational and these guys, like the Neoliths last year, while big, disappeared in the room. About the concerns for $25K price point. M-L is not aiming at the Neolith buyers but at those who either want some of the virtues of the CLX with better bass (the CLX will still stay in the line) or a substantial upgrade over the Summit X. If I did not already have the CLXs and a pair of Balanced Force 212 subs (retail easily above the Renaissance and much more work to set up in a listening room), I would give these guys serious consideration. While it is easy to opine about price and looks without experiencing these speakers, it would behoove those wishing to upgrade their ML systems to at least audition them at their dealers when they start shipping this spring.

By "better bass" I assume you mean more bass? I would think the CLX with a dedicated stat bass panel would have better/more seamless integration of bass than the Renaissance.

BTW, looks much better in the video, I like the new changes, formidable! :)

Anyone any idea why it is called the 15A? Any logic behind it?

I suppose 15 refers to the width of the 15 inch panel, and perhaps A means Active bass module. Perhaps we will see a Renaissance series more or less consisting of 15A, 15P, 12A, 12P, 10A, 10P to replace the whole lineup from Theos to Summit X and above. I would like to see that happen!

The new larger Electromotion probably replaces the Theos. Ethos will be replaced, Sumit and Montis will probably be replaced by one speaker. And CLX is not longed for this world.

The Renaissance looks awesome to me. Plenty of worthy competition in the market but, in the end, I'm sure these will be worth every penny to the person who is looking at speakers at this price point.

"For the first time in an electrostatic speaker we are introducing the integration of exclusive Anthem Room Correction (ARC) technology. By engaging ARC, you can experience performance on par with MartinLogan's audio test lab.
ARC measures sound output in your room and compares it to optimal response curves that account for spatial anomalies. The advanced algorithms of ARC then effectively remove the anomalies, leaving only the ideal standard: transparent, natural-sounding performance in the listening space."

Room correction in an audiophile product?!!??:cool:
Awesome DSP application. It's been some time since its been possible to input a voltage signal to our speakers that is sans audible distortion; it's about time to start correcting all the distortion that speakers add to the equation.

Why not, if it works! Speaker/room interaction anomalies can really degrade fidelity, no matter how expensive the speaker. DSP/Room EQ is the wave of the future (pun intended).

Awesome DSP application. It's been some time since its been possible to input a voltage signal to our speakers that is sans audible distortion; it's about time to start correcting all the distortion that speakers add to the equation.

:confused::confused::confused: With respect, gentlemen, your sarcasm detectors are busted. I've been the poster child for the application of SotA DSP for going on 7 years. First with a TacT pre/pro, and now using a Trinnov MC.

Last edited:
:confused::confused::confused: With respect, gentlemen, your sarcasm detectors are busted. I've been the poster child for the application of SotA DSP for going on 7 years. First with a TacT pre/pro, and now using a Trinnov MC.
I too use (limited) DSP with my Sanders setup but my excitement lies moreso with the fact that we are on the cusp of seeing it offered by mainstream speaker manufacturers who I expect will be jumping on board and supplying not just "ideal" response curves but built-in DSP ways to correct for said ideal, after the room messes it all up from said ideal. Times are exciting. :D

I too use (limited) DSP with my Sanders setup but my excitement lies moreso with the fact that we are on the cusp of seeing it offered by mainstream speaker manufacturers who I expect will be jumping on board and supplying not just "ideal" response curves but built-in DSP ways to correct for said ideal, after the room messes it all up from said ideal. Times are exciting. :D
JBL has been doing that for a while, using Crown amps with built-in DSP and/or BSS processors to first correct a given speaker model to ideal anechoic behavior by applying model-specific filter sets, and then to provide tailorable target curves via ARCOS.

But yes, it is great to see ML applying this kind of technology to a new, "audiophile" product.

JBL has been doing that for a while, using Crown amps with built-in DSP and/or BSS processors to first correct a given speaker model to ideal anechoic behavior by applying model-specific filter sets, and then to provide tailorable target curves via ARCOS.

But yes, it is great to see ML applying this kind of technology to a new, "audiophile" product.
Indeed, such an ideal is the way of the future I suspect. Once more mainstream speaker companies start supplying such target curuves, and include DSP solutions for DRC, we will be all set. BTW, I have a QSC PLD 4.3 DSP and have run it on my CLSes with great results.

Back