Bi wiring ML SL3 question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lehelke3

Reaction score
Currently have a Rotel 1582MKII stereo amp running a pair of ML SL3 speakers. Would like to bi wire to see if I can improve sound.
Looks Ike my amp has 4 posts for each channel so I think I figured out how to wire, but I do have a question about the wires !

Is it true the both wires going to panel and woofers should be the same and also same lenght or should I use a heavier 10 gauge for woofers and 14 gauge for panels ?

Also should they be the same lenght for best results ?

Attachments

• 20221106_172826.jpg
    20221106_172826.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Bi amping would require twio amps...which I don't have. I was told....or I actually read it here and there that bi wiring could also make a difference?

To be honest I don't even understand why or when would anyone bi wire speakers !

I just want to experiment with what I have :)

Bi amping would require twio amps...which I don't have. I was told....or I actually read it here and there that bi wiring could also make a difference?

To be honest I don't even understand why or when would anyone bi wire speakers !

I just want to experiment with what I have :)
I don't think it matters if one cable is a different gauge than the other. I'd just be sure that neither wire is smaller gauge or lower quality than what you're using now.

Depending on your setup, you won't need two amp. I'm bi-amp'n my ML (fronts) with the 5-channel Marantz M7055. For each speaker, the panel uses a channel and the driver uses a channel. So that's 4 channels for the fronts and the fifth channel is used for my center. Then I have a Marantz SR6015 running my surrounds and Atmos. With dedicated/seperated power going to the fronts, you will definitely hear a difference. This also takes some of the responsibility off your receiver so it doesn't work so hard.

I have SL3's as well and I have them bi-wired to an audio research VS110 and they still sound fantastic. I can't tell you I can hear a difference as my decision was based on a relatively small up charge to the speaker wire I was buying, Shunyata Lyra, to make them bi-wired vs. head to head testing. The idea they sold me on was that any of the undershoot or overshoot of the woofer, due to momentum, will generate electricity/signal that will flow up into the panel and possibly cause distortion. By bi-wiring you increase the path length that the signal has to travel in order to get to the panel and that signal will be lessened by traveling the 16 feet in my case (8' to amp and 8' back to speaker) and therefor have less impact on the signal going to the panel. If you have the wire to test it might be a fun experiment. I can say I have bi-amped the SL3s as well and that did sound better in every way, but I was using a solid state amp for the woofers and the tube amp for the panels and they had different output levels which prevented me leaving it set up like that.

Back