Bi-amping CLX?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hola Tansr, why do you want to do that?. I am a very happy owner of the CLXs, and I do not find the reason why bi-amp. These speakers are not power hungry. I have a customer who is using only 25 watts (tube power amp Brand Viva mono blocks class A with the output tube 845) and the overall sound is very good, with impressive high SPL.

My power amp is a Conrad Johnson Classic One Twenty SE, and believe me, they do rock! The crossover of the CLX is is an art of work. Just peek there and see the quality parts and also the care that Martin Logan has been taking to design it. The crossover point is very precise. Also remember that the double stat bass panels are used and are bipolar config, while the mid is di-polar config.

Also, the design of the CLX is to have in mind the use of subs with them. If you need deeper bass, a sub is a must. There are two subs models with a special downloaded software at the ML site, to match the critical crossover point for the CLX. The BF-210 for small rooms or the BF-212 for bigger rooms. Perhaps this might help before you do the mod...

Please do not get me wrong here, this is my personal way of thinking, and my liking. I really do not have the courage to do what you are thinking to do. Please keep us posted with your results...but you have to do it with much careful. Keep in mind that the crossover is phase constant.

Happy listening!

I just posted the schematics for the CLX, or at least, what I have, which is a hand-drawn third-party reverse-engineering of the CLX crossover.

See: http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?17762-CLX-Schematic

That said, I agree with Roberto that adding a BF-212 or two would be a great first step. But if you already have subs, then nothing wrong with bi-amping, just not sure there's a big win there.

I'd say if bi-amping, go the next step and go full active. But that's a major technical challenge in terms of setup, and pretty easy to wind with worse outcomes. But if I ever wind up with a set of CLXs, that's the first thing I'd do.

Appreciate the comments guys. It's not about power (I have an amp that is perfectly capable of driving them) or going lower (I have a pair of Descent i subs). I believe that an active set up is inherently superior to a passive one (one amp channel driving one transducer allows the amp to behave more accurately) and bi-amping is a step towards going active.

Iansr, you should give a try the BF-212. With the software, the blend is superb! As you said, what your are seeking is quality, not quantity...I use the BF-210 with them, and I can understand the bass notes easelly, the one note bass is not here!...and really the bass is deep when the bass note has the deepness. The Descent i subs was what I had before.

Happy listening!

Iansr, you should give a try the BF-212. With the software, the blend is superb! As you said, what your are seeking is quality, not quantity...I use the BF-210 with them, and I can understand the bass notes easelly, the one note bass is not here!...and really the bass is deep when the bass note has the deepness. The Descent i subs was what I had before.

Happy listening!

Interesting that you think the BF subs are that much better than the Descent i subs. I think though that if I was going to upgrade the subs I'd go for the Wilson Benesch Torus

There is nothing to lose and a lot to win. Please read the special features that you can have with them...just the special precision cut frequency for the CLX the BF-212 pr BF-210 to blend beautifully. This feature is outstanding! As I am telling you, nothing to lose with a try. Each sub comes with a flash drive and you have to download this special software for the specific cut frequency for them, the CLXs and the subs...also, the performance of the subs are totally different than the Descent i. They go deeper and their musicality is evident right away!. You can distinguish easely the difference in a F and a F# musical notes. Also the coherence with the bass notes are magnificent.

Happy listening!

I concur with Roberto, a pair of BF212's would be the ideal subs for a CLX setup. In addition to the matched crossover, there is the huge benefit of ARC room correction. That alone would set it apart from other options.

Back