Better as a CD player: old Pioneer DV09 or Sony Blu Ray Player bdp500???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordonmenninger

Reaction score
I have an old Pioneer Elite DV09 DVD player in my storage closet that has been collectind dust over the past years... I have to get it fixed however as it just powers up, and 5 seconds later powers back down all by itself! :(

I have been using my first generation Sony Blu ray player (Model bdp500 - NOT the cheap 550) as my cd player and it sounds pretty good - except for the ridiculously long load times of this thing!
The Pioneer was THE top of the line DVD player back in 99 or so and is built like a tank (I think it weighs close to 40 lbs!) I read some reviews that also said that it supposedly had a very nice audio section in it?

Any of you guys have any suggestions on if it is worth getting fixed? I am currently using it with my old Theta Casa Nova (which I will be selling shortly) processor until the new Emotiva processor is released.

Any ideas? thanks!
gordon

I have a DV-05 (and still do) and like it as a DVD or CD player. However it does not reside in my system to primarily play CD's. I remember the DV-09 as the heavyweight brother of the DV-05 and that it also received very good reviews at the time.

I would say get an estimate and see if they will apply the estimate to the repair cost if you decide to go for the repair. Sounds like something in the power supply section is amiss and should be repairable. It was also an expensive piece if I remember correctly, my DV-05 cost $1k back then. I would go for it.

I have a DV-05 (and still do) and like it as a DVD or CD player. However it does not reside in my system to primarily play CD's. I remember the DV-09 as the heavyweight brother of the DV-05 and that it also received very good reviews at the time.

I would say get an estimate and see if they will apply the estimate to the repair cost if you decide to go for the repair. Sounds like something in the power supply section is amiss and should be repairable. It was also an expensive piece if I remember correctly, my DV-05 cost $1k back then. I would go for it.

THanks, yes this puppy had a msrp of $2,000 back then - not too shabby for a Pioneer DVD player! THis thing is build like an absolute tank and is 19" wide and weighs close to 40 lbs! I did some research on it and reviewers were always raving about its amazing sound quality... I took it in today, and hope they have a quote for me by end or the week. i am pretty sure I will get it repaired unless they want something crazy for it like $3-400 or so!

Back