Bi Amping

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

zee

I’m thinking of using a tube amp on my panels and solid state on the sub of my Martin Logan Sequel IIs. I was wondering what would be a sufficient amount of power for the panels.

If your bi amping what are you using for the panels?

Also where can one find the specs for the panels of the Sequel IIs?

zee said:
I’m thinking of using a tube amp on my panels and solid state on the sub of my Martin Logan Sequel IIs. I was wondering what would be a sufficient amount of power for the panels.

If your bi amping what are you using for the panels?

Also where can one find the specs for the panels of the Sequel IIs?

Hola Zee. The stat panels at the Sequel II are cut at 250 Hz. You cans use a tube amp to drive them with no problem and a SS to drive the cone speakers for bass. My recommendation is to get an active electronic crossover, so you can adjust better the cut at 250 Hz. Also, the crossover has volume control for at least one of the amplifiers. This is good for the correct adjustment of the difference in sensitivity of the amplifiers. Usually the different brand of amplifiers don't match in this. The power to drive the panels depends a lot of your size of the room. I would say that any 50 W/ch tube amp. will drive them is a small room. If you have a big room, you will need more power. I had some time ago, my SL-3s with 50 W/ch Conrad Johnson tube MV-52 and for bass I had a Bryston 4B. The crossover was a Dalquist. the good thing is that the power amp for low frequency will only get at its imput the cut that you have previously selected, and the same for the high frequency amp.
Hope this can help...and happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Zee -

I tried this a long time ago with Sequels also. I used an ARC Classic 60 on top and an Aragon 2004 on the bottom. I eventually decided against biamping for two reasons: 1. There was a difference in continuity concerniing the 2 amps. They just didn't sound "right" together. 2. There was a pronounced hum in the woofer. I did not use an external crossover, which as Roberto suggested, might make a big difference.

..............and for my 2 cents worth. :)
I did bi-amp my Sequel II's with an amp that had two sets of outputs. It is a SS amp and it make them sound better. I would say a bit more "defined" and a bit more separation. I would think a tube amp of around 75 watts should be enough for an average room. I would go with more power in a SS amp, maybe 100 or better. An option would be to find an amp that had two sets of outputs or find two of the same amp. It only takes money. LOL

What Roberto describes will work and what aliveatfive describes is also a real problem with two entirely different amps. You may be able to pull this off with some type of an attenuator to balance the "volumes" between the amps. This would be the same if you were to power two sets of speakers being the same but using different amps.

Just a thought. :rolleyes:

Jeff

Info from previous bi-amping discussions

From searching this board...
I currently have my system in bi-amping configuration with tubes on the panels and solid-state driving the bass. System #27 in the member systems link. You can also do a search for my various posts here and get some more info on bi-amping. If that's not enough, you can always email me...

Bi-amping and Bi-wiring variations
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=460&highlight=spike+bi-amping

Bi-amping basics
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=401&highlight=spike+bi-amping

Spike

Latest posts

Back