Bi-amp or get a bigger amp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wushu2000

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a pair of ascents being driven by a Musical Fidelity A3cr stereo amp rated at 120 into 8 ohms. Which setup would be better? Two A3crs to biamp each speaker or pickup two monoblocks rated at 250 into 8 ohms? would use the amps for both music and HT.
Thanks!
Duane

Monos!

My own preference with MLs is to use a single amplifier. Reasoning is that if you bi-amp, each element of the speaker (woofer and panel) has a different impedance so you may get some very strange equalisation effects.

Some people bi-amp to good effect by using tubes for the panels and ss for the woofer, but IMO you'll find that two identical stereo amps will make for a somewhat dissappointing sound.

Cheers,

David

My vote is for bi-amping, tubes on top

If you're considering bi-amping at all, I'd seriously consider having tubes on the panels and solid-state for the bass. I feel that bi-amping with the same solid-state amplifier only gets you half-way to the ultimate solution. Of course, this is just my opinion...

Spike

What about using a Sunfire amp? The have current and voltage outputs for each front channel? Has anyone tried this?

Back