Best Vacuum For Stat Cleaning???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominick22

Reaction score
I just returned from a 12 day vacation and figured this would be a good time to vacuum my Ascent i's and clarity's since they have been disconnected while gone.

I dont have any good vacuuming tools so I was wondering if anyone could suggest a product?? Obviously, I am looking for a good adapting tool and high suction.

Experiance stories wanted!

Thanks,
Dominick

I use a Rigid Shop Vac with the circular brush attachment. I only use that specific attachment for my SL3 panels. Seems to work fine and yes there was a noticable improvement in my case.

Not that I've done it, but I would think that you would not want to get high powered vacuum too close to the panel for fear of potential damage.

You should check with the guys at ML first, but I was told no vacuum could damage the mylar panels. They are quite strong.

FWIW, since I am new to M/L (as of last Dec) this vacuming thing has been somewhat of a learning curve. I have discovered that the use of a Horsehair vacum brush in itself does not create the static electricity that a synthetic haired brush does.

horsehair attatchment? Where did you find that and what exact vacuum are you using?

Dominick

Dominick22 said:
horsehair attatchment? Where did you find that and what exact vacuum are you using?

Dominick

Any decent Vacum Repair / sales store should sell them, picked mine up for $5 one dollar more that a synthetic brush. It is the size that fits the attachment wand on your upright, in my case I use it with a small 2 gal shop-vac.

Dyson

I really like the Dyson vacs. They really suck ;)

Seriously, they get the crud off the panels pronto.

Dave,

You vacuum your Vantages now? Arent yours just about as old as my Summits? Maybe I need to start vacumming too.... :( .

I have a Rainbow E2 vacuum cleaner and it does a great job, not to mention the feature which allows me to also use it as an air-purifer throughout the day when I'm not home. http://www.rainbowsystem.com/eng/product.cfm

Also, does anyone know what the negative effects would be of vaccuming your speakers and not first letting the panels discharge? Now that I have my TV running through the HT bypass mode they are never turned off.

Joey_V said:
Dave,

You vacuum your Vantages now? Arent yours just about as old as my Summits? Maybe I need to start vacumming too.... :( .

Joey, I got in the practice of doing once a month from the get-go.

i thought the discharge issue was just if you were going inside to muck around with the electronics/corssover. I dont discharge my panel when I vaccuum.....would there be less charge and then an easier force needed to pull the dust off?

or does the plug-in or not issue not matter?

Cm

Sugar...

I'm not certain, but I would guess that you would find it hard to convince the panels to give up the dust if the were still charged and thus "attracting" it. If there's a deeper reason than that, I'm sure one of the more experienced folks here will chime in. :D

with the aid of a good paint brush...

Hola chicos...well what I do is with the help of a good quality of a paint brush made of any animal hair, I scrub the panel with the brush while holding with the other hand the hose of the vacuum cleaner with no attachment. This way I´m sure that the dust and debris will not get back to the stat panel. Perhaps this might help to some of you...happy listening,
Roberto.

David Prall said:
Sugar...

I'm not certain, but I would guess that you would find it hard to convince the panels to give up the dust if the were still charged and thus "attracting" it. If there's a deeper reason than that, I'm sure one of the more experienced folks here will chime in. :D

You're right on the money Dave.

JonFo said:
I really like the Dyson vacs. They really suck ;)

Seriously, they get the crud off the panels pronto.

I use a Dyson vac too with no attachment - just my hand between the nozzle and the panel.

Latest posts

Back