Bi Amp Concern?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominick22

Reaction score
Do I need to worry about what frequencies are delivered to the woofer and ESl panel when Bi-amping the Ascent i's?

I bi amped my speakers, but I was wondering if they take care of cancelling out the high frequencies to the woofer and low frequencies to the ESL??

Or do I need an external crossover?

Do I need to have a concern here?

Thanks,
Dominick

The internal (sophisticated) cross-over takes care of routing the signal to the appropriate panel & (bass) driver. The cross-over is sophisticated in the sense that it has a step-up transformer converting the signal from the amplifier's output to high-voltage signal of equal amplitude but opposite polarity to drive the stators in a push-pull configuration to move the diaphragm.
Having an external cross-over does not help in this particular situation since you're adding more components into the signal chain in addition to the internal cross-over which cannot be bypassed according to Jim Power of ML.

Spike

OK,
The reason I was concerned was becuase I can make out a pretty substantial portion of the music when the ESL is not even on. It almost seems like the Subs are producing the entire musical spectrum. Or at least, they are trying to.

I guess they are supposed to though.
If anyone else can reaffirm that everything is safe before I really crank the volume, I'd appreciate it!

Dominick

Dominick22 said:
OK,
The reason I was concerned was becuase I can make out a pretty substantial portion of the music when the ESL is not even on. It almost seems like the Subs are producing the entire musical spectrum. Or at least, they are trying to.

I guess they are supposed to though.
If anyone else can reaffirm that everything is safe before I really crank the volume, I'd appreciate it!

Dominick
Hola Dominick...yes, you are right! What you are hearing is the response of the woofer out the their cut at 280 Hz. But this cut does not means that you don´t get anything up from this frequency cut...yes, you do! The cut start to work at 12 dBs/octave, this is at 560 Hz you have this octave frequency at -12dBs, then the next octave 1.120 Hz would be at -24 dBs...Same thing for the stat panel, at 140 Hz the signal is -24 dBs, if I´m not wrong. The crossover is for the woofer -12dBs and for the panel is -24dBs. There are other crossovers that their cut is 12dBs/6dbs (highs and lows)...So what you are listening is normal, and yes, a lot of music is played by the woofers too, not only bass. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Roberto-

Great response to my question. Thanks a ton-Now I feel much better about the set up!

Dominick

Back